Books for Selection - Number of Pages

(Formerly the "Support, Feedback and Forum Announcements" forum.)
Please help us make Online Book Club even better! Please post suggestions, feedback and ideas for new features. Wild brainstorming and potentially 'crazy ideas' are super-strongly encouraged! :)

For new members (or old members who run into an issue), please make a post in this forum asking any questions you have about using the site and how it works that are not answered in the FAQ. Not only are we happy help you, but also we can use your feedback to make the site better for tomorrow's new member! A lot of the instructions throughout the site and answers in the FAQ are there because someone else pointed out that it wasn't clear before.

---

IMPORTANT: The Public Suggestion Box is NOT for discussing issues with the Review Team. If you are a reviewer and need help, please first check the Review Team Page and then if you still need help use the Review Team Support Forum. If you are an author and need help, please first check the Author Dashboard and if that does not resolve your issue use the private contact form. For reference, there is a contact link on every page of the website.

---

To ensure the above procedures are used, posts by new members in the Suggestion Box will be held for moderation.

There are over 240,000 members at OnlineBookClub.org. Following the proper procedures to get help or make suggestions actually helps us help you much faster.
Forum rules
Please do not discuss issues related to the Review Team in the Public Suggestion Box, as we prefer to deal with Review Team issues privately. If you have an issue or question related to the Review Team, please first check either the Author Dashboard (if you are an author or publisher) or check the Review Team Page (if you are a reviewer). If you are a reviewer and you have a suggestion, you can post that in the special private Review Team Support Forum.
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 25
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 88
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 52
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Spirituality for REAL by WakunDaMa

Books for Selection - Number of Pages

Post by EvaDar » 16 Oct 2019, 12:59

I notice there are quite a few books listed for selection that don't include the number of pages. Sometimes you can find this information on other sites, but often not. Because I have two other jobs in addition to my fun work with OBC, I wouldn't be able to take a book of 400 or more pages. So, I may be missing out on some great books because I don't choose the ones without pages listed, even though many of them sound interesting.

I wonder if there is a way the number of pages could be prioritized for the book selection listing, or if there could be a range given by the author if they can't be more specific.

Thanks.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed

NetMassimo
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 154
Currently Reading: Of Zots and Xoodles
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by NetMassimo » 17 Oct 2019, 01:56

My limits are not that tight but a book of 1,000+ pages would be a problem for me too so I'm interested in this issue.
Ciao :)
Massimo

unamilagra
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 240
Currently Reading: The Explosive Child
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: A Service Dog Life by Kimberly Kiely
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra » 17 Oct 2019, 16:31

The other problem in addition to some books not listing the number of pages is that the number listed is sometimes wildly inaccurate. Recently I saw one that was listed at around 80 pages, and when I went to check it out on Amazon, it was over 600 pages. There are other cases where the reverse has been true - Amazon shows the book with much fewer pages than is listed on OBC. I'm not sure why this happens. Maybe the author just takes a wild guess at the word count when entering the book information? My recommendation would be to always carefully check other sources before accepting a book if the page count is important to you.

EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 25
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 88
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 52
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Spirituality for REAL by WakunDaMa

Post by EvaDar » 17 Oct 2019, 20:30

unamilagra wrote:
17 Oct 2019, 16:31
The other problem in addition to some books not listing the number of pages is that the number listed is sometimes wildly inaccurate. Recently I saw one that was listed at around 80 pages, and when I went to check it out on Amazon, it was over 600 pages. There are other cases where the reverse has been true - Amazon shows the book with much fewer pages than is listed on OBC. I'm not sure why this happens. Maybe the author just takes a wild guess at the word count when entering the book information? My recommendation would be to always carefully check other sources before accepting a book if the page count is important to you.
Yes, I also thoroughly research the book elsewhere before choosing it. And it's is definitely true that sometimes the numbers are wildly off. I wonder if the number of words shows up instead of pages some times when it says 98,763 pages. Also, I think OBC has tried to standardize the page number rubric, with the 250-word average per page. So, a 50-page children's book with 17 words per page, won't be listed with the same number of pages as a 50-page political book with 400 words per page. So that affects it. But anyway, a more accurate representation of the length of books would be really useful.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed

Francesco1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Francesco1 » 18 Oct 2019, 15:15

I have a novel almost ready to be sent to OBC. I must admit my page count is different depending on the program used to prepare it. Using Pages and 1.5 line spacing adds 50 to 75 pages to the story, resulting in a page count of 350+. Using 1 line spacing amounts to approximately 289 pages, and that is with 12 point and Times Roman. My unedited word count is 107,386.
I haven't a clue about true page count. I have been told as an author to not use page numbering; since the reader may change font for readability in which case the page count will change and is not transferred to the numbering of the pages. So I assume that every site or venue is going to have a different approach; which unfortunately leaves the reader in a flux. I would assume if you see a page count in the 10's of thousand you are looking at a word count. AS EvaDar mentioned above.

NetMassimo
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 154
Currently Reading: Of Zots and Xoodles
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by NetMassimo » 19 Oct 2019, 04:38

@Francesco1 your explanation is very useful to understand the terms of this problem. Thank you for your comment.
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Public Suggestion Box”