How does this site work?

(Formerly the "Support, Feedback and Forum Announcements" forum.)
Please help us make Online Book Club even better! Please post suggestions, feedback and ideas for new features. Wild brainstorming and potentially 'crazy ideas' are super-strongly encouraged! :)

For new members (or old members who run into an issue), please make a post in this forum asking any questions you have about using the site and how it works that are not answered in the FAQ. Not only are we happy help you, but also we can use your feedback to make the site better for tomorrow's new member! A lot of the instructions throughout the site and answers in the FAQ are there because someone else pointed out that it wasn't clear before.

---

IMPORTANT: The Public Suggestion Box is NOT for discussing issues with the Review Team. If you are a reviewer and need help, please first check the Review Team Page and then if you still need help use the Review Team Support Forum. If you are an author and need help, please first check the Author Dashboard and if that does not resolve your issue use the private contact form. For reference, there is a contact link on every page of the website.

---

To ensure the above procedures are used, posts by new members in the Suggestion Box will be held for moderation.

There are over 240,000 members at OnlineBookClub.org. Following the proper procedures to get help or make suggestions actually helps us help you much faster.
Forum rules
Please do not discuss issues related to the Review Team in the Public Suggestion Box. If you have an issue or question related to the review Team, please check either the Author Dashboard (if you are an author or publisher), or check the Review Team Page (if you are a reviewer).
Bookworm90
Bookshelf Size: 0

How does this site work?

Post by Bookworm90 » 21 Aug 2013, 14:59

I would like to begin reading and they say this site will pay for reviews so how exactly does this work? When do I start? How do you get paid and how much?

Anyone has these answers?

Scott
Site Admin
2018 Reading Goal: 52
2017 Reading Goal: 36
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 5
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 25
Favorite Author: Voltairine de Cleyre
Currently Reading: The Woman in the Window
Bookshelf Size: 228
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 2660
Signature Addition: testtesttest

Post by Scott » 28 Aug 2013, 22:39

The first post in the following topic has the basic instructions:

http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/viewto ... f=3&t=9636
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid

darcyb123
Favorite Author: Amy Tan
Favorite Book: The Far Pavilions
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darcyb123.html
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
fav_author_id: 3701

Post by darcyb123 » 31 Aug 2013, 00:34

It is a little confusing to navigate, but I think you have to be a member at least a week before you are able to chose a free book to review. Also, the more posts you make in the forums, the quicker you are able to begin the reading process. Hope this helps! Good Luck
You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me.

C. S. Lewis

Scott
Site Admin

Post by Scott » 02 Sep 2013, 13:46

You don't have to be a member for a week to get a book to review. Rather the "one week waiting period" for level 0 reviewers means that when a new book becomes available to review, all level 0 reviewers regardless of how long ago they joined will not have the option to review it (and will not even see the opportunity) for a week from the time the book is put up for review. However, to prevent a so-called catch-22 situation in which someone at level 0 never sees any good books to review because they are level 0 but can't increase their level because they cannot find books to review because they are level 0, the one week waiting period is reduced each time the user makes an on-topic post in the forums. Enough posts would mean the waiting period is completely gone. This is explained in more detail by following the appropriate links regarding levels on the Review Team Page, which is also where any information updates or changes will be reflected, as the exact numbers and criteria for levels is subject to change, meaning for instance that the information I have posted in this very post could become outdated a week, a month or a year from now. But I hope what I have posted has cleared something up about the concepts behind the way the review system operates.

Darcyb123, you say "it is a little confusing to navigate". I don't doubt it. Any more information or suggestions you could provide about how it could be easier to navigate would be greatly appreciated. And that goes for everyone, even if you have already figured something out, sending me some feedback about what caused you some confusion or inconvenience helps me improve the system/software.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

Ja5mne
Favorite Author: Bronte Sisters
Favorite Book: Destiny by Sally Beauman
Currently Reading: Christmas on Main St
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ja5mne.html

Post by Ja5mne » 23 Dec 2013, 02:46

I'm dying here lol U'm not sure if I need 50 post of 160+ posts just to get to a free review. It seems I spend forever trying to get reviews to come up but if there is a level 0 with more posts than me, I'm !@# out of luck for finding something. This is very frustrating to me and from the look of the forums many new users. It just doesn't seem the website is user friendly to people who love to read but who also cant sit for hours trying to an imaginary number of posts that'll "possibly" grant them access to free reviews. The whole if someone has more posts than you even though you're the same level rule really bites.

Scott
Site Admin

Post by Scott » 06 Jan 2014, 18:24

Ja5mne, the problems you describe are really rooted in the fact that there are currently more reviewers looking to review books than there are books to review. This will change. I have an open ticket on the matter. But I am just finishing up sorting through some issues before pushing hard on getting an overflow of review opportunities so that once the numbers of reviews increases they go through quicker and with less hiccups. My main concern now is simply to address any site/server speed issues, as I don't want any website slowdowns or crashes to occur during the increased activity.

Ja5mne
Favorite Author: Bronte Sisters
Favorite Book: Destiny by Sally Beauman
Currently Reading: Christmas on Main St
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ja5mne.html

Post by Ja5mne » 07 Jan 2014, 11:49

Awesome thanks Scott!

Andercyn
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Andercyn » 30 Jun 2018, 13:38

Why is it so that I can only add books to my shelves and can't read them?
And every move i make the site keeps logging me out.

CatInTheHat
Bookshelves Moderator
2017 Reading Goal: 52
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 82
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 98
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading: We Were Mothers
Bookshelf Size: 465
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catinthehat.html
Latest Review: Lunch Money by Roger M. Cullen
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by CatInTheHat » 01 Jul 2018, 13:02

Andercyn wrote:
30 Jun 2018, 13:38
Why is it so that I can only add books to my shelves and can't read them?
And every move i make the site keeps logging me out.
The bookshelves are where you can share what you've read, what you want to read and what you are reading. Authors aren't going to give away all those books for free! Sometimes BOTD books are free and the books you review are always free.
Life without a good book is something the CatInTheHat cannot imagine.

Grateful to get the opportunity to explore new books with those in the OBC.

primeRex
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-primerex.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by primeRex » 11 Jul 2018, 04:17

Thanks for the ups here. Yet, it still seems to me that newbies need only engage themselves with forum contributions or activities until found worthy of review opportunities. Please is this thesis correct?

gali
Site Admin
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 105
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Odin's daughter
Bookshelf Size: 1857
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali » 11 Jul 2018, 05:52

primeRex wrote:
11 Jul 2018, 04:17
Thanks for the ups here. Yet, it still seems to me that newbies need only engage themselves with forum contributions or activities until found worthy of review opportunities. Please is this thesis correct?
They should if they want to improve their score. The Guideline, Popularity, and Score tabs explain about that.
In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)

Helen_Combe
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 148
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 160
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: power corrupts by nigel ruddin
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe » 11 Jul 2018, 07:13

primeRex wrote:
11 Jul 2018, 04:17
You can read and review a book as soon as you arrive by going to the review team page and selecting a book. However, I strongly advise that you read all the guidelines and FAQs first otherwise navigation will be overwhelming and the review itself must follow formatting rules. The guidelines are under the ’OnlineBookClub.org home’ tab at the top of the page. Posting on forums (not the off topic), taking part in the daily giveaway and posting on the 3 current book of the months will all add to your popularity scores.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.

primeRex
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-primerex.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by primeRex » 15 Jul 2018, 22:14

Sure thanks for the help. You guys are amazing.

Return to “Public Suggestion Box”