Twitter rewards: adding to bookshelves

(Formerly the "Support, Feedback and Forum Announcements" forum.)
Please help us make Online Book Club even better! Please post suggestions, feedback and ideas for new features. Wild brainstorming and potentially 'crazy ideas' are super-strongly encouraged! :)

For new members (or old members who run into an issue), please make a post in this forum asking any questions you have about using the site and how it works that are not answered in the FAQ. Not only are we happy help you, but also we can use your feedback to make the site better for tomorrow's new member! A lot of the instructions throughout the site and answers in the FAQ are there because someone else pointed out that it wasn't clear before.

---

IMPORTANT: The Public Suggestion Box is NOT for discussing issues with the Review Team. If you are a reviewer and need help, please first check the Review Team Page and then if you still need help use the Review Team Support Forum. If you are an author and need help, please first check the Author Dashboard and if that does not resolve your issue use the private contact form. For reference, there is a contact link on every page of the website.

---

To ensure the above procedures are used, posts by new members in the Suggestion Box will be held for moderation.

There are over 240,000 members at OnlineBookClub.org. Following the proper procedures to get help or make suggestions actually helps us help you much faster.
Forum rules
Please do not discuss issues related to the Review Team in the Public Suggestion Box. If you have an issue or question related to the review Team, please check either the Author Dashboard (if you are an author or publisher), or check the Review Team Page (if you are a reviewer).
skindrukas
2019 Reading Goal: 10
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skindrukas.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO

Twitter rewards: adding to bookshelves

Post by skindrukas » 29 Apr 2019, 08:20

One of the obligations to participate in the program is to add the BOTD to any of your bookshelves, every day. Which I did. And double checked every time if the books were added.

When the time was up I've been informed that I failed to add the books on several days. Which, I think, happened because I've already had those books added to my bookshelves before.

Nevertheless, I removed them from my bookshelves and added again. Just to make sure I did the adding every day.

Yet, the message told me I failed to add them.

Why? And how to prevent that in future?
The temple bell stops but I still hear the sound coming out of the flowers. --- Matsuo Basho

Balazon2000
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 17
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: The Sparrow
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-balazon2000.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider
Reading Device: B07BNZ74G8

Post by Balazon2000 » 29 Apr 2019, 09:02

You at least got a message warning. I didn't even see where that was a requirement. This is what I get in the email.

"To get the points for using Bookshelves, you need to have at least 10 books in your shelves, and you need to keep your currently reading shelf up-to-date."

Doesn't say a thing about adding a book daily. I have over 10 books on my shelf.

I'm assuming that's why I now have just 9 carryover entries and have lost a few months of work looking at the books required. This is a big issue for me since this directly affects the score required to keep getting paid for books.

gali
Site Admin
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 35
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 100
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Cat Who Blew the Whistle
Bookshelf Size: 1911
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali » 29 Apr 2019, 10:47

skindrukas wrote: ↑
29 Apr 2019, 08:20
One of the obligations to participate in the program is to add the BOTD to any of your bookshelves, every day. Which I did. And double checked every time if the books were added.

When the time was up I've been informed that I failed to add the books on several days. Which, I think, happened because I've already had those books added to my bookshelves before.

Nevertheless, I removed them from my bookshelves and added again. Just to make sure I did the adding every day.

Yet, the message told me I failed to add them.

Why? And how to prevent that in future?

If the books are already on your Shelves, you don't need to remove and add them again. You may added duplicates of the books instead of the original ones. The BOTDs are already on the General Shelf, so you should just need to add them to your Shelf via the link on the Giveaway page. Your Dashboard should show if you added the correct books and when.
In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)

Balazon2000

Post by Balazon2000 » 29 Apr 2019, 10:50

Can someone show me where it states that you need to add the BOTD to your bookshelf?

gali
Site Admin

Post by gali » 29 Apr 2019, 10:52

Balazon2000 wrote: ↑
29 Apr 2019, 09:02
You at least got a message warning. I didn't even see where that was a requirement. This is what I get in the email.

"To get the points for using Bookshelves, you need to have at least 10 books in your shelves, and you need to keep your currently reading shelf up-to-date."

Doesn't say a thing about adding a book daily. I have over 10 books on my shelf.

