Reviewer Score Suggestion

(Formerly the "Support, Feedback and Forum Announcements" forum.)
Please help us make Online Book Club even better! Please post suggestions, feedback and ideas for new features. Wild brainstorming and potentially 'crazy ideas' are super-strongly encouraged! :)

For new members (or old members who run into an issue), please make a post in this forum asking any questions you have about using the site and how it works that are not answered in the FAQ. Not only are we happy help you, but also we can use your feedback to make the site better for tomorrow's new member! A lot of the instructions throughout the site and answers in the FAQ are there because someone else pointed out that it wasn't clear before.

---

IMPORTANT: The Public Suggestion Box is NOT for discussing issues with the Review Team. If you are a reviewer and need help, please first check the Review Team Page and then if you still need help use the Review Team Support Forum. If you are an author and need help, please first check the Author Dashboard and if that does not resolve your issue use the private contact form. For reference, there is a contact link on every page of the website.

---

To ensure the above procedures are used, posts by new members in the Suggestion Box will be held for moderation.

There are over 240,000 members at OnlineBookClub.org. Following the proper procedures to get help or make suggestions actually helps us help you much faster.
Forum rules
Please do not discuss issues related to the Review Team in the Public Suggestion Box. If you have an issue or question related to the review Team, please check either the Author Dashboard (if you are an author or publisher), or check the Review Team Page (if you are a reviewer).
Rachaelamb1
2017 Reading Goal: 60
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 25
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Reviewer Score Suggestion

Post by Rachaelamb1 » 03 Oct 2016, 12:00

I have a suggestion regarding the reviewer score. I would love for there to be a level where your score stops changing. It would be really great once you reach the final level to not have to jump through so many hoops just to keep your score up. I feel like quality reviews are the most important part of being a reviewer, but then I have to read BOTM's that I am not interested in reading and be entering daily giveaways (which disappear if you miss one day?)
I love being a reviewer and being involved in the community of OBC, but I have to cut back on some parts of it or lose precious time with my children. Everything changes so often in regards to the scoring...sometimes for the better sometimes for the worse. I think it would be nice to give people who have worked hard on their reviews a break. Especially as there seem to be plenty of reviews to go around lately :)

bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
2017 Reading Goal: 52
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 318
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: Sally the Bold by Albert Alarcon Jr

Post by bookowlie » 03 Oct 2016, 12:28

I have to agree that the daily giveaways feel time-consuming to me since I haven't won once since the extra entries format was introduced. I don't mean that to sound like sour grapes since it's nice that other people are winning. I guess it just feel like work after a while when I never win. As for the BOTM's, it's not mandatory to read every monthly selection. Although the three most recent BOTM's are given more weight in the BOTM subscore, you also get some credit for the older ones.

BTW, it's nice that there are more review books to pick from in the past few months!
"I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship" - Louisa May Alcott

TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
2017 Reading Goal: 90
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 16
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 » 03 Oct 2016, 20:55

I have to agree. I have been busting my chops trying to get my score higher but there are so many things you have to do, it is time consuming and feels nearly impossible.
‘A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies,’ said Jojen. ‘The man who never reads lives only one.’

– George R. R. Martin

"I solemnly swear I am up to no good."
-Harry Potter

Rachaelamb1
2017 Reading Goal: 60
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 25
Favorite Author: CS Lewis
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... onwitch</a>
Currently Reading: Falling Star
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachaelamb1.html
Latest Review: "Dragon Born" by Ela Lourenco

Post by Rachaelamb1 » 04 Oct 2016, 01:28

Yeah I'm not trying to complain, but a lot of the things are time consuming. I know on one hand these extra things we do get more author's which results in more books to review and I don't mind participating in them when I can. I love helping authors, but being scored on that makes it a chore.
I have not participated very much in BOTM because I am a picky reader and poor...lol. The books I have wanted to read have been too expensive, though now I have an Amazon gift card, but I am not interested in the new BOTM's so I guess my score for a few months will be down.

TrishaAnn92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>

Post by TrishaAnn92 » 04 Oct 2016, 07:36

Rachaelamb1 wrote:Yeah I'm not trying to complain, but a lot of the things are time consuming. I know on one hand these extra things we do get more author's which results in more books to review and I don't mind participating in them when I can. I love helping authors, but being scored on that makes it a chore.
I have not participated very much in BOTM because I am a picky reader and poor...lol. The books I have wanted to read have been too expensive, though now I have an Amazon gift card, but I am not interested in the new BOTM's so I guess my score for a few months will be down.
:ditto:
‘A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies,’ said Jojen. ‘The man who never reads lives only one.’

– George R. R. Martin

-Harry Potter

MsMartha
2017 Reading Goal: 25
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 80
Currently Reading: Collected Works of Algernon Blackwood (Unabridged)
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msmartha.html
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by MsMartha » 04 Oct 2016, 08:39

Rachaelamb1 wrote:I have a suggestion regarding the reviewer score. I would love for there to be a level where your score stops changing.
I agree--I think you should be able to keep the score you've achieved. If you can't spend time doing some things then the score shouldn't decrease. And if it does, I think there should be a specific message indicating why that happened.

