Suggestions for Bookshelves and Social Media

(Formerly the "Support, Feedback and Forum Announcements" forum.)
Please help us make Online Book Club even better! Please post suggestions, feedback and ideas for new features. Wild brainstorming and potentially 'crazy ideas' are super-strongly encouraged! :)

For new members (or old members who run into an issue), please make a post in this forum asking any questions you have about using the site and how it works that are not answered in the FAQ. Not only are we happy help you, but also we can use your feedback to make the site better for tomorrow's new member! A lot of the instructions throughout the site and answers in the FAQ are there because someone else pointed out that it wasn't clear before.

---

IMPORTANT: The Public Suggestion Box is NOT for discussing issues with the Review Team. If you are a reviewer and need help, please first check the Review Team Page and then if you still need help use the Review Team Support Forum. If you are an author and need help, please first check the Author Dashboard and if that does not resolve your issue use the private contact form. For reference, there is a contact link on every page of the website.

---

To ensure the above procedures are used, posts by new members in the Suggestion Box will be held for moderation.

There are over 240,000 members at OnlineBookClub.org. Following the proper procedures to get help or make suggestions actually helps us help you much faster.
Forum rules
Please do not discuss issues related to the Review Team in the Public Suggestion Box. If you have an issue or question related to the review Team, please check either the Author Dashboard (if you are an author or publisher), or check the Review Team Page (if you are a reviewer).
Post Reply
User avatar
Noosh
Posts: 150
Joined: 09 Apr 2019, 10:05
2019 Reading Goal: 300
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 44
Currently Reading: Dom Casamurro
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noosh.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Suggestions for Bookshelves and Social Media

Post by Noosh » 01 Jul 2019, 03:56

Hey everyone! :)

So, first of all, why don't we have a LGBT+ Genre on the list? Actually, the Genre list is too short. So, maybe add more to the list or allow the users add them? This would help us find the books easily and it expands the shelves here (by adding lgbt books).

My second suggestions is adding IG to our social media. I know, I did mention it on another topic today but I think I should repeat it again: Most of us use instagram, right? I have an active bookstagram account where I post about books at least once a week. So, if we can share the books that we have reviewed here on our IG stories I think we can have more views...

Does anyone agree?
“Never trust anyone who has not brought a book with them.”
― Lemony Snicket, Horseradish

User avatar
Nisha Ward
Posts: 1172
Joined: 04 Feb 2019, 15:00
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 65
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: The Crystilleries of Echoland
Currently Reading: Breach
Bookshelf Size: 180
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: The Ultimate Guide to Zombies by Dave Robertson
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward » 01 Jul 2019, 04:32

I'm not so sure about IG but I'm definitely behind expanding the genre list.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.

User avatar
Noosh
Posts: 150
Joined: 09 Apr 2019, 10:05
2019 Reading Goal: 300
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 44
Currently Reading: Dom Casamurro
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noosh.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Noosh » 01 Jul 2019, 04:41

Nisha Ward wrote:
01 Jul 2019, 04:32
I'm not so sure about IG but I'm definitely behind expanding the genre list.
Okay, respect to the IG thing :)
Yey! Expand the Genre List! :techie-studyinggray:
“Never trust anyone who has not brought a book with them.”
― Lemony Snicket, Horseradish

User avatar
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Posts: 34373
Joined: 27 Aug 2014, 02:02
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 70
2018 Reading Goal: 65
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 60
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 78
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Faerie Queene
Bookshelf Size: 956
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy » 01 Jul 2019, 06:15

I hear you about the genre list (and I think I may bring up adding LGBTQ+ as a separate genre. I love that idea!), but Scott is usually not in favor of adding new genres without a really good reason. (As you can see, several genres are lumped together on the forums.)

As for the genres on Bookshelves, there is an option members can use to designate more specific genres/subjects. While it isn't a perfect solution, the tagging system allows you to add sub-genre and other subject designations, and you can then click on the tag to see what other books have had it added to it. :tiphat:
You're nobody's rainbow.
You're nobody's princess.
You're nobody's doorway but your own,
and the only one who gets to tell you

how your story ends is you.
Seanan McGuire ~ Every Heart a Doorway

User avatar
Noosh
Posts: 150
Joined: 09 Apr 2019, 10:05
2019 Reading Goal: 300
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 44
Currently Reading: Dom Casamurro
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noosh.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Noosh » 01 Jul 2019, 07:50

Gravy wrote:
01 Jul 2019, 06:15
I hear you about the genre list (and I think I may bring up adding LGBTQ+ as a separate genre. I love that idea!), but Scott is usually not in favor of adding new genres without a really good reason. (As you can see, several genres are lumped together on the forums.)

As for the genres on Bookshelves, there is an option members can use to designate more specific genres/subjects. While it isn't a perfect solution, the tagging system allows you to add sub-genre and other subject designations, and you can then click on the tag to see what other books have had it added to it. :tiphat:

Also, it just occurred to me, a book doesn't belong to just one specific genre. I mean, a book can be YA and Fantasy and a Retelling. This is more specific. I was trying to add the genre of a book on the bookshelves and found out that I could only choose one. It's not cool.

