Reviewer Score Suggestion

(Formerly the "Support, Feedback and Forum Announcements" forum.)
Please help us make Online Book Club even better! Please post suggestions, feedback and ideas for new features. Wild brainstorming and potentially 'crazy ideas' are super-strongly encouraged! :)

For new members (or old members who run into an issue), please make a post in this forum asking any questions you have about using the site and how it works that are not answered in the FAQ. Not only are we happy help you, but also we can use your feedback to make the site better for tomorrow's new member! A lot of the instructions throughout the site and answers in the FAQ are there because someone else pointed out that it wasn't clear before.

---

IMPORTANT: The Public Suggestion Box is NOT for discussing issues with the Review Team. If you are a reviewer and need help, please first check the Review Team Page and then if you still need help use the Review Team Support Forum. If you are an author and need help, please first check the Author Dashboard and if that does not resolve your issue use the private contact form. For reference, there is a contact link on every page of the website.

---

To ensure the above procedures are used, posts by new members in the Suggestion Box will be held for moderation.

There are over 240,000 members at OnlineBookClub.org. Following the proper procedures to get help or make suggestions actually helps us help you much faster.
Forum rules
Please do not discuss issues related to the Review Team in the Public Suggestion Box. If you have an issue or question related to the review Team, please check either the Author Dashboard (if you are an author or publisher), or check the Review Team Page (if you are a reviewer).
Sarah_Khan
2018 Reading Goal: 80
2017 Reading Goal: 80
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 26
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 53
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: The Likeness
Bookshelf Size: 316
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: What Happened to Paul Carter? VOL I & II EDITTED by Katherine Cardosi

Re: Reviewer Score Suggestion

Post by Sarah_Khan » 16 Oct 2016, 15:35

TrishaAnn92 wrote:That is a shame. I hope you are able to reachieve where you were at. I keep at it because ao enjoy being on here and am a stay at home mom but I know there are others that try and try and have other importsnt things to do.
Yeah hopefully and thanks! Overall, this is a great site and I am happy I found it, :D just wish that my hard work hadn't just disappeared.  :? 

Scott
Site Admin
2018 Reading Goal: 52
2017 Reading Goal: 36
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 5
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 25
Favorite Author: Voltairine de Cleyre
Currently Reading: The Woman in the Window
Bookshelf Size: 228
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 2660
Signature Addition: testtesttest

Post by Scott » 16 Oct 2016, 16:23

Thanks for the feedback everyone. :)

The points for entering the giveaway are added as bonus points in the popularity score. This is to give those who struggle to get those points an alternative way to get some of those points for popularity. It's possible to get the full 40 for popularity without sharing the Book of the Day. That's how it used to be for most of the history of the review team. For most of the history of the review team, there were no bonus points for sharing or connecting social accounts. It was only a results-based system in terms of how many views etc. that reviewers reviews were getting, which is the primary concern with the popularity portion of the reviewer score. Authors are paying for the reviews in part because the reviews will be seen by many people.

There is inherently going to be a strong correlation between (a) how hard it is to become a higher level and higher scored reviewer versus (b) what the rewards are and how high the payments are. The funds that provide the free books and payments for reviews have to come from somewhere. It's a lot work and effort spread out between a lot of people.

Some individuals focus on sharing their own reviews to build the popularity that way which is the more simple idea behind it and is great. But I like also having an alternative bonus for those who might struggle with that more simple concept but who go out of their way to help benefit the whole review team by sharing the Books of the Day, which have generally all been submitted for review to our team.

Someone in this topic mentioned how there seems to be plenty of books to review lately, for instance. That's in a big way thanks to those members who have been sharing the Book of the Day and increasing publicity for the whole website and review team. So I hate to see those members--if they happen to be on the review team--stuck at a low level because their own reviews aren't getting a ton of views and such.

