Topic Creation Guidelines

(Formerly the "Support, Feedback and Forum Announcements" forum.)
Please help us make Online Book Club even better! Please post suggestions, feedback and ideas for new features. Wild brainstorming and potentially 'crazy ideas' are super-strongly encouraged! :)

For new members (or old members who run into an issue), please make a post in this forum asking any questions you have about using the site and how it works that are not answered in the FAQ. Not only are we happy help you, but also we can use your feedback to make the site better for tomorrow's new member! A lot of the instructions throughout the site and answers in the FAQ are there because someone else pointed out that it wasn't clear before.

---

IMPORTANT: The Public Suggestion Box is NOT for discussing issues with the Review Team. If you are a reviewer and need help, please first check the Review Team Page and then if you still need help use the Review Team Support Forum. If you are an author and need help, please first check the Author Dashboard and if that does not resolve your issue use the private contact form. For reference, there is a contact link on every page of the website.

---

To ensure the above procedures are used, posts by new members in the Suggestion Box will be held for moderation.

There are over 240,000 members at OnlineBookClub.org. Following the proper procedures to get help or make suggestions actually helps us help you much faster.
Forum rules
Please do not discuss issues related to the Review Team in the Public Suggestion Box. If you have an issue or question related to the review Team, please check either the Author Dashboard (if you are an author or publisher), or check the Review Team Page (if you are a reviewer).
Post Reply
User avatar
CharlizeGwapa
Posts: 106
Joined: 14 Apr 2019, 21:29
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlizegwapa.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Re: Topic Creation Guidelines

Post by CharlizeGwapa » 29 Apr 2019, 01:05

As a newbie, this forum really is helpful to me. Thanks for sharing.

User avatar
bigbootyjudy
Posts: 1
Joined: 04 May 2019, 03:52
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by bigbootyjudy » 04 May 2019, 04:37

I am a new member and just now starting to see how the site works. I'm glad that all the rules and guidelines have been made available for our review. I'm reading everything available to us new member before I start doing anything. Hopefully that will help me to understand everything and make it easier to get started reading and reviewing books. Thank you very much

amjohnson13mommy
Posts: 167
Joined: 04 Nov 2018, 14:37
2019 Reading Goal: 10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amjohnson13mommy.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by amjohnson13mommy » 09 May 2019, 10:24

So are you not suppose to use a topic someone else already has?
amjohnson13

User avatar
Perp07
Posts: 2
Joined: 10 May 2019, 23:56
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Perp07 » 11 May 2019, 23:24

I am still new and still getting to know how the website works. These information/guidelines are very informative although restricted to just posting reviews on books read. Thanks

User avatar
Laiba shahzad
Posts: 4
Joined: 27 Apr 2019, 12:18
Favorite Book: Gardening With Guns
Currently Reading: Pressing Flowers
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by Laiba shahzad » 16 May 2019, 05:09

Thank you for these quick guide lines 😀

User avatar
esp1975
Posts: 22
Joined: 21 May 2019, 17:00
Currently Reading: Misreading Judas
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by esp1975 » Yesterday, 11:48

I appreciate these guidelines in general, but as some one new (joined yesterday), who works in the field of user experience, I am wondering if I can give some suggestions as to how to make this post/page a little better.
Instructions for how to search for a book across all the topics within the Reviews and Discussions about Specific Books and Series would be really great. There was a book I wanted to post a review for. I searched for it in the genre I believed was appropriate, and did not find it, so I created a new topic. That topic was rejected because there was already a thread about that book in a different genre - one I never would have thought to look for it in, searching individually. The response to my topic being rejected was simply that I should search for topics before asking to create one. I had searched, I just hadn't searched everywhere. So instructions in this specific post about how to use the advanced search feature to search across multiple topics/genres, I think might be really helpful.

The other bit of feedback I got on creating a topic, I am not quickly/easily finding guidance on, so again, it might be something to put here. I had a topic disapproved because
"Please note that new members are not allowed to open topics for books with a low Amazon sales rank. Thank you."
I don't have a problem with this rule, but I can't find where that rule listed anywhere. Nor any additional guidance on it. What is the metric/cut off line for low Amazon sales rank? And at one point do I stop being a "new member" (which, given that it's day 2 on the forum for me, I accept isn't happening any time soon), so that I can post a review of a book that has a low sales rank?
I don't know that this specific information needs to be on this post, but it should be referenced, with a link to the further information.

Thanks for considering these ideas for improving the experience of new members. I really look forward to participating here.