Also, I love your profile picture <3 :)
“Never trust anyone who has not brought a book with them.”
― Lemony Snicket, Horseradish

User avatar
Nisha Ward
Posts: 1172
Joined: 04 Feb 2019, 15:00
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 65
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: The Crystilleries of Echoland
Currently Reading: Breach
Bookshelf Size: 180
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: The Ultimate Guide to Zombies by Dave Robertson
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward » 01 Jul 2019, 13:09

Gravy wrote:
01 Jul 2019, 06:15
I hear you about the genre list (and I think I may bring up adding LGBTQ+ as a separate genre. I love that idea!), but Scott is usually not in favor of adding new genres without a really good reason. (As you can see, several genres are lumped together on the forums.)

As for the genres on Bookshelves, there is an option members can use to designate more specific genres/subjects. While it isn't a perfect solution, the tagging system allows you to add sub-genre and other subject designations, and you can then click on the tag to see what other books have had it added to it. :tiphat:
That's fair and thanks for mentioning that! I didn't know how that worked.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.

User avatar
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Posts: 34373
Joined: 27 Aug 2014, 02:02
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 70
2018 Reading Goal: 65
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 60
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 78
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Faerie Queene
Bookshelf Size: 956
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy » 01 Jul 2019, 19:20

Noosh wrote:
01 Jul 2019, 07:50
Gravy wrote:
01 Jul 2019, 06:15
I hear you about the genre list (and I think I may bring up adding LGBTQ+ as a separate genre. I love that idea!), but Scott is usually not in favor of adding new genres without a really good reason. (As you can see, several genres are lumped together on the forums.)

As for the genres on Bookshelves, there is an option members can use to designate more specific genres/subjects. While it isn't a perfect solution, the tagging system allows you to add sub-genre and other subject designations, and you can then click on the tag to see what other books have had it added to it. :tiphat:

Also, it just occurred to me, a book doesn't belong to just one specific genre. I mean, a book can be YA and Fantasy and a Retelling. This is more specific. I was trying to add the genre of a book on the bookshelves and found out that I could only choose one. It's not cool.

Also, I love your profile picture <3 :)
Thank you. :D

I know what you mean.
I believe there is a tagging feature (much like on Bookshelves) for reviews on the list of things to be added. :tiphat:
You're nobody's rainbow.
You're nobody's princess.
You're nobody's doorway but your own,
and the only one who gets to tell you

how your story ends is you.
Seanan McGuire ~ Every Heart a Doorway

User avatar
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Posts: 34373
Joined: 27 Aug 2014, 02:02
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 70
2018 Reading Goal: 65
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 60
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 78
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Faerie Queene
Bookshelf Size: 956
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy » 01 Jul 2019, 19:24

Nisha Ward wrote:
01 Jul 2019, 13:09
Gravy wrote:
01 Jul 2019, 06:15
I hear you about the genre list (and I think I may bring up adding LGBTQ+ as a separate genre. I love that idea!), but Scott is usually not in favor of adding new genres without a really good reason. (As you can see, several genres are lumped together on the forums.)

As for the genres on Bookshelves, there is an option members can use to designate more specific genres/subjects. While it isn't a perfect solution, the tagging system allows you to add sub-genre and other subject designations, and you can then click on the tag to see what other books have had it added to it. :tiphat:
That's fair and thanks for mentioning that! I didn't know how that worked.
:tiphat:

I try to always add at least one tag when I get done reading a book. (Though I think I've been failing at that recently. :oops: )
It's interesting seeing what gets added. :shock: :lol:
You're nobody's rainbow.
You're nobody's princess.
You're nobody's doorway but your own,
and the only one who gets to tell you

how your story ends is you.
Seanan McGuire ~ Every Heart a Doorway

User avatar
Noosh
Posts: 150
Joined: 09 Apr 2019, 10:05
2019 Reading Goal: 300
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 44
Currently Reading: Dom Casamurro
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noosh.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Noosh » 01 Jul 2019, 23:02

Gravy wrote:
01 Jul 2019, 19:20
Noosh wrote:
01 Jul 2019, 07:50
Gravy wrote:
01 Jul 2019, 06:15
I hear you about the genre list (and I think I may bring up adding LGBTQ+ as a separate genre. I love that idea!), but Scott is usually not in favor of adding new genres without a really good reason. (As you can see, several genres are lumped together on the forums.)

As for the genres on Bookshelves, there is an option members can use to designate more specific genres/subjects. While it isn't a perfect solution, the tagging system allows you to add sub-genre and other subject designations, and you can then click on the tag to see what other books have had it added to it. :tiphat:

Also, it just occurred to me, a book doesn't belong to just one specific genre. I mean, a book can be YA and Fantasy and a Retelling. This is more specific. I was trying to add the genre of a book on the bookshelves and found out that I could only choose one. It's not cool.

