Help with getting started

So that we can provide faster and better support, this forum (the "Public Suggestion Box") has been retired. Instead, please send any suggestions you have to us using the official website contact form.

This allows us to streamline our support system so that we can get to your message much faster. Instead of our support staff having to check three different places (support forum, suggestion box, and contact form messages), they know can respond to all message through one method, with that one method being the official website contact form.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Tisiphone83
Bookshelf Size: 0

Help with getting started

Post by Tisiphone83 »

I am struggling to use this site.

I have tried to post twice, once to introduce myself, which got denied, and a second time to address the reason for decline on my first post that ALSO got declined.

Is there a place with a list of the rules for posting? I have never been on a message board that was so strict without helping newbies. I would love to address my concerns in a PM but I'm not even allowed to do that.

Any assistance would be appreciated.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

@Tisiphone83

Here are some links that may help

FAQ's page
Topic Creation Guidelines

Also, if the title was similar to existing threads, it would block it from being created. I believe this is mostly on new accounts. It only warns me now, instead of not allowing it.
It's not so bad really...once you get used to it. It keeps the forums pretty organized, and spam free for the most part.

I hope this helps...
I was in your shoes not too long ago :lol:
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Welcome to the site! As was suggested, read the above links. Also please read this as well:

Strict Anti-Spam Rules

New members are not permitted to use the Forums to promote their blogs.
"Likewise, you are not allowed to link to or reference your own website. If you are the webmaster, owner, employee or representative of a website, blog or online service, you cannot post about it on these forums."
I believe your second post was off topic, so wasn't approved. Regardless, We're pretty laid back here. Just browse through and find a topic that looks good, and then jump right in. Good luck!
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Tisiphone83

Post by Tisiphone83 »

Thanks Graverobber! I had run in to this post and read through the rules, but understood they were more directed toward authors.

gali, Sorry, I don't think I understand about my second post. How is asking for clarification of the rules on a thread about rules "off-topic"? Why clutter the forums with "new topics" that are really just personalized, hyper-specific circumstances? It was requesting clarification of the rules because they seem arbitrary to me.

I also don't get the whole "you're not allowed to talk about your blog" thing. If this forum is all about getting to know me before I am allowed to participate in any way, shape, or form, what better way than to see my blog with all of my previous book reviews? But, whatever. At least that rule is supposedly posted somewhere. I'll have to check out that link gali, but I'm feeling this place is pretty unfair already. I'm not really feeling the love, more sensored and devalued. But we'll see. Maybe it'll get better, or maybe I won't hang around. We'll just have to see. :)
gali

Post by gali »

Tisiphone83 wrote:Thanks Graverobber! I had run in to this post and read through the rules, but understood they were more directed toward authors.

gali, Sorry, I don't think I understand about my second post. How is asking for clarification of the rules on a thread about rules "off-topic"? Why clutter the forums with "new topics" that are really just personalized, hyper-specific circumstances? It was requesting clarification of the rules because they seem arbitrary to me.

I also don't get the whole "you're not allowed to talk about your blog" thing. If this forum is all about getting to know me before I am allowed to participate in any way, shape, or form, what better way than to see my blog with all of my previous book reviews? But, whatever. At least that rule is supposedly posted somewhere. I'll have to check out that link gali, but I'm feeling this place is pretty unfair already. I'm not really feeling the love, more sensored and devalued. But we'll see. Maybe it'll get better, or maybe I won't hang around. We'll just have to see. :)
You posted it on the wrong thread. 8)

The reason for the "Blog thing" is to avoid promoting of blogs and to avoid spam. Moreover, we prefer to read reviews and discuss books here, and not to be referred to external websites, since it defeats the whole purpose of this site otherwise. If you want people to get you know you better, you should participate more, post your reviews here etc. Just make sure to read the rules first. Enjoy! 8)
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Ereader1954
Currently Reading: Dear Thailand
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ereader1954.html

Post by Ereader1954 »

I do not understand this site. I don't know where to go to get the free books to read. I only see the book of the month. Please give me some instructions. This is why I haven't begin to read.
gali

Post by gali »