I'm assuming that's why I now have just 9 carryover entries and have lost a few months of work looking at the books required. This is a big issue for me since this directly affects the score required to keep getting paid for books.
The Giveaway page clearly says that:
To get the points for using Bookshelves, you need to have at least 10 books in your shelves, and you need to keep your currently reading shelf up-to-date.
You just lose one point for not using the Shelves.
In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)

Balazon2000

Post by Balazon2000 » 29 Apr 2019, 11:21

Okay that makes sense.
1. My bookshelves are kept up (even if I'm not currently reading anything)
2. I lost a lot of points over the past couple of days (more than 1 point) From 532 to 9. I've seen other members have lost a ton of points as well.
3. Thanks Gali You are awesome. you always answer my questions quickly. I appreciate it.

gali
Site Admin

Post by gali » 29 Apr 2019, 11:26

Balazon2000 wrote: ↑
29 Apr 2019, 11:21
Okay that makes sense.
1. My bookshelves are kept up (even if I'm not currently reading anything)
2. I lost a lot of points over the past couple of days (more than 1 point) From 532 to 9. I've seen other members have lost a ton of points as well.
3. Thanks Gali You are awesome. you always answer my questions quickly. I appreciate it.
You only lose so many points if you were either disqualified or won the Giveaway. Your history tab on the Giveaway page should show what is the case. If you were disqualified, you should have got an email about that.

You're welcome! :tiphat:

skindrukas
Currently Reading:

Post by skindrukas » 30 Apr 2019, 02:04

gali wrote: ↑
29 Apr 2019, 10:47

If the books are already on your Shelves, you don't need to remove and add them again. You may added duplicates of the books instead of the original ones. The BOTDs are already on the General Shelf, so you should just need to add them to your Shelf via the link on the Giveaway page. Your Dashboard should show if you added the correct books and when.
Thanks!
The temple bell stops but I still hear the sound coming out of the flowers. --- Matsuo Basho

skindrukas
Currently Reading:

Post by skindrukas » 02 May 2019, 15:40

I've started a new period on Twitter reward program and just checked if I added the BOTD every day. And again, it shows one day that I didn't add the BOTD to my shelves! How can that be?

I'd love someone to explain me in more details how to add the right BOTD.

How I've been adding them until now? I go to the review link on the BOTD giveaway page, then I go to the link that is given under the review ("on bookshelves"). From there I add the BOTD to my bookshelves. Am I doing it wrong? Is there a more direct link to the right BOTD on bookshelves?

skindrukas
Currently Reading:

Post by skindrukas » 02 May 2019, 15:47

I see the potential improvement of the page here... One of those should solve the problem:

1. On the giveaway page, adding a direct link to the BOTD on bookshelves

2. On the Twitter reward page, adding a tool to check if you've added today's BOTD (right now you can check if you adde all BOTDs up until yesterday)

Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 40
2018 Reading Goal: 65
2017 Reading Goal: 60
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 78
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: Middlegame
Bookshelf Size: 946
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy » 02 May 2019, 20:57

The best link to add it from is actually the one provided in the email. That goes directly to the book's page that is marked as that day's BotD.

Unfortunately, sometimes there are duplicates of the BotDs, even via the official or volunteer reviews, usually because the author has submitted it more than once or because it is a newer or otherwise altered version of the book.

If something happens that you use the link from the email and still get that message, send us a message via the contact form and we'll forward it to Scott.
Just make sure you include the books that are being marked as not added. :tiphat:
You're nobody's rainbow.

You're nobody's princess.

You're nobody's doorway but your own, and the only one who gets to tell you how your story ends is you.

Seanan McGuire ~ Every Heart a Doorway

skindrukas
Currently Reading:

Post by skindrukas » 03 May 2019, 02:04

Gravy wrote: ↑
02 May 2019, 20:57
The best link to add it from is actually the one provided in the email. That goes directly to the book's page that is marked as that day's BotD.

Unfortunately, sometimes there are duplicates of the BotDs, even via the official or volunteer reviews, usually because the author has submitted it more than once or because it is a newer or otherwise altered version of the book.

If something happens that you use the link from the email and still get that message, send us a message via the contact form and we'll forward it to Scott.
Just make sure you include the books that are being marked as not added. :tiphat:
Thank you! I'll do that from now!

Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 40
2018 Reading Goal: 65
2017 Reading Goal: 60
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 78
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: Middlegame
Bookshelf Size: 946
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy » 03 May 2019, 03:18

No problem. :D
You're nobody's rainbow.

You're nobody's princess.

You're nobody's doorway but your own, and the only one who gets to tell you how your story ends is you.

Seanan McGuire ~ Every Heart a Doorway

Return to “Public Suggestion Box”