"Your Shelves" Won't Load

(Formerly the "Support, Feedback and Forum Announcements" forum.)
Please help us make Online Book Club even better! Please post suggestions, feedback and ideas for new features. Wild brainstorming and potentially 'crazy ideas' are super-strongly encouraged! :)

For new members (or old members who run into an issue), please make a post in this forum asking any questions you have about using the site and how it works that are not answered in the FAQ. Not only are we happy help you, but also we can use your feedback to make the site better for tomorrow's new member! A lot of the instructions throughout the site and answers in the FAQ are there because someone else pointed out that it wasn't clear before.

---

IMPORTANT: The Public Suggestion Box is NOT for discussing issues with the Review Team. If you are a reviewer and need help, please first check the Review Team Page and then if you still need help use the Review Team Support Forum. If you are an author and need help, please first check the Author Dashboard and if that does not resolve your issue use the private contact form. For reference, there is a contact link on every page of the website.

---

To ensure the above procedures are used, posts by new members in the Suggestion Box will be held for moderation.

There are over 240,000 members at OnlineBookClub.org. Following the proper procedures to get help or make suggestions actually helps us help you much faster.
Forum rules
Please do not discuss issues related to the Review Team in the Public Suggestion Box. If you have an issue or question related to the review Team, please check either the Author Dashboard (if you are an author or publisher), or check the Review Team Page (if you are a reviewer).
crsz10
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Favorite Book: The prince of tides
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crsz10.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

"Your Shelves" Won't Load

Post by crsz10 » 25 Mar 2019, 17:50

Whenever I click on "Your shelves" through the navigational menu, the page never loads. Sometimes, the page does load but becomes unresponsive and I have to exit the tab. Most definitely, the page becomes unresponsive when I attempt to click on any of the links. I have only been able to add books to the shelves through other links. However, I am unable to actually view.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you. :tiphat:
"Man wonders but God decides
When to kill the Prince of Tides.
"

~ Pat Conroy :character-megaman:

gali
Site Admin
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 36
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 100
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Cat Who Blew the Whistle
Bookshelf Size: 1913
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali » 25 Mar 2019, 23:11

I just added a book to my Shelf and had no trouble adding it or clicking on its links.

When a book is already on the Shelf, the system won't let you add it anew. Can you give some examples to books you tried to add?
In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)

B Creech
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 30
Currently Reading: The Eleventh Commandment
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-b-creech.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by B Creech » 28 Mar 2019, 08:08

I'm having basically the same problem with "YOUR SHELVES" becoming unresponsive when I am attempting to add books. I have been able to add some but for the most part it goes unresponsive regardless of what I am attempting to do such as: add a cover to a book or move a book from one shelf to another.
B. Creech

Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 42
2018 Reading Goal: 65
2017 Reading Goal: 60
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 78
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Faerie Queene
Bookshelf Size: 946
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy » 28 Mar 2019, 20:19

Is it all pages on Bookshelves, or just your shelves?

Have you tried accessing them while logged out? Does it work better when you're logged out?

Have you tried to access them with an incognito tab? If so, does it work better?
You're nobody's rainbow.

You're nobody's princess.

You're nobody's doorway but your own, and the only one who gets to tell you how your story ends is you.

Seanan McGuire ~ Every Heart a Doorway

yasminehaddi
Currently Reading: Far from the Madding Crowd
Bookshelf Size: 25

Post by yasminehaddi » 11 Apr 2019, 13:31

Hi, I'm a new member that joined recently (actually just now haha) and I've been having problems with the 'your shelves' tab. The rest of the site works just fine but whenever I try to update my shelves, it won't reload or respond. The page basically freezes and nothing works. I tried closing my browser and reloading the site but nothing seems to work for me. I'm dying to display all the great novels I've read these past years rather than sticking with the same soulless shelves so any help is much appreciated!

Gravy

Post by Gravy » 12 Apr 2019, 19:57

yasminehaddi wrote:
11 Apr 2019, 13:31
Hi, I'm a new member that joined recently (actually just now haha) and I've been having problems with the 'your shelves' tab. The rest of the site works just fine but whenever I try to update my shelves, it won't reload or respond. The page basically freezes and nothing works. I tried closing my browser and reloading the site but nothing seems to work for me. I'm dying to display all the great novels I've read these past years rather than sticking with the same soulless shelves so any