Thanks for reading and thanks for your feedback. :)
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid

bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
2017 Reading Goal: 52
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 307
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: Boomer rhymes cuckoo as a trump hairdo by Tom J Davis

Post by bookowlie » 16 Oct 2016, 22:32

stoppoppingtheP wrote:I agree about having to enter the daily giveaways. Unfortunately I can't really enter them much since they always seem to take place when I'm sleeping, probably due to the time difference, and I don't really feel like getting up at 2AM to do this.
I am surprised you aren't able to enter the giveaways due to the time difference. I thought the chance to enter lasted for at least 12 hours, if not longer. Anyway, sorry it's inconvenient for you to enter.
"I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship" - Louisa May Alcott

hsimone
Lilimaster of Bookshelves
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 55
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 100
Currently Reading: The Golden Maple Tree
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hsimone.html
Latest Review: Elvis Blue by Lee Roberts
Publishing Contest Votes: 27

Post by hsimone » 17 Oct 2016, 03:27

bookowlie wrote:
stoppoppingtheP wrote:I agree about having to enter the daily giveaways. Unfortunately I can't really enter them much since they always seem to take place when I'm sleeping, probably due to the time difference, and I don't really feel like getting up at 2AM to do this.
I am surprised you aren't able to enter the giveaways due to the time difference. I thought the chance to enter lasted for at least 12 hours, if not longer. Anyway, sorry it's inconvenient for you to enter.
Yeah, definitely. There should be about a 24-hour window to participate in the daily giveaways. You don't have to enter as soon as it is posted. I, too, am in a different time zone for the time being, but have been able to participate fine. But, I am sorry you are having issues. Maybe contact Scott if the link to the giveaways doesn't stay open for you? Good luck!
"Love is patient, love is kind." -1 Corinthians 13:4

bookowlie
Currently Reading:

Post by bookowlie » 17 Oct 2016, 12:24

Scott wrote:Thanks for the feedback everyone. :)

The points for entering the giveaway are added as bonus points in the popularity score. This is to give those who struggle to get those points an alternative way to get some of those points for popularity. It's possible to get the full 40 for popularity without sharing the Book of the Day. That's how it used to be for most of the history of the review team. For most of the history of the review team, there were no bonus points for sharing or connecting social accounts. It was only a results-based system in terms of how many views etc. that reviewers reviews were getting, which is the primary concern with the popularity portion of the reviewer score. Authors are paying for the reviews in part because the reviews will be seen by many people.

There is inherently going to be a strong correlation between (a) how hard it is to become a higher level and higher scored reviewer versus (b) what the rewards are and how high the payments are. The funds that provide the free books and payments for reviews have to come from somewhere. It's a lot work and effort spread out between a lot of people.

Some individuals focus on sharing their own reviews to build the popularity that way which is the more simple idea behind it and is great. But I like also having an alternative bonus for those who might struggle with that more simple concept but who go out of their way to help benefit the whole review team by sharing the Books of the Day, which have generally all been submitted for review to our team.

Someone in this topic mentioned how there seems to be plenty of books to review lately, for instance. That's in a big way thanks to those members who have been sharing the Book of the Day and increasing publicity for the whole website and review team. So I hate to see those members--if they happen to be on the review team--stuck at a low level because their own reviews aren't getting a ton of views and such.

Thanks for reading and thanks for your feedback. :)
It's true that, up until last year, there were no bonus points for social media - just going up the points ladder based on avg. views and replies for your reviews. As you explained, there are so many angles to consider when coming up with the points formula. The biggest issue for authors to get the extra exposure in order to increase book sales. It's important that reviewers who get more views and replies on their reviews be rewarded with extra points, since they are able to give the author more exposure. Same with people who share the authors' books on social media. Here's the only thing that I feel is a little unbalanced when it comes to points - the views and replies automatically increase when a book is Book of the Day. Since the daily giveaway includes an extra entry for posting a comment, members usually post a comment on the review, no matter whether the review is interesting, the reviewer is unknown/been on the site for a week, the review is dull or poorly written, etc. Sure, over the course of time, many reviewers have gained the benefit of having a review be for the Book of the Day, so there isn't favoritism. Still, compared to the way things were done in the past, basically anyone can get a ton of points whether or not they write good, "popular" reviews...just by the luck of the draw of books that are the Book of the Day.