Also, I love your profile picture <3 :)
Thank you. :D

I know what you mean.
I believe there is a tagging feature (much like on Bookshelves) for reviews on the list of things to be added. :tiphat:

Yeah, about that. I can add the genre of a book on the bookshelves, and the publisher or the publication date but not the tagging feature. :eusa-think:
Can you help me with that?
“Never trust anyone who has not brought a book with them.”
― Lemony Snicket, Horseradish

User avatar
Noosh
Posts: 150
Joined: 09 Apr 2019, 10:05
2019 Reading Goal: 300
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 44
Currently Reading: Dom Casamurro
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noosh.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Noosh » 02 Jul 2019, 01:37

Noosh wrote:
01 Jul 2019, 23:02
Gravy wrote:
01 Jul 2019, 19:20
Noosh wrote:
01 Jul 2019, 07:50



Also, it just occurred to me, a book doesn't belong to just one specific genre. I mean, a book can be YA and Fantasy and a Retelling. This is more specific. I was trying to add the genre of a book on the bookshelves and found out that I could only choose one. It's not cool.

Also, I love your profile picture <3 :)
Thank you. :D

I know what you mean.
I believe there is a tagging feature (much like on Bookshelves) for reviews on the list of things to be added. :tiphat:

Yeah, about that. I can add the genre of a book on the bookshelves, and the publisher or the publication date but not the tagging feature. :eusa-think:
Can you help me with that?
Don't worry, I got it. Gotta be a moderator to do that. and I ain't no moderator yet.
“Never trust anyone who has not brought a book with them.”
― Lemony Snicket, Horseradish

User avatar
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Posts: 34373
Joined: 27 Aug 2014, 02:02
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 70
2018 Reading Goal: 65
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 60
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 78
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Faerie Queene
Bookshelf Size: 956
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy » 02 Jul 2019, 20:22

Noosh wrote:
02 Jul 2019, 01:37
Noosh wrote:
01 Jul 2019, 23:02
Gravy wrote:
01 Jul 2019, 19:20


Thank you. :D

I know what you mean.
I believe there is a tagging feature (much like on Bookshelves) for reviews on the list of things to be added. :tiphat:

Yeah, about that. I can add the genre of a book on the bookshelves, and the publisher or the publication date but not the tagging feature. :eusa-think:
Can you help me with that?
Don't worry, I got it. Gotta be a moderator to do that. and I ain't no moderator yet.

You should be able to add tags to books.

What does it say on the tagging feature?
You're nobody's rainbow.
You're nobody's princess.
You're nobody's doorway but your own,
and the only one who gets to tell you

how your story ends is you.
Seanan McGuire ~ Every Heart a Doorway

User avatar
Noosh
Posts: 150
Joined: 09 Apr 2019, 10:05
2019 Reading Goal: 300
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 44
Currently Reading: Dom Casamurro
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noosh.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Noosh » 02 Jul 2019, 23:16

Gravy wrote:
02 Jul 2019, 20:22
Noosh wrote:
02 Jul 2019, 01:37
Noosh wrote:
01 Jul 2019, 23:02



Yeah, about that. I can add the genre of a book on the bookshelves, and the publisher or the publication date but not the tagging feature. :eusa-think:
Can you help me with that?
Don't worry, I got it. Gotta be a moderator to do that. and I ain't no moderator yet.

You should be able to add tags to books.

What does it say on the tagging feature?


I added a book to my shelves and here, look:

Subgenre Hashtags for Wolfsong (Green Creek #1)

No hashtags for Wolfsong (Green Creek #1) have been added yet. Sad Face

Effective May 29th 2019, you must have moderator privileges to add hashtags to a book.
“Never trust anyone who has not brought a book with them.”
― Lemony Snicket, Horseradish

User avatar
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Posts: 34373
Joined: 27 Aug 2014, 02:02
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 70
2018 Reading Goal: 65
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 60
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 78
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Faerie Queene
Bookshelf Size: 956
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy » 03 Jul 2019, 03:02

Huh... :eusa-think:

Not sure why that may have changed.
You're nobody's rainbow.
You're nobody's princess.
You're nobody's doorway but your own,
and the only one who gets to tell you

how your story ends is you.
Seanan McGuire ~ Every Heart a Doorway

User avatar
Noosh
Posts: 150
Joined: 09 Apr 2019, 10:05
2019 Reading Goal: 300
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 44
Currently Reading: Dom Casamurro
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noosh.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Noosh » 03 Jul 2019, 05:21

Gravy wrote:
03 Jul 2019, 03:02
Huh... :eusa-think:

Not sure why that may have changed.
I think I read somewhere that if we have at least 100 posts on the forums then we can apply for moderator? If that's correct then I'll be adding tags left and right soon :D (hopefully)
“Never trust anyone who has not brought a book with them.”
― Lemony Snicket, Horseradish

Post Reply

Return to “Public Suggestion Box”