Able to Contact Authors?

(Formerly the "Support, Feedback and Forum Announcements" forum.)
Please help us make Online Book Club even better! Please post suggestions, feedback and ideas for new features. Wild brainstorming and potentially 'crazy ideas' are super-strongly encouraged! :)

For new members (or old members who run into an issue), please make a post in this forum asking any questions you have about using the site and how it works that are not answered in the FAQ. Not only are we happy help you, but also we can use your feedback to make the site better for tomorrow's new member! A lot of the instructions throughout the site and answers in the FAQ are there because someone else pointed out that it wasn't clear before.

---

IMPORTANT: The Public Suggestion Box is NOT for discussing issues with the Review Team. If you are a reviewer and need help, please first check the Review Team Page and then if you still need help use the Review Team Support Forum. If you are an author and need help, please first check the Author Dashboard and if that does not resolve your issue use the private contact form. For reference, there is a contact link on every page of the website.

---

To ensure the above procedures are used, posts by new members in the Suggestion Box will be held for moderation.

There are over 240,000 members at OnlineBookClub.org. Following the proper procedures to get help or make suggestions actually helps us help you much faster.
Forum rules
Please do not discuss issues related to the Review Team in the Public Suggestion Box. If you have an issue or question related to the review Team, please check either the Author Dashboard (if you are an author or publisher), or check the Review Team Page (if you are a reviewer).
MarisaRose
Member of the Month
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 62
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 400
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Sleepwalker
Bookshelf Size: 317
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: A yard full of Wonder by Jean McCarthy
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Able to Contact Authors?

Post by MarisaRose » 12 Dec 2016, 13:36

Hi all!

I just read a book for OBC and already submitted an official review. I thoroughly enjoyed the novel and was wondering if there is anyway to contact the author? I greatly enjoyed this book and would love to start a dialogue with the author about the novel. Is this in any way possible? I understand authors and reviewers don't communicate during the review process, but I was curious, since the review is already written and submitted, would this be possible?

Thanks in advance for any responses! :tiphat:
"No two persons ever read the same book." -Edmund Wilson

Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
2018 Reading Goal: 65
2017 Reading Goal: 60
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 55
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 78
Favorite Author: Too many to list
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: Black
Bookshelf Size: 884

Post by Gravy » 12 Dec 2016, 20:29

I'll tag @"Scott", but would suggest pming him about it :tiphat:
If we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them.

We've all got light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That's who we really are.

Scott
Site Admin
2018 Reading Goal: 52
2017 Reading Goal: 36
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 5
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 25
Favorite Author: Voltairine de Cleyre
Currently Reading: The Woman in the Window
Bookshelf Size: 228
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 2660
Signature Addition: testtesttest

Post by Scott » 13 Dec 2016, 14:16

Hi, it is prohibited by both the terms of the Review Team and the Review Request offer for authors and reviewers to contact each other privately. Your understanding is appreciated.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid

MarisaRose
Member of the Month
2017 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 62
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 400
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Sleepwalker
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: A yard full of Wonder by Jean McCarthy
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose » 13 Dec 2016, 14:18

Okay, thanks for the response!
"No two persons ever read the same book." -Edmund Wilson

LV2R
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 92
Favorite Book: And Then I Met Margaret
Currently Reading: Resilience: A Workbook
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: The Other Kind of Smart by Harvey Deutschendorf

Post by LV2R » 21 Aug 2018, 19:42

Scott wrote:
13 Dec 2016, 14:16
Hi, it is prohibited by both the terms of the Review Team and the Review Request offer for authors and reviewers to contact each other privately. Your understanding is appreciated.
I have connected with some authors on Linkedin. How would I know if they have requested a review on OBC website? Do we have a list of the authors somewhere? Do we just go by what we see as posted or the BOTD books and authors? It is my intention to follow the OBC guidelines well and to the best of my knowledge. Thanks for your help.

bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
2017 Reading Goal: 52
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: Bush Blues by sheldon schmitt

Post by bookowlie » 24 Aug 2018, 07:22

Since you have connnected with some authors on social media, then once you accept a review book, your communication should end at that point (if there was previous communication with that author).
"I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship" - Louisa May Alcott

LV2R
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 92
Favorite Book: And Then I Met Margaret
Currently Reading: Resilience: A Workbook
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: The Other Kind of Smart by Harvey Deutschendorf

Post by LV2R » 24 Aug 2018, 08:03

bookowlie wrote:
24 Aug 2018, 07:22
Since you have connnected with some authors on social media, then once you accept a review book, your communication should end at that point (if there was previous communication with that author).
Ok, then that makes sense and is clear. Thanks.

bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
2017 Reading Goal: 52
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: Bush Blues by sheldon schmitt

Post by bookowlie » 24 Aug 2018, 09:08

Just to be clear, I am not speaking on behalf of the site. I am just giving an opinion based on what seems practical.
"I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship" - Louisa May Alcott

Return to “Public Suggestion Box”