-- 17 Oct 2016, 13:47 --

Adding...I can see how it benefits the author to get increased views and replies when their book is Book of the Day. It just seems that the reviewer gains a freebie from this. At least, sharing the book on social media is something the reviewer is actively participating in.
"I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship" - Louisa May Alcott

Scott
Site Admin
2017 Reading Goal: 36
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 5
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 25
Favorite Author: Voltairine de Cleyre
Currently Reading: The Woman in the Window
Bookshelf Size: 228
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 2660
Signature Addition: testtesttest

Post by Scott » 17 Oct 2016, 13:14

That's very true about the Book of the Day boost.

I'd like to add a 'subscribe' or 'follow' option for reviewers such that the subscribers would get an email alert each time the reviewer has a new review published. This would be similar to how one can currently subscribe to a specific topic or forum to get notified of new posts or topics respectively. This is feature I'd like to add independently of the next sentence. I think it would be a much better way of measuring the popularity and reach of reviewers than views/replies.

The above might mitigate some of the 'Book of the Day boost' so to speak. I could also make the scoring formula a bit more sophisticated so that it measures previous Books of the Day separately from other reviews. Though, it's all averages anyway so with enough reviews it should average out regardless.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid

TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
2017 Reading Goal: 90
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 16
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 » 17 Oct 2016, 13:23

Scott wrote:That's very true about the Book of the Day boost.

I'd like to add a 'subscribe' or 'follow' option for reviewers such that the subscribers would get an email alert each time the reviewer has a new review published. This would be similar to how one can currently subscribe to a specific topic or forum to get notified of new posts or topics respectively. This is feature I'd like to add independently of the next sentence. I think it would be a much better way of measuring the popularity and reach of reviewers than views/replies.

I like the idea of adding a subscribe/follow button. It would help reviewers with getting views for their reviews and build a good following such as you would with sites like Twitter or Wordpress, etc.

The above might mitigate some of the 'Book of the Day boost' so to speak. I could also make the scoring formula a bit more sophisticated so that it measures previous Books of the Day separately from other reviews. Though, it's all averages anyway so with enough reviews it should average out regardless.
‘A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies,’ said Jojen. ‘The man who never reads lives only one.’

– George R. R. Martin

"I solemnly swear I am up to no good."
-Harry Potter

bookowlie
Currently Reading:

Post by bookowlie » 17 Oct 2016, 17:23

Whatever changes you decide to make, it's nice that there have been more review books to pick from. :) I am sure the extra marketing on social media and good ole' word of mouth through the website's growth helped a lot!

TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
2017 Reading Goal: 90
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 16
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 » 17 Oct 2016, 17:26

bookowlie wrote:

Whatever changes you decide to make, it's nice that there have been more review books to pick from. :) I am sure the extra marketing on social media and good ole' word of mouth through the website's growth helped a lot!
I agree. The site has changed and grown so much in the 3 years I have had the pleasure of being on here. :)
‘A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies,’ said Jojen. ‘The man who never reads lives only one.’

– George R. R. Martin

"I solemnly swear I am up to no good."
-Harry Potter

Kia
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 0
Currently Reading: Eye of the world
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kia.html
Latest Review: "Churchill's Assassin" by John Righten

Post by Kia » 17 Oct 2016, 17:45

I was actually thinking about suggesting that recently, so I'm glad you've thought of it! I try really hard to make sure I'm checking out the reviews of the people who check out mine (at a minimum), but it's almost impossible to keep up with it without some kind of notification.
"Yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it you can either run from it, or learn from it."- Rafiki

Kdonegan91
2018 Reading Goal: 10
Favorite Author: Wanda E. Brunstetter
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 202">Never Cry Again</a>
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdonegan91.html
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
Reading Device: 1400699169
fav_author_id: 19883

