Email Verification Help

Discuss whatever your heart desires, just be civil. Posts made in this forum do not increase new members' post counts.
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Re: Email Verification Help

Post by AmySmiles »

Is there a possibility that the upgrade could be why we are having issues? I haven't had issues with my email until after that. I can't get the re-verification email to resend. I can receive email from everyone else though. I have been getting the book of the day emails though, but just noticed that when I go to the giveaway page it says I need to resend the re-verification email because emails to me have bounced.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

AmySmiles wrote: 17 Jul 2018, 13:16 Is there a possibility that the upgrade could be why we are having issues? I haven't had issues with my email until after that. I can't get the re-verification email to resend. I can receive email from everyone else though. I have been getting the book of the day emails though, but just noticed that when I go to the giveaway page it says I need to resend the re-verification email because emails to me have bounced.
Certain email providers like Yahoo and AOL have frequently had these issues. For years, this has been a recurring problem with certain email providers and not others. This forum topic alone is over 2.5 years old. The problem is that certain email providers will block or bounce suspected junk/spam with no notice to the recipient that they are missing some email. The recipient often doesn't even realize they are missing any emails, since they get most of their email and the suspected junk probably is junk.

The fact that we are sending email from a new server is very likely to get email flagged as potential junk. However, the vast majority of members who have our email flagged as junk just need to grab it out of their junk box.

It is not a problem for most members, and it is not a problem with most email providers. The problem is not on OnlineBookClub.org's end. I cannot force their email provider to not bounce emails. We are sending the emails just fine, and a very small percentage of members are having some of the emails we send bounce back with no notice to the recipient that some (potentially very important) email is being bounced. These members need to contact their email provider about the issue or get a better email provider. The biggest email provider in the world does not do this to their users. They put "blocked" email in a junk/spam folder
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
AmySmiles
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder

Post by AmySmiles »

Scott wrote: 17 Jul 2018, 13:35
AmySmiles wrote: 17 Jul 2018, 13:16 Is there a possibility that the upgrade could be why we are having issues? I haven't had issues with my email until after that. I can't get the re-verification email to resend. I can receive email from everyone else though. I have been getting the book of the day emails though, but just noticed that when I go to the giveaway page it says I need to resend the re-verification email because emails to me have bounced.
Certain email providers like Yahoo and AOL have frequently had these issues. For years, this has been a recurring problem with certain email providers and not others. This forum topic alone is over 2.5 years old. The problem is that certain email providers will block or bounce suspected junk/spam with no notice to the recipient that they are missing some email. The recipient often doesn't even realize they are missing any emails, since they get most of their email and the suspected junk probably is junk.

The fact that we are sending email from a new server is very likely to get email flagged as potential junk. However, the vast majority of members who have our email flagged as junk just need to grab it out of their junk box.

It is not a problem for most members, and it is not a problem with most email providers. The problem is not on OnlineBookClub.org's end. I cannot force their email provider to not bounce emails. We are sending the emails just fine, and a very small percentage of members are having some of the emails we send bounce back with no notice to the recipient that some (potentially very important) email is being bounced. These members need to contact their email provider about the issue or get a better email provider. The biggest email provider in the world does not do this to their users. They put "blocked" email in a junk/spam folder
I'll look into it, but I don't have anything in my spam folder either. I use yahoo. On another topic since I was able to get your attention here, there were a couple of messages forwarded to you from Gali - one regarding me not getting my bonus points for having an editorial score over 80% and another for a book I need a dispute closed on. Have you seen those come through? Thanks!
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Scott
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

I have 128 unread messages in my forum PM inbox. I will hopefully go through them all by tomorrow night, but there are error report streams (e.g. error reports submitted through the Review Team Page) that I always go through first. I have a daily checklist in a specific that I try to go through each day but don't always make it all the through. This is one reason I unfortunately can't take the time to individually look into email bounce issues on an individual case-by-case basis if the member experiencing such an issue has not yet contacted and received a reply from their email provider.

Thank you for your patience. :)
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Scott wrote: 16 Jul 2018, 14:19
bookowlie wrote: 16 Jul 2018, 10:28 Since the latest system update, I have been receiving email updates on a delayed basis - several hours later and sometimes the next day. This morning I can't do the BOTD giveaway because a message says my emails have bounced. Please help as my carryover entries are over 500 and I am very close to winning a gift card.
@bookowlie The problem is with your email provider. The emails are being sent, but they are the ones bouncing the emails. You will need to contact AOL about the issue.

The issue of the emails appearing delayed is actually from them sometimes being automatically re-sent by OnlineBookClub.org after being bounced by your email provider.
The problem resolved itself as of last night (Monday night) and I was able to enter the giveaway. As of last night, I am received the OBC emails in a timely manner.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
tgunn1956
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by tgunn1956 »

I have followed instructions 1 through 4. As it is late, will resume efforts tomorrow with 5. E-mails are not arriving and will attempt further on the morrow. Thank you. tgunn1956
AmySmiles
Currently Reading:

Post by AmySmiles »

Weird how I got like 10 emails all at once in the middle of the night last night. Finally got one with re-verification link. Seemed to work. Don't know exactly where the problem lies as both places said it wasn't their issue.
–Author Unknown
Scott
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

AmySmiles wrote: 18 Jul 2018, 07:28 Weird how I got like 10 emails all at once in the middle of the night last night. Finally got one with re-verification link. Seemed to work. Don't know exactly where the problem lies as both places said it wasn't their issue.
@AmySmiles If you contacted Yahoo and they told you explicitly that the problem of emails we send to you bouncing was not on their end but ours, please forward that message from Yahoo to me ASAP. I will give you an email address you. If that is the case, then I am extremely confident whoever told you that at Yahoo is utterly wrong.

Itz Virtuoso

Post by Itz Virtuoso »

I tried resending the verification, but it seems I toiled for no avail. What is the resolution?
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Itz Virtuoso wrote: 24 Jul 2018, 16:03 I tried resending the verification, but it seems I toiled for no avail. What is the resolution?
Follow the instructions from the first post. :tiphat:
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Kensi190

Post by Kensi190 »

Made a typo error when filling my email address
Gravy

Post by Gravy »

Kensi190 wrote: 18 Aug 2018, 16:09 Made a typo error when filling my email address
You should use the contact forum to send the corrected email address and an admin will change it for you. :tiphat:

Abbaskhalid

Post by Abbaskhalid »

My email address is wrong how can i correct it ?

Thank you

Regards

Abbas
Gravy

Post by Gravy »

Abbaskhalid wrote: 01 Sep 2018, 03:34 My email address is wrong how can i correct it ?

Thank you

Regards

Abbas
Gravy wrote: 18 Aug 2018, 20:48
Kensi190 wrote: 18 Aug 2018, 16:09 Made a typo error when filling my email address
You should use the contact forum to send the corrected email address and an admin will change it for you. :tiphat:
This^

Mogbii11
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by Mogbii11 »

Done

Return to “Community & Off-Topic”