Reviewer Score Suggestion

(Formerly the "Support, Feedback and Forum Announcements" forum.)
Please help us make Online Book Club even better! Please post suggestions, feedback and ideas for new features. Wild brainstorming and potentially 'crazy ideas' are super-strongly encouraged! :)

For new members (or old members who run into an issue), please make a post in this forum asking any questions you have about using the site and how it works that are not answered in the FAQ. Not only are we happy help you, but also we can use your feedback to make the site better for tomorrow's new member! A lot of the instructions throughout the site and answers in the FAQ are there because someone else pointed out that it wasn't clear before.

---

IMPORTANT: The Public Suggestion Box is NOT for discussing issues with the Review Team. If you are a reviewer and need help, please first check the Review Team Page and then if you still need help use the Review Team Support Forum. If you are an author and need help, please first check the Author Dashboard and if that does not resolve your issue use the private contact form. For reference, there is a contact link on every page of the website.

---

To ensure the above procedures are used, posts by new members in the Suggestion Box will be held for moderation.

There are over 240,000 members at OnlineBookClub.org. Following the proper procedures to get help or make suggestions actually helps us help you much faster.
Forum rules
Please do not discuss issues related to the Review Team in the Public Suggestion Box. If you have an issue or question related to the review Team, please check either the Author Dashboard (if you are an author or publisher), or check the Review Team Page (if you are a reviewer).
User avatar
samiam013
Posts: 50
Joined: 01 Jul 2018, 19:51
2018 Reading Goal: 35
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 154
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading: Gringo
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samiam013.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci by Belle Ami
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Location: Lost In A Great Book

Re: Reviewer Score Suggestion

Post by samiam013 » 08 Jul 2018, 14:33

Just found this topic, am new to the site, but have to agree. Would much rather be able to just focus on reading and reviewing and not have to go through the other steps. I do understand why we have the other ways in place though to get more author's names out there which is great as well. Either way I am very happy to have found this site!!

User avatar
Helen_Combe
Posts: 1548
Joined: 18 Feb 2018, 12:17
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 142
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: Shepherding Cassie by Michael Oborn
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC
Location: Solihull, UK

Post by Helen_Combe » 09 Jul 2018, 09:50

samiam013 wrote:
08 Jul 2018, 14:33
Just found this topic, am new to the site, but have to agree. Would much rather be able to just focus on reading and reviewing and not have to go through the other steps. I do understand why we have the other ways in place though to get more author's names out there which is great as well. Either way I am very happy to have found this site!!
I have mixed feelings over this. I do find the slow rise frustrating, but then in the other hand, I also find it rather exciting; it’s all a big game.
It’s good in a way that it stops new members from hammering to the top of the review ladder without giving anything back to the site. Also, the exposure that we give authors by doing the book of the day adds to the reason why they come here, so to have one, you need the other.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.

User avatar
Julie Green
Posts: 136
Joined: 31 May 2018, 17:36
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 40
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: White Night by J.J. Holt
Location: London

Post by Julie Green » Yesterday, 04:49

I was thinking of suggesting an idea about reviewer scores and this thread seems like a good place, as it might help with the issue being discussed. I was thinking it might be helpful if reviews with higher editorial scores could be given greater exposure (placed higher up review lists, left there longer etc.), thereby helping to increase their popularity. It would be an incentive to write quality reviews too. Apols if this idea has already been suggested...

User avatar
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Posts: 7346
Joined: 25 Oct 2014, 09:52
2017 Reading Goal: 52
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 307
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: Boomer rhymes cuckoo as a trump hairdo by Tom J Davis

Post by bookowlie » Yesterday, 11:44

Julie Green wrote:
Yesterday, 04:49
I was thinking of suggesting an idea about reviewer scores and this thread seems like a good place, as it might help with the issue being discussed. I was thinking it might be helpful if reviews with higher editorial scores could be given greater exposure (placed higher up review lists, left there longer etc.), thereby helping to increase their popularity. It would be an incentive to write quality reviews too. Apols if this idea has already been suggested...
I am pretty sure the higher placement on the list and how long the review stays higher up is based, in part, on the particular review package an author choose. If they pay more money, the review stay higher on the list for a longer period of time, is featured, etc.
"I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship" - Louisa May Alcott

User avatar
Julie Green
Posts: 136
Joined: 31 May 2018, 17:36
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 40
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: White Night by J.J. Holt
Location: London

Post by Julie Green » Yesterday, 12:29

bookowlie wrote:
Yesterday, 11:44
Julie Green wrote:
Yesterday, 04:49
I am pretty sure the higher placement on the list and how long the review stays higher up is based, in part, on the particular review package an author choose. If they pay more money, the review stay higher on the list for a longer period of time, is featured, etc.
Ah fair enough, that makes sense - thanks for clarifying

Post Reply

Return to “Public Suggestion Box”