Ereader1954 wrote:I do not understand this site. I don't know where to go to get the free books to read. I only see the book of the month. Please give me some instructions. This is why I haven't begin to read.
To get the books you need to join the review team, and to participate in the forums. For more details please read the FAQ, Topic Creation Guidelines. and REVIEW TEAM AND REVIEW REQUEST ISSUES - Read this first.
A retired Admin/Mod

Nicky+Rennie
Currently Reading: Bad Choices Make Good Stories
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Nicky+Rennie »

Just joined this community and I am super excited. As with anything unknown or new, I think it is best to read the info provided on the site before jumping in the deep end. There is a ton of information to work through! I will try familiarize myself with the how-to and what-to-do and will get back to this subject asap as a brand new Newbie.
gali

Post by gali »

Nicky+Rennie wrote:Just joined this community and I am super excited. As with anything unknown or new, I think it is best to read the info provided on the site before jumping in the deep end. There is a ton of information to work through! I will try familiarize myself with the how-to and what-to-do and will get back to this subject asap as a brand new Newbie.
Welcome and good luck!
A retired Admin/Mod

B-L-Faulkner

Post by B-L-Faulkner »

I am having problems with this site...NO CONTACT email for a start.....I have uploaded and paid for my book Concrete and Gold to be reviewed but get emails saying I haven't uploaded it...I have in 'doc form. The submissions page asks for it to be bought and sent from Amazon as a gift....my Amazon page does not have that options ...so how does one contact this site...so exasperating!!!!
gali

Post by gali »

B-L-Faulkner wrote:I am having problems with this site...NO CONTACT email for a start.....I have uploaded and paid for my book Concrete and Gold to be reviewed but get emails saying I haven't uploaded it...I have in 'doc form. The submissions page asks for it to be bought and sent from Amazon as a gift....my Amazon page does not have that options ...so how does one contact this site...so exasperating!!!!
I am sorry for your troubles. You can contact @"Scott" by using this form: contact Scott.
A retired Admin/Mod

B-L-Faulkner

Post by B-L-Faulkner »

You see that's the point!! You can't contact this 'scott' person , the page just says I haven't uploaded the book when I have!!!!!!! Do you actually have any human person with an email I could contact?
gali

Post by gali »

B-L-Faulkner wrote:You see that's the point!! You can't contact this 'scott' person , the page just says I haven't uploaded the book when I have!!!!!!! Do you actually have any human person with an email I could contact?
Scott is the webmaster of the site. I tagged, and pmd, him for you. He will answer when he sees it.
A retired Admin/Mod

Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

B-L-Faulkner wrote:You see that's the point!! You can't contact this 'scott' person , the page just says I haven't uploaded the book when I have!!!!!!! Do you actually have any human person with an email I could contact?
@B-L-Faulkner

When I log in to your Author Dashboard and click contact the contact (which is also conveniently available in the footer of the site in addition @"gali"'s post), this is what I see:
author-dashboard-1.png
author-dashboard-1.png (35.68 KiB) Viewed 669 times

If I then I click the button with the title of your book immediately under "Select the subject of this message", I see this:
author-dashboard-2.png
author-dashboard-2.png (33.22 KiB) Viewed 669 times

If I then scroll down the page (ignoring the message about still needing to upload the book), I see this contact form:
author-dashboard-3.png
author-dashboard-3.png (26.36 KiB) Viewed 669 times

If you are seeing something different, that's presumably an error, so please tell me in which of these three steps it is that you see something different.

From what you have stated here, .doc (alone) is not an acceptable format for the review request to go through. That is because it cannot be read on most ereaders such as Kindles and Nooks. An ereader-friendly file is needed such as mobi, epup, or the Kindle or Nook gift. This should all be explained on the Author Dashboard. If it isn't, I will need to fix that. In any case, it's preferable to discuss these review request issues privately and through Author Dashboard where your messages will be sent directly as a priority and won't require the moderators to tag me, so hopefully we can get this contact form thing figured.

I'm very sorry for the trouble and inconvenience.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
SusanOhara

Post by SusanOhara »

Hi , so you'll have to forgive me, as I am new to this. I'm not really sure where to start. I know I need to post on forums, not sure about how or what I can read , so I can discuss. Thankyou, I am really excited to start reading. Thankyou

Return to “Public Suggestion Box (Retired)”