Maybe update the look of the website?

(Formerly the "Support, Feedback and Forum Announcements" forum.)
Please help us make Online Book Club even better! Please post suggestions, feedback and ideas for new features. Wild brainstorming and potentially 'crazy ideas' are super-strongly encouraged! :)

For new members (or old members who run into an issue), please make a post in this forum asking any questions you have about using the site and how it works that are not answered in the FAQ. Not only are we happy help you, but also we can use your feedback to make the site better for tomorrow's new member! A lot of the instructions throughout the site and answers in the FAQ are there because someone else pointed out that it wasn't clear before.

---

IMPORTANT: The Public Suggestion Box is NOT for discussing issues with the Review Team. If you are a reviewer and need help, please first check the Review Team Page and then if you still need help use the Review Team Support Forum. If you are an author and need help, please first check the Author Dashboard and if that does not resolve your issue use the private contact form. For reference, there is a contact link on every page of the website.

---

To ensure the above procedures are used, posts by new members in the Suggestion Box will be held for moderation.

There are over 240,000 members at OnlineBookClub.org. Following the proper procedures to get help or make suggestions actually helps us help you much faster.
Forum rules
Please do not discuss issues related to the Review Team in the Public Suggestion Box, as we prefer to deal with Review Team issues privately. If you have an issue or question related to the Review Team, please first check either the Author Dashboard (if you are an author or publisher) or check the Review Team Page (if you are a reviewer). If you are a reviewer and you have a suggestion, you can post that in the special private Review Team Support Forum.
Hannah_Keos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannah-keos.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Maybe update the look of the website?

Post by Hannah_Keos »

The website functions very well and the look of it gets the job done, but I think the website could be more eye-catching. The logo is great but is so small it takes the viewer a second to find it. I think books bring out everyone's imagination and a more vividly colored website would depict our enthusiasm as readers, writers, and reviewers. Everything on the website functions great. A new look would help bring it the attention it deserves! :D
AbhyarnaAman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abhyarnaaman.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by AbhyarnaAman »

I second you, but I don't want more colours on the website. I can't exatly say what's missing. Something makes the website look outdated and in need of renovation. Now I am comfortable with the layout, can't suggest to change it either.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.
By Rob White
MrsGreenApple
Currently Reading: The Infinite Atonement
Bookshelf Size: 208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrsgreenapple.html
Latest Review: The Second Cup by Sarah Marie Graye

Post by MrsGreenApple »

I also feel like the page can be hard to navigate because there’s so many options. It has taken me quite a while to get familiarized with where everything is. I’m not sure on how this could be changed so sadly I’m not a lot of help in that but I just wanted to state that I agree.
AngelicG
Currently Reading: A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angelicg.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by AngelicG »

I would agree with the suggestion. It functions fine but can be a bit clunky. I don't have any smart ideas. A little more colour wouldn't hurt. But I also think the navigation options could be streamlined
Fasmin
2021 Reading Goal: 60
Currently Reading: "How to Kill in Comedy"
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fasmin.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Fasmin »

Oh yes, I totally agree with all of you. There's just something I can't put a finger on about the layout of this site. Like how the comments on the forum don't fit into the page perfectly, you could zoom it in to make it fit but that isn't exactly convenient. And the rest I think the whole website could get some redesigning, but keep some features that make online book club "online book club". You know this website has to have something unique about itself. Just preservethat; like the color pattern maybe. :eusa-think:
“Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book.”
– John Green
angelmuktar
2021 Reading Goal: 5
Currently Reading: The Binding Stone
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by angelmuktar »

YES YES YES!!!
I completely agree with you! A little more color, expand the size of the logo, and overall make the site a little more eye-catching. The site is really great. However, when I first joined it took me a minute to enjoy the site. I personally feel like it is a bit dull.
Also, I think new members should have a tutorial of where everything is located because I had, and still have, some trouble trying to fin what I am looking for. I know they have a FAQ section but it is kind of confusing when someone is first starting out.
Thea Frederick
2021 Reading Goal: 40
Currently Reading: Little Dorrit
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thea-frederick.html
Latest Review: How to Cope: Parenting a Child with Special Needs by Christine E. Staple Ebanks

Post by Thea Frederick »

Yes, I have been thinking this for a while. The website functions, but it took me a long while to figure it out. It seems that you have to go out of your way to access certain things. For example, when I get on the website, I have to first click some other page (forums or something) to see it I have any notifications because you can't be anywhere at all on the website to see that, you have to go to specific pages to find it. I also feel like there are too many options. It seems like it should be condensed. It does feel outdated, but it works well. An updated look would be nice. :-)
-Thea M. Frederick
Thea Frederick
Latest Review: How to Cope: Parenting a Child with Special Needs by Christine E. Staple Ebanks

Post by Thea Frederick »

Oh, I was also thinking it would be good if duplicate forum topics could be deleted because there are a lot of locked threads but they are just there. It seems it would be better to get rid of them after notifying the author of the thread that it is a duplicate and linking them to the original so that the forums are less cluttered. Just an idea :-D
(That is, the people in charge of the website would be able to delete them, not just anyone)
-Thea M. Frederick
gali
Site Admin
2021 Reading Goal: 100
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Killing Commendatore
Bookshelf Size: 2040
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Thea Frederick wrote: 12 Jan 2021, 11:39 Oh, I was also thinking it would be good if duplicate forum topics could be deleted because there are a lot of locked threads but they are just there. It seems it would be better to get rid of them after notifying the author of the thread that it is a duplicate and linking them to the original so that the forums are less cluttered. Just an idea :-D
(That is, the people in charge of the website would be able to delete them, not just anyone)
You can report those topics and a mod will delete/move them. :tiphat:
Personal pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Thea Frederick

Post by Thea Frederick »

gali wrote: 12 Jan 2021, 11:40
Thea Frederick wrote: 12 Jan 2021, 11:39 Oh, I was also thinking it would be good if duplicate forum topics could be deleted because there are a lot of locked threads but they are just there. It seems it would be better to get rid of them after notifying the author of the thread that it is a duplicate and linking them to the original so that the forums are less cluttered. Just an idea :-D
You can report those topics and a mod will delete/move them. :tiphat:
Oh, very nice, thank you!
-Thea M. Frederick
Monalisa626
2021 Reading Goal: 24
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monalisa626.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Monalisa626 »

I completely agree with you. The site is definitely in need of a revamp. Brighter colours would make users a bit more excited to be on the site. At the moment it looks rather outdated, or like one of those dark web sites where you type commands :| .

Return to “Public Suggestion Box”