Wasif Ahmed
2017 Reading Goal: 200
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 22
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wasif-ahmed.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00THRCA6E
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Wasif Ahmed » 04 Oct 2016, 10:45

I agree. It consumes a lot of time to maintain your score. Once when a person has established himself as a reviewer, he/she should not be needed to maintain thier score.
When people say you've changed, it just means that you have stopped living your life, their way.

Kia
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 0
Currently Reading: Eye of the world
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kia.html
Latest Review: "Churchill's Assassin" by John Righten

Post by Kia » 14 Oct 2016, 09:50

I also agree. Past a certain point you've proved that you can write quality reviews. I think the only way you should be able to lose that is because of any penalties you may have been given. Speaking of which, does anyone know if those ever go away? I recently had a discrepancy with an author about a blurb (which is fine, and I understand why the penalty was given for it), so will I have those negative points forever, or is there a point where they will expire? I would really hate to be penalized over one mistake for the rest of the time I'm reviewing for this site.
"Yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it you can either run from it, or learn from it."- Rafiki

TrishaAnn92

Post by TrishaAnn92 » 14 Oct 2016, 09:54

I was wondering the same about the delay penalty...

– George R. R. Martin

-Harry Potter

bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
2017 Reading Goal: 52
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 318
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: Sally the Bold by Albert Alarcon Jr

Post by bookowlie » 14 Oct 2016, 10:36

Kia wrote:I also agree. Past a certain point you've proved that you can write quality reviews. I think the only way you should be able to lose that is because of any penalties you may have been given. Speaking of which, does anyone know if those ever go away? I recently had a discrepancy with an author about a blurb (which is fine, and I understand why the penalty was given for it), so will I have those negative points forever, or is there a point where they will expire? I would really hate to be penalized over one mistake for the rest of the time I'm reviewing for this site.
I thought Scott, at some point, implemented an "expiration" on a penalty after one year.
"I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship" - Louisa May Alcott

TrishaAnn92

Post by TrishaAnn92 » 14 Oct 2016, 10:43

I thought that was for having a warning put against us of we didn't follow the reviewer guidelines or didn't proof read. We had a number next to our name that only we could see showing what it was.

– George R. R. Martin

-Harry Potter

Kia
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 0
Currently Reading: Eye of the world
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kia.html
Latest Review: "Churchill's Assassin" by John Righten

Post by Kia » 14 Oct 2016, 11:12

bookowlie wrote:
Kia wrote:I also agree. Past a certain point you've proved that you can write quality reviews. I think the only way you should be able to lose that is because of any penalties you may have been given. Speaking of which, does anyone know if those ever go away? I recently had a discrepancy with an author about a blurb (which is fine, and I understand why the penalty was given for it), so will I have those negative points forever, or is there a point where they will expire? I would really hate to be penalized over one mistake for the rest of the time I'm reviewing for this site.
I thought Scott, at some point, implemented an "expiration" on a penalty after one year.
Thanks! That's kinda what I had in my head to be a fair timeline.
"Yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it you can either run from it, or learn from it."- Rafiki

stoppoppingtheP
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 23
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 30
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: Cactus Jumpers by Andrew J Burch
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by stoppoppingtheP » 14 Oct 2016, 12:42

I agree about having to enter the daily giveaways. Unfortunately I can't really enter them much since they always seem to take place when I'm sleeping, probably due to the time difference, and I don't really feel like getting up at 2AM to do this.

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed

Sarah_Khan
2018 Reading Goal: 80
2017 Reading Goal: 80
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 31
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 53
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: The Hot Zone
Bookshelf Size: 320
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: What Happened to Paul Carter? VOL I & II EDITTED by Katherine Cardosi

Post by Sarah_Khan » 16 Oct 2016, 14:50

TrishaAnn92 wrote:I have to agree. I have been busting my chops trying to get my score higher but there are so many things you have to do, it is time consuming and feels nearly impossible.
I know, I'm in the same boat as you. I don't mean to complain or sound whiny but I have tried my best to increase my score but now since the point system has changed I've lost about 15 points which makes me unable to continue to participate in the First Ten program which sucks since I really enjoyed doing it and I have already committed my time to doing it everyday now it seems like I did it all for nothing. Plus for some reason I can't resubscribe to BOTD. :cry: 

TrishaAnn92

Post by TrishaAnn92 » 16 Oct 2016, 14:57

Sarah_Khan wrote:
TrishaAnn92 wrote:I have to agree. I have been busting my chops trying to get my score higher but there are so many things you have to do, it is time consuming and feels nearly impossible.
I know, I'm in the same boat as you. I don't mean to complain or sound whiny but I have tried my best to increase my score but now since the point system has changed I've lost about 15 points which makes me unable to continue to participate in the First Ten program which sucks since I really enjoyed doing it and I have already committed my time to doing it everyday now it seems like I did it all for nothing. Plus for some reason I can't resubscribe to BOTD. :cry: 
That is a shame. I hope you are able to reachieve where you were at. I keep at it because ao enjoy being on here and am a stay at home mom but I know there are others that try and try and have other importsnt things to do.

– George R. R. Martin

-Harry Potter

Return to “Public Suggestion Box”