Maybe update the look of the website?

So that we can provide faster and better support, this forum (the "Public Suggestion Box") has been retired. Instead, please send any suggestions you have to us using the official website contact form.

This allows us to streamline our support system so that we can get to your message much faster. Instead of our support staff having to check three different places (support forum, suggestion box, and contact form messages), they know can respond to all message through one method, with that one method being the official website contact form.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Re: Maybe update the look of the website?

Post by Gravy »

MardiL wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 17:11 Over the years of my career, I have come to realize that there is no such thing as a perfect website. But that does not mean there is no room for improvement. One challenge I see for this particular site is the wide scope of information, topics and options. And to be honest, I have struggled to find the things I want. Or, once I find something, it seems I can't always find it again. If there was one thing, I think would help me, it would be a search engine that facilitates navigate more easily. But, then, search engines are another challenge. Overall, I really like this site and find it valuable and will continue recommending it to others.
There's a search function located on the Quick links menu (upper left side of any page on the forums). :tiphat:
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Rovika Sundaram
Currently Reading: There's a Rooster in My Bathroom!
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rovika-sundaram.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Rovika Sundaram »

Yes, I totally agree with you. Many times, I gave a thought about it. This is a great website for the reviewers and readers, and this would be even more greater, if the look of the website has been updated.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
Theana De lima Araujo
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theana-d.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Theana De lima Araujo »

I completely agree that this website is in need of an update if only to give the graphics some attention or make it more modern. I really love this site and everything it has to offer but maybe if it appears more modern and attractive it could appeal to more readers and authors and make the site even more popular. That said for 15 years and over 1 million members, it's not doing too badly in its current state.
Laura P 2
Currently Reading: Anna Karenina
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-p-2.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Laura P 2 »

I will have to agree. This web is great but it does look like it's 2000s.
Areeba M
Currently Reading: Vicious
Bookshelf Size: 185
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-areeba-m.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by Areeba M »

I am a new member. So from a newbie's perspective, I think a bit more colour would be great. And the website has kind of an early 2000s vibe, I can't put my finger on why exactly. Maybe it's the font or the button design. It's doesn't hinder the overall usage experience for me, but a slight upgrade to match the aesthetic of the recent era could be interesting.
Mars Taylor
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Mars Taylor »

I’m so glad that other people feel the same way! The formatting of this site is dated and hard to navigate. I think it would be so much easier if it were more updated.
VeeBookLover
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-veebooklover.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by VeeBookLover »

Yes, the page is hard to navigate sometimes and I would the menu needs to be rearranged. The colors are fine, but the logo at the top of the page as well as the fonts could use a change.
sonalj839
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by sonalj839 »

I agree! Even though the original post is from 2020, I still feel the website needs a better user experience.
I am happy to look at the upgrade options if given a chance.
Inks and Quills
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inks-and-quills.html
Latest Review: Shadow's Adventure Home by Kathy Kovar

Post by Inks and Quills »

I agree! As a new user to the site, it feels a bit like a maze to find what I want. I think the navigation could be condensed, simplified and have easier ways to retrace steps. The color palette, while nice, feels a little dated, as do the font choices. It is also difficult to find a review of a specific book you are looking for. I love the concept and applaud how much information and activities are present though!
Sarai Burgos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarai-burgos.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Sarai Burgos »

I agree with you! Maybe more color, expand the size of the logo, and overall make the site a little more eye-catching. :mrgreen: The site is really great. However, I personally feel like it is a bit outdated. :techie-reference:
Melisa Jane
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: The Dead Speak
Bookshelf Size: 190
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melisa-jane.html
Latest Review: In It Together (2nd Edition Hardcover from B&N) by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Melisa Jane »

Hannah_Keos wrote: 21 Sep 2020, 18:40 The website functions very well and the look of it gets the job done, but I think the website could be more eye-catching. The logo is great but is so small it takes the viewer a second to find it. I think books bring out everyone's imagination and a more vividly colored website would depict our enthusiasm as readers, writers, and reviewers. Everything on the website functions great. A new look would help bring it the attention it deserves! :D
Hi. Thanks for this suggestion. Exactly how big do you suggest the logo should be? Should the current size be doubled? Trippledd? Please let me know.

On how colorful the website is, are there any specific colors you'd like replaced or used? It will be very helpful if you get as specific as possible. I'll then foward these suggestions to Scott.

Thank you.
Insofar as the word 'should' even has meaning, then we must say that the past is exactly as it should be, everything that happened should have happened, and everything that should happen will happen
:techie-studyingbrown:

~ Scott Hughes
Tonia Freeman
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Black Hat/White Hat: A tale of Good is Evil
Bookshelf Size: 756
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tonia-freeman.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer

Post by Tonia Freeman »

I have to say I agree it's "clunky". Personally, was very surprised to find there is no app for this website. I think some of the website issues are the flow. It is very hunt and peck when trying to find any info. The "search" function is probably the worst I have seen. In fact, I've never seen any search set up like this one that it takes you back to Google. I have been working on fixing my Bookcase and the book listings are a mess. Just today I found one book with seven entries on the site. I really do like a lot of aspects of this site but I think if the developers took some notes from the Goodbooks site and app they could incorporate some of their simplicity, especially related to the Bookshelf.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

Tonia Freeman wrote: 01 Aug 2022, 16:02 I have to say I agree it's "clunky". Personally, was very surprised to find there is no app for this website. I think some of the website issues are the flow. It is very hunt and peck when trying to find any info. The "search" function is probably the worst I have seen. In fact, I've never seen any search set up like this one that it takes you back to Google. I have been working on fixing my Bookcase and the book listings are a mess. Just today I found one book with seven entries on the site. I really do like a lot of aspects of this site but I think if the developers took some notes from the Goodbooks site and app they could incorporate some of their simplicity, especially related to the Bookshelf.
Hi,
Thanks for your comment. Actually there IS an app: OBC Reader and it's free on Google Play.
I have forwarded your suggestions to management.
Tonia Freeman
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Black Hat/White Hat: A tale of Good is Evil
Bookshelf Size: 756
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tonia-freeman.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer

Post by Tonia Freeman »

Thanks, sorry I know some of that was probably a bit harsh but it was honest. I was so frustrated I almost gave up very early on.
Kaitlyn Canedy
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Napoleon Hill
Favorite Book: Too Old Too Soon
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 509
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn-canedy.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 16%

Post by Kaitlyn Canedy »

Tonia Freeman wrote: 16 Aug 2022, 16:42 Thanks, sorry I know some of that was probably a bit harsh but it was honest. I was so frustrated I almost gave up very early on.
Hi Tonia,

Thanks for reaching out! We appreciate honesty when it comes to suggestions, and I did not think you were being harsh at all. Did you get a chance to try out the OBC Reader App yet? :)
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant, it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”- Mewtwo

Return to “Public Suggestion Box (Retired)”