Announcing Bookshelves - Free Web App at Online Book Club!

So that we can provide faster and better support, this forum (the "Public Suggestion Box") has been retired. Instead, please send any suggestions you have to us using the official website contact form.

This allows us to streamline our support system so that we can get to your message much faster. Instead of our support staff having to check three different places (support forum, suggestion box, and contact form messages), they know can respond to all message through one method, with that one method being the official website contact form.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Re: Announcing Bookshelves - Free Web App at Online Book Clu

Post by Gravy »

Scott wrote:I'm not sure what you mean by complete works. I'm guess you mean when a book is published that combines multiple works together. Can you give me a few examples?
I mean things like 'The Complete Works of Shakespeare' (Or Poe, or HG Wells...whatever), as opposed to each individual work.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Scott wrote:@Graverobber I have made it so you can enter 0 as the sort order and that will erase the sort order for that book and put it back to the default. I will now work on creating a button to reset the sort order for all your books with the choice to just do it to one shelf or to all your shelves.
Works great!
Now I don't have to feel like an idiot :lol:
You rock! :music-guitarred:
Thank you! :bow-blue:
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

Update: I have integrated Bookshelves with some of the profile fields on the forums. "Favorite Book" and "Favorite Author" will now be automatically set when you make a book your favorite on Bookshelves (i.e. bump to the top of your 4 out of 4 shelf) or whenever you either add a book to your currently reading shelf or if you bump a book to the top of your currently reading shelf. These options will no longer be found in the User Control Panel on the forums.

The book title's will also link to the book's shelf in your profile.

For members of the review team with a published review, this will also cause their reviewer page to be updated. This is cool too because sometimes the information on those pages could become stale since they only used to be updated whenever a new review was published by that reviewer.

In the future, I would like to provide this feature also for 'favorite author', which could also allow a member to set multiple favorite authors to perhaps appear in a section on their shelves. Maybe on the sidebar area under the genre counts?
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Scott wrote:Update: I have integrated Bookshelves with some of the profile fields on the forums. "Favorite Book" and "Favorite Author" will now be automatically set when you make a book your favorite on Bookshelves (i.e. bump to the top of your 4 out of 4 shelf) or whenever you either add a book to your currently reading shelf or if you bump a book to the top of your currently reading shelf. These options will no longer be found in the User Control Panel on the forums.

The book title's will also link to the book's shelf in your profile.

For members of the review team with a published review, this will also cause their reviewer page to be updated. This is cool too because sometimes the information on those pages could become stale since they only used to be updated whenever a new review was published by that reviewer.

In the future, I would like to provide this feature also for 'favorite author', which could also allow a member to set multiple favorite authors to perhaps appear in a section on their shelves. Maybe on the sidebar area under the genre counts?
Great idea about adding automatically the "currently reading" book. I love it! :)
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Ryan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ryan.html

Post by Ryan »

Another great addition! :D

One thing, though: there is currently no way to report errors regarding genre. Could this be added?

-- 28 Mar 2015, 09:43 --

Same with publication date.

I also wonder whether moderators having to confirm each others' changes is very necessary. For the past couple of days I've been able to tidy up author pages (check out Rick Riordan -- it was a mess before!) and it was so easy because I could confirm the changes myself. If moderators are carefully selected, one wouldn't have to worry about them making silly errors or evilly changing information for a giggle. I just think it makes the process much more efficient and gives moderators the necessary amount of autonomy to fix errors when they see them, instead of relying on other moderators to confirm the changes :)
"Reason is intelligence taking exercise. Imagination is intelligence with an erection" -- Victor Hugo.
Scott
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

ryanj1 wrote:Another great addition! :D

One thing, though: there is currently no way to report errors regarding genre. Could this be added?

I also wonder whether moderators having to confirm each others' changes is very necessary. For the past couple of days I've been able to tidy up author pages (check out Rick Riordan -- it was a mess before!) and it was so easy because I could confirm the changes myself. If moderators are carefully selected, one wouldn't have to worry about them making silly errors or evilly changing information for a giggle. I just think it makes the process much more efficient and gives moderators the necessary amount of autonomy to fix errors when they see them, instead of relying on other moderators to confirm the changes :)
At this time, I do not think it is necessary that moderators confirm each other's reports. However, with more moderators and more volume I do think it would become a good safety guard. The concern is that an incorrect moderator action is going to be a lot more troublesome to fix than an initial mistake. At some point, I think it will be preferable to require that two people agree with a certain decision before permanently marking a certain spelling of a book's title as incorrect and another as incorrect, as everyone makes mistakes.

I have added options to the report form for members to report the genre as incorrect or to report the release date as incorrect. I have added options to the MCP for Bookshelves moderators to replace the genre or release date information. It should work but I am not fully happy with how it came out. As it is now, it could be difficult for moderators to navigate between viewing the book, fixing the book and closing the report.