Post by Kdonegan91 » 08 Nov 2016, 23:10

Sarah_Khan wrote:
TrishaAnn92 wrote:I have to agree. I have been busting my chops trying to get my score higher but there are so many things you have to do, it is time consuming and feels nearly impossible.
I know, I'm in the same boat as you. I don't mean to complain or sound whiny but I have tried my best to increase my score but now since the point system has changed I've lost about 15 points which makes me unable to continue to participate in the First Ten program which sucks since I really enjoyed doing it and I have already committed my time to doing it everyday now it seems like I did it all for nothing. Plus for some reason I can't resubscribe to BOTD. :cry: 
This is exactly what happened to me. I genuinely enjoyed the First Ten reviews but now I am no longer allowed to participate. Also, the author of my most recent review is not responding to my private blurb so I feel like that was a waste of time. I was hoping to get those points so I could get back to a level 3 or 4. Once a reviewer reaches a level, we should not be dropped back down. I hate not being able to review additional books while waiting for the current review to be published especially when it can take a week.
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change. - Wayne Dyer

bookowlie
Currently Reading:

Post by bookowlie » 09 Nov 2016, 01:15

I know what you mean about the authors. I absolutely can't stand when an author either takes a really long time to approve the blurb or not at all. I have had this happen to me at least 3 times. I mean, these people paid to get a review....why would they delay the process?! At least, now there is a process where you can click on the link for the admin to process the blurb if there is no reply in a week. When I first joined, an author didn't reply for 5 weeks until I finally contacted Scott.

CatInTheHat
Bookshelves Moderator
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 67
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 98
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading: The Flower Girl Murder
Bookshelf Size: 458
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catinthehat.html
Latest Review: Two Sheldon Iowa Summers by Donald De Vries
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by CatInTheHat » 20 Nov 2016, 14:56

bookowlie wrote:I know what you mean about the authors. I absolutely can't stand when an author either takes a really long time to approve the blurb or not at all. I have had this happen to me at least 3 times. I mean, these people paid to get a review....why would they delay the process?! At least, now there is a process where you can click on the link for the admin to process the blurb if there is no reply in a week. When I first joined, an author didn't reply for 5 weeks until I finally contacted Scott.

A week is reasonable. Five is kind of crazy, glad that changed. I'm currently aggravated on my most recent review as it's been 5-6 days now and the author hasn't approved the blurb confirming I read the book yet.... but it's still within the week, so impatiently I wait to pick a new book. Thankfully, I'm only one point away from level 4 so it should be soon that I get that privilege of not waiting for the next one :)
Life without a good book is something the CatInTheHat cannot imagine.

Grateful to get the opportunity to explore new books with those in the OBC.

bookowlie
Currently Reading:

Post by bookowlie » 21 Nov 2016, 10:03

CatInTheHat wrote:
bookowlie wrote:I know what you mean about the authors. I absolutely can't stand when an author either takes a really long time to approve the blurb or not at all. I have had this happen to me at least 3 times. I mean, these people paid to get a review....why would they delay the process?! At least, now there is a process where you can click on the link for the admin to process the blurb if there is no reply in a week. When I first joined, an author didn't reply for 5 weeks until I finally contacted Scott.

A week is reasonable. Five is kind of crazy, glad that changed. I'm currently aggravated on my most recent review as it's been 5-6 days now and the author hasn't approved the blurb confirming I read the book yet.... but it's still within the week, so impatiently I wait to pick a new book. Thankfully, I'm only one point away from level 4 so it should be soon that I get that privilege of not waiting for the next one :)
The five week wait was certainly outside the norm. Looking back, I shouldn't have waited so long to ask about the non-response. At the time, you could pick a book right after submitting the review, no matter what level you were. I guess the policy changed at some point.

You mentioned that you are only one point away from the next level. Great!

CatInTheHat
Bookshelves Moderator
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 67
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 98
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading: The Flower Girl Murder
Bookshelf Size: 458
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catinthehat.html
Latest Review: Two Sheldon Iowa Summers by Donald De Vries
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by CatInTheHat » 21 Nov 2016, 11:35

bookowlie wrote:
The five week wait was certainly outside the norm. Looking back, I shouldn't have waited so long to ask about the non-response. At the time, you could pick a book right after submitting the review, no matter what level you were. I guess the policy changed at some point.

You mentioned that you are only one point away from the next level. Great!
It actually does make sense to have people wait in the beginning, until it is evident that their work is up to par.
Life without a good book is something the CatInTheHat cannot imagine.

Grateful to get the opportunity to explore new books with those in the OBC.

Return to “Public Suggestion Box”