Not all my 'already read' books are counted on reading completion

(Formerly the "Support, Feedback and Forum Announcements" forum.)
Please help us make Online Book Club even better! Please post suggestions, feedback and ideas for new features. Wild brainstorming and potentially 'crazy ideas' are super-strongly encouraged! :)

For new members (or old members who run into an issue), please make a post in this forum asking any questions you have about using the site and how it works that are not answered in the FAQ. Not only are we happy help you, but also we can use your feedback to make the site better for tomorrow's new member! A lot of the instructions throughout the site and answers in the FAQ are there because someone else pointed out that it wasn't clear before.

---

IMPORTANT: The Public Suggestion Box is NOT for discussing issues with the Review Team. If you are a reviewer and need help, please first check the Review Team Page and then if you still need help use the Review Team Support Forum. If you are an author and need help, please first check the Author Dashboard and if that does not resolve your issue use the private contact form. For reference, there is a contact link on every page of the website.

---

To ensure the above procedures are used, posts by new members in the Suggestion Box will be held for moderation.

There are over 240,000 members at OnlineBookClub.org. Following the proper procedures to get help or make suggestions actually helps us help you much faster.
Forum rules
Please do not discuss issues related to the Review Team in the Public Suggestion Box, as we prefer to deal with Review Team issues privately. If you have an issue or question related to the Review Team, please first check either the Author Dashboard (if you are an author or publisher) or check the Review Team Page (if you are a reviewer). If you are a reviewer and you have a suggestion, you can post that in the special private Review Team Support Forum.
LianaMayhew
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 81
Favorite Book: The Orb
Currently Reading: House of Eire
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lianamayhew.html
Latest Review: The Neighbour At Number 18 (Reload) by Hawa Crickmore

Not all my 'already read' books are counted on reading completion

Post by LianaMayhew » 14 Sep 2019, 19:56

I have noticed that although I have already read over 50 books, my 'reading completion' is saying I've only read 16. I'm unable to change it. Is anyone else having this issue? And how can I have my reading completion changed to match what I have done?

Ben Moore
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 66
Favorite Author: C. S. Lewis
Currently Reading: The Diary of Samuel Pepys, Vol. 1
Bookshelf Size: 514
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ben-moore.html
fav_author_id: 4569

Post by Ben Moore » 15 Sep 2019, 03:03

You have to make sure you set the date that you read it when you added them. I had this problem with books that I added a while after reading them (I.e. they didn’t go through the ‘currently reading shelf’) but you can edit the setting!
'All bad poetry springs from genuine feeling' - Oscar Wilde
'Am reading more Oscar Wilde. What a tiresome, affected sod' - Noël Coward

Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 84
2018 Reading Goal: 65
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 60
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 78
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Hive
Bookshelf Size: 969
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy » 15 Sep 2019, 05:17

:text-yeahthat:
Sometimes you need to take peoples' minds off their problems if you want those problems to resolve themselves.
...Not all problems can be fixed. Sometimes you have to wait until the situation changes.

Seanan McGuire, The Unkindest Tide

LianaMayhew

Post by LianaMayhew » 15 Sep 2019, 09:31

Thank you. Does that mean that when I change the setting, they will be put as already read?

Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 84
2018 Reading Goal: 65
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 60
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 78
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Hive
Bookshelf Size: 969
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy » 15 Sep 2019, 21:23

If they aren't already marked as read you probably won't have the option of changing the 'date read.'

In that case, just mark them as read, and change the date after that.

You can also shorten the process by adding the book to your currently reading shelf before rating it. The 'date read' probably won't be accurate, but it will count toward your yearly goal.
The only time that won't work is if it's already been on a rated shelf (the system doesn't count rereads towards the goal).
Sometimes you need to take peoples' minds off their problems if you want those problems to resolve themselves.
...Not all problems can be fixed. Sometimes you have to wait until the situation changes.

Seanan McGuire, The Unkindest Tide

LianaMayhew

Post by LianaMayhew » 16 Sep 2019, 17:44

Thank you for your help. I have managed it now :)

Return to “Public Suggestion Box”