"Your Shelves" Won't Load

So that we can provide faster and better support, this forum (the "Public Suggestion Box") has been retired. Instead, please send any suggestions you have to us using the official website contact form.

This allows us to streamline our support system so that we can get to your message much faster. Instead of our support staff having to check three different places (support forum, suggestion box, and contact form messages), they know can respond to all message through one method, with that one method being the official website contact form.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Re: "Your Shelves" Won't Load

Post by Gravy »

@crisleem
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
JudyF
Currently Reading: Hallowed Ground
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by JudyF »

On 06/17/19, I attempted to open "My Bookshelves", but the page was unresponsive. I tried this several times throughout the day with no success. My goal was to move a book from "currently reading" to "already read", but could not do this. I could not link to any of the three books on my list. I wasn't able to find info about this issue on the website, so I sent a message to the moderators. "Gravy" responded. It was recommended to try incognito mode, which I did. In incognito mode, I wasn't able to link to anything on the "my bookshelves" page. Gravy mentioned this thread, which I wasn't able to find on my own when I searched the website yesterday. Btw, I wasn't able to reply to Gravy's message.- I wondered if this inability to reply is purposeful/standard. Anyway, AFTER I tried incognito, then turned off incognito, I went back to the "my bookshelves" page and was able to link to the book and move it to the already-read bookshelf. I'm sorry that I'm not fully certain as to how to manipulate "tags" so that certain persons, such as @Scott will see this message. @Scott :?
Gravy

Post by Gravy »

JudyF wrote: 18 Jun 2019, 05:12 On 06/17/19, I attempted to open "My Bookshelves", but the page was unresponsive. I tried this several times throughout the day with no success. My goal was to move a book from "currently reading" to "already read", but could not do this. I could not link to any of the three books on my list. I wasn't able to find info about this issue on the website, so I sent a message to the moderators. "Gravy" responded. It was recommended to try incognito mode, which I did. In incognito mode, I wasn't able to link to anything on the "my bookshelves" page. Gravy mentioned this thread, which I wasn't able to find on my own when I searched the website yesterday. Btw, I wasn't able to reply to Gravy's message.- I wondered if this inability to reply is purposeful/standard. Anyway, AFTER I tried incognito, then turned off incognito, I went back to the "my bookshelves" page and was able to link to the book and move it to the already-read bookshelf. I'm sorry that I'm not fully certain as to how to manipulate "tags" so that certain persons, such as @Scott will see this message. @Scott :?
New members have limited access to certain things, sending PMs being one of them. Once you've made some posts in the on-topic section of the site you will be able to send PMs.
As for tagging, it works via BBCode. If you type in a member's name and highlight it, then wrap it in any of the BBCode (say the code for bolding), then replace the 'b' with 'mention', it will tag the member. (I have no idea why it isn't there with the rest of the BBCode shortcuts.)

I'll tag @Scott for you. Hopefully we can get this figured out. :tiphat:

JudyF

Post by JudyF »

Thank you for your response, but it's like learning a new language. I'm sorry that I don't understand tagging, but I don't do Facebook or Twitter where i guess I would have learned this. This website seems to be way too much work just to figure out how to begin to participate. I did originally sign up in 2015 and had given up back then, thought I could come back and figure it out now, but it isn't working out.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

JudyF wrote: 18 Jun 2019, 05:12I could not link to any of the three books on my list. [...] I wasn't able to link to anything on the "my bookshelves" page.
Hi, Judy,

I am very sorry for the trouble. I don't understand exactly what the two sentences above mean. Could you explain a bit more what you mean?

Do you have pictures showing the error(s) or error message(s) or unresponsive page(s)? Let me know if you do, and then I will give my email address so you can email those pictures to me.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
JudyF

Post by JudyF »

You don't know what "could not link" means? It means that I tried to "click" the item and nothing happened. However, that issue began working on the next day, so it may be fixed.
Gravy

Post by Gravy »

@Scott

I actually just had this happen when viewing a members shelves.
I've gone quite a while without experiencing it, but when it happens, it locks the whole page up. Can't scroll up or down, can't click any links, can't even go back from the page. The entire window is just frozen.

I don't have any ad blockers or anything like that.

I believe the first time this ever happened was not too long after the addition of the 'shelves most like yours' feature. :eusa-think:

It's so hit or miss that I can't actually predict it happening. For instance, I just visited the same member's shelves as before with no problem.

Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

Gravy wrote: 20 Jun 2019, 22:02 @Scott

I actually just had this happen when viewing a members shelves.
I've gone quite a while without experiencing it, but when it happens, it locks the whole page up. Can't scroll up or down, can't click any links, can't even go back from the page. The entire window is just frozen.

I don't have any ad blockers or anything like that.

I believe the first time this ever happened was not too long after the addition of the 'shelves most like yours' feature. :eusa-think:

It's so hit or miss that I can't actually predict it happening. For instance, I just visited the same member's shelves as before with no problem.
I have temporarily removed the "similar shelves" feature. Let's give it a few days and see if that seems to resolve the issue. If the issue persists, I will add the feature back unchanged. If the issue is resolved, I will debugging and modify that feature accordingly before re-adding it back.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
Gravy

Post by Gravy »

I've been shelf hopping, attempting to trigger it, but it hasn't happened. (Not unusual, it will sometimes go days without happening for me.)

@JudyF
Could you please give it a try and see what happens?

Return to “Public Suggestion Box (Retired)”