User avatar
gali
Site Admin
Posts: 37215
Joined: 22 Oct 2013, 07:12
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 36
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 100
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Cat Who Blew the Whistle
Bookshelf Size: 1913
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali » Yesterday, 14:18

esp1975 wrote:
Yesterday, 11:48
I appreciate these guidelines in general, but as some one new (joined yesterday), who works in the field of user experience, I am wondering if I can give some suggestions as to how to make this post/page a little better.
Instructions for how to search for a book across all the topics within the Reviews and Discussions about Specific Books and Series would be really great. There was a book I wanted to post a review for. I searched for it in the genre I believed was appropriate, and did not find it, so I created a new topic. That topic was rejected because there was already a thread about that book in a different genre - one I never would have thought to look for it in, searching individually. The response to my topic being rejected was simply that I should search for topics before asking to create one. I had searched, I just hadn't searched everywhere. So instructions in this specific post about how to use the advanced search feature to search across multiple topics/genres, I think might be really helpful.

The other bit of feedback I got on creating a topic, I am not quickly/easily finding guidance on, so again, it might be something to put here. I had a topic disapproved because
"Please note that new members are not allowed to open topics for books with a low Amazon sales rank. Thank you."
I don't have a problem with this rule, but I can't find where that rule listed anywhere. Nor any additional guidance on it. What is the metric/cut off line for low Amazon sales rank? And at one point do I stop being a "new member" (which, given that it's day 2 on the forum for me, I accept isn't happening any time soon), so that I can post a review of a book that has a low sales rank?
I don't know that this specific information needs to be on this post, but it should be referenced, with a link to the further information.

Thanks for considering these ideas for improving the experience of new members. I really look forward to participating here.
You should use the search option at the top of the page.

You can find the rule on low Amazon sales rank here: Strict Anti-Spam Rules: Important for authors and publishers:
8. If you have less than 25 posts or have been registered less than 1 week, you may not make a post about a book with an Amazon sales rank worse than 100,000 in books. This is because we assume you are either the author, publisher or paid promoter of the book if you start saying good things about some low-selling or independent book, and the first rule in this list strictly prohibits anyone from ever posting about their own book.
In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)

User avatar
esp1975
Posts: 22
Joined: 21 May 2019, 17:00
Currently Reading: Misreading Judas
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by esp1975 » Yesterday, 14:26

gali wrote:
Yesterday, 14:18

You should use the search option at the top of the page.

You can find the rule on low Amazon sales rank here: Strict Anti-Spam Rules: Important for authors and publishers:
8. If you have less than 25 posts or have been registered less than 1 week, you may not make a post about a book with an Amazon sales rank worse than 100,000 in books. This is because we assume you are either the author, publisher or paid promoter of the book if you start saying good things about some low-selling or independent book, and the first rule in this list strictly prohibits anyone from ever posting about their own book.
Gali- Thank you for the reply. I did figure out the search function, but it is not intuitive. I am simply suggesting that letting people know they need to use the Advanced Search feature, not just the search feature, in order to search on multiple forums at a time, would be helpful to new people trying to figure out how to find out if a book already has a thread. I could see from other comments that I was not the first person to have some confusion about how to do that.

I also appreciate you sharing the information about what qualifies me as a new member and low Amazon sales rank. I completely understand and appreciate the rule. However, as I am not a publisher or an author, it did not occur to me to read Anti-Spam rules for Authors and Publishers, to know what I should and should not be posting. So again, my suggestion (not only to help new members, but also to cut down on work for the moderators) is to make that rule more visible to new members of the forums.

Thanks again

User avatar
gali
Site Admin
Posts: 37215
Joined: 22 Oct 2013, 07:12
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 36
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 100
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Cat Who Blew the Whistle
Bookshelf Size: 1913
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali » Yesterday, 14:35

esp1975 wrote:
Yesterday, 14:26
gali wrote:
Yesterday, 14:18

You should use the search option at the top of the page.

You can find the rule on low Amazon sales rank here: Strict Anti-Spam Rules: Important for authors and publishers:
8. If you have less than 25 posts or have been registered less than 1 week, you may not make a post about a book with an Amazon sales rank worse than 100,000 in books. This is because we assume you are either the author, publisher or paid promoter of the book if you start saying good things about some low-selling or independent book, and the first rule in this list strictly prohibits anyone from ever posting about their own book.
Gali- Thank you for the reply. I did figure out the search function, but it is not intuitive. I am simply suggesting that letting people know they need to use the Advanced Search feature, not just the search feature, in order to search on multiple forums at a time, would be helpful to new people trying to figure out how to find out if a book already has a thread. I could see from other comments that I was not the first person to have some confusion about how to do that.

I also appreciate you sharing the information about what qualifies me as a new member and low Amazon sales rank. I completely understand and appreciate the rule. However, as I am not a publisher or an author, it did not occur to me to read Anti-Spam rules for Authors and Publishers, to know what I should and should not be posting. So again, my suggestion (not only to help new members, but also to cut down on work for the moderators) is to make that rule more visible to new members of the forums.

Thanks again
I added your suggestion about the search. :tiphat:

Scott does advise new members to read the Anti-Spam rules in his post, and there is a link to the Strict Anti-Spam Rules:
If you are new to the forum, please also familiarize yourself with our Strict Anti-Spam Rules. Make sure to adhere to those as well.
In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)

Post Reply

Return to “Public Suggestion Box”