Suggestion: more languages?

So that we can provide faster and better support, this forum (the "Public Suggestion Box") has been retired. Instead, please send any suggestions you have to us using the official website contact form.

This allows us to streamline our support system so that we can get to your message much faster. Instead of our support staff having to check three different places (support forum, suggestion box, and contact form messages), they know can respond to all message through one method, with that one method being the official website contact form.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Yvonne Monique
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: Healing Depression by C. Daley

Suggestion: more languages?

Post by Yvonne Monique »

Hi all,

I have recently joined the Onlinebookclub and I am ever so happy I found out about it! It is such a great way of discovering books that I would normally not even know about. I am sure that this community has many members of different nationalities and therefore I would suggest to make this page more international. I realized, adding books to my bookshelf yesterday, that e.g. Spanish, German or Dutch books are represented in a small number in this community and therefore, the members would also be able to read and review books in these languages. How great would it be to have an international database of all available books on this planet (I know, that might be a bit too optimistic)?! Maybe it would also be an idea to add to the user's profile a little flag to determine his/her nationality and the languages this user speaks/reads.

Greetings from Spain!

Yvonne
Tonze
Currently Reading: Don't Sweat the Small Stuff
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tonze.html
Latest Review: Happiness is All We Want! by Ashutosh Mishra

Post by Tonze »

Hello Ynonne,
I don't have more experience here, I am almost here like 2 months but I think your suggestion would be a great idea cause we are from different countries perhaps there are many languages speakers who can review the book in other languages for example me I can also enjoy to review book in French but I don't find those type here.
But I think the club creators have their main objectives they know what is better for both of us.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Tonze wrote: 14 Sep 2020, 12:23 Hello Ynonne,
I don't have more experience here, I am almost here like 2 months but I think your suggestion would be a great idea cause we are from different countries perhaps there are many languages speakers who can review the book in other languages for example me I can also enjoy to review book in French but I don't find those type here.
But I think the club creators have their main objectives they know what is better for both of us.
For the book to be available to be reviewed in another language, the author/publisher would have to choose to publish it in another language. They are only going to do that if they think it would sell well in other languages.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Yvonne Monique
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: Healing Depression by C. Daley

Post by Yvonne Monique »

MrsCatInTheHat wrote: 14 Sep 2020, 13:21
For the book to be available to be reviewed in another language, the author/publisher would have to choose to publish it in another language. They are only going to do that if they think it would sell well in other languages.
I understand that books can better be reviewed in their original language, but with my suggestion I was more thinking about books originally written in different languages, not translations.
MrsCatInTheHat
Currently Reading:

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Yvonne Monique wrote: 14 Sep 2020, 13:45
MrsCatInTheHat wrote: 14 Sep 2020, 13:21
I understand that books can better be reviewed in their original language, but with my suggestion I was more thinking about books originally written in different languages, not translations.
Aah, I get it. There are some here & there under the Select tab, especially for Spanish. It really depends on the authors, though. It's all about which authors choose to use the OBC for getting their books reviewed.
Tonze
Currently Reading: Don't Sweat the Small Stuff
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tonze.html
Latest Review: Happiness is All We Want! by Ashutosh Mishra

Post by Tonze »

Are there books originally written in French?
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Yvonne Monique wrote: 14 Sep 2020, 10:58 Hi all,

I have recently joined the Onlinebookclub and I am ever so happy I found out about it! It is such a great way of discovering books that I would normally not even know about. I am sure that this community has many members of different nationalities and therefore I would suggest to make this page more international. I realized, adding books to my bookshelf yesterday, that e.g. Spanish, German or Dutch books are represented in a small number in this community and therefore, the members would also be able to read and review books in these languages. How great would it be to have an international database of all available books on this planet (I know, that might be a bit too optimistic)?! Maybe it would also be an idea to add to the user's profile a little flag to determine his/her nationality and the languages this user speaks/reads.

Greetings from Spain!

Yvonne
Great ideas!
I love Spain and Spanish language :)
I am thinking for some time of a international database of all available books on this planet, like IMDB for books.
I love the flag idea, also :). Sometimes, when I read the name of a reviewer, I try to image his/her country. And I would definitely enjoy discovering more country fellows here!
Ilian ZHU
Favorite Book: Legacy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ilian-zhu.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by Ilian ZHU »

I agree!,I also speak spanish ( greetings from mexico) and I think adding more languages would actually help increasing the community
MrsCatInTheHat
Currently Reading:

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

It's all based on what languages the publishers and authors who use the OBC choose to publish their books in.
iammiape
Favorite Author: Jacob Emrey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iammiape.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
fav_author_id: 10640

Post by iammiape »

Yvonne Monique wrote: 14 Sep 2020, 10:58 Hi all,

Greetings from Spain!

Yvonne
I love the idea of putting a little flag to the user's profile. I hope they will include this idea when they decide to redesign the website.
Fasmin
Favorite Book: We are voulhire
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fasmin.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Ascension of Akistry by Matthew Tysz

Post by Fasmin »

MrsCatInTheHat wrote: 18 Feb 2021, 16:42 It's all based on what languages the publishers and authors who use the OBC choose to publish their books in.
So you'd accept a book of any language? Even if only a small minority would be available to review it?
“Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book.”
– John Green
MrsCatInTheHat
Currently Reading:

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Fasmin wrote: 22 May 2021, 06:55
MrsCatInTheHat wrote: 18 Feb 2021, 16:42 It's all based on what languages the publishers and authors who use the OBC choose to publish their books in.
So you'd accept a book of any language? Even if only a small minority would be available to review it?
Me, personally? I don't have input into what books the authors/publishers and the OBC reach agreements on.
Fasmin
Favorite Book: We are voulhire
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fasmin.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Ascension of Akistry by Matthew Tysz

Post by Fasmin »

MrsCatInTheHat wrote: 22 May 2021, 07:45
Fasmin wrote: 22 May 2021, 06:55
Me, personally? I don't have input into what books the authors/publishers and the OBC reach agreements on.
Oh, okay. Thanks for replying.
“Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book.”
– John Green
Charlize Venter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlize-venter.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Charlize Venter »

Just a furthered suggestion on yours, Ivonne.
I would like to add that it could be a great add-on for the OnlineBookClub team if the review team members could select languages the are proficient in. This could help sort through certain books and easily match them to a certain group of reviewers.

Return to “Public Suggestion Box (Retired)”