I think in the near future I'd like to adjust it so that when reporting the genre/date as incorrect the member also proposes the correct genre/date, and then the moderators just approve or disapprove that proposed correction.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

Ryan
Currently Reading:

Post by Ryan »

All very good. Much appreciated :D
"Reason is intelligence taking exercise. Imagination is intelligence with an erection" -- Victor Hugo.
gali

Post by gali »

Scott wrote:
ryanj1 wrote:Another great addition! :D

At this time, I do not think it is necessary that moderators confirm each other's reports. However, with more moderators and more volume I do think it would become a good safety guard. The concern is that an incorrect moderator action is going to be a lot more troublesome to fix than an initial mistake. At some point, I think it will be preferable to require that two people agree with a certain decision before permanently marking a certain spelling of a book's title as incorrect and another as incorrect, as everyone makes mistakes.

I have added options to the report form for members to report the genre as incorrect or to report the release date as incorrect. I have added options to the MCP for Bookshelves moderators to replace the genre or release date information. It should work but I am not fully happy with how it came out. As it is now, it could be difficult for moderators to navigate between viewing the book, fixing the book and closing the report.

I think in the near future I'd like to adjust it so that when reporting the genre/date as incorrect the member also proposes the correct genre/date, and then the moderators just approve or disapprove that proposed correction.
I use the report option myself to fix incorrect books as some members just report the books without giving the correct version of them. You are right about wanting some safeguards from errors when there are more Bookshelves moderators though. Thank you for the additions and for your work. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
jadestar31
Bookshelf Size: 288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jadestar31.html

Post by jadestar31 »

Hi Scott,
I'm not sure whether this feature has already been requested, but I'll just ask anyway. :)

I was wondering if it would be possible to have an import from .csv or .xls feature. I ask because this would give the option of importing by title, author, and (optionally) isbn as well.

I was issued a board warning for adding books that already existed, but all I did was use the Mass Add feature and my Goodreads exported .csv file to get the titles and authors. I think the feature above (especially if we're using ISBN instead of title and author) would cut down on these kinds of problems.

Just an idea, thanks for considering it!
Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy. ~Unknown
Scott
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

@jadestar31

I appreciate the suggestions.

Regarding the duplicates, it should really not be much an issue. The software automatically prevents duplicates by matching books together. Duplicates are thus only created when a new spelling of a book is used. It's really the incorrect spelling or formatting that creates the duplicate.

The problem that lead to you submitting the Harry Potter books again was that the series name was put in the title field instead of the subtitle field. Using the mass adder, that would mean that there was not a colon used to separate the title from the would-be subtitle. This is why the software failed to add the Harry Potter books to your shelves and instead created a whole set of new Harry-Potter-like books with really long titles and no subtitle. To fix this issue, I have just now made a slight change that will prohibit books with parenthesis in the title from being added using the mass-adder. That way if a similar situation occurred one could have added the semicolon delimiter to the title/subtitle combination so it could parsed. The downside is that if there is book title that should have parenthesis it will not be able to be added using the mass-adder.

Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

I applied to join the bookshelf moderators, but thought posting here might expedite the process.
Anyway...I'm willing to try to help :D
Don't know how much good I'll be :lol:
Hey! Willingness is something, right?

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Ryan
Currently Reading:

Post by Ryan »

Hi, Scott. (Sorry to jump in, Gravy!)

I've recently noticed that there are several new members who add their own authored books to the system and place them either on their 4* shelf or "currently reading" shelf (I think), which means that they will be displayed in the respective fields. I just wanted to bring this to your attention as I wasn't sure whether it's technically against the rules or not. I know you're very stringent regarding self-advertising and this might be a more inconspicuous way of doing that.
Scott
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

Graverobber wrote:I applied to join the bookshelf moderators, but thought posting here might expedite the process.
Okay, great. I have approved your membership. I'm not sure what this should mean about the title Grandmaster of Bookshelves. I do not know if ryanj1 minds sharing it as previously he was the only special moderator for Bookshelves.

-- 19 Apr 2015 09:33 pm --
ryanj1 wrote:Hi, Scott. (Sorry to jump in, Gravy!)

I've recently noticed that there are several new members who add their own authored books to the system and place them either on their 4* shelf or "currently reading" shelf (I think), which means that they will be displayed in the respective fields. I just wanted to bring this to your attention as I wasn't sure whether it's technically against the rules or not. I know you're very stringent regarding self-advertising and this might be a more inconspicuous way of doing that.
I greatly appreciate your feedback.

For now, I think it is fine.

In the future, the best solution might be to integrate the role of being an author for a book and a member of the site into Bookshelves. In that sense, authors could have a 'books I've written shelf' for their own books.

Ryan
Currently Reading:

Post by Ryan »

Scott wrote:
Graverobber wrote:I applied to join the bookshelf moderators, but thought posting here might expedite the process.
Okay, great. I have approved your membership. I'm not sure what this should mean about the title Grandmaster of Bookshelves. I do not know if ryanj1 minds sharing it as previously he was the only special moderator for Bookshelves.
It is with great reluctance that I share the title, but I am happy that there will be others around to help 8)
gali

Post by gali »

Congratulations Graverobber :)
A retired Admin/Mod

bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Congrats Gravy! What about Gravymaster of Bookshelves? :) You and Ryan will be a great team.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost

Return to “Public Suggestion Box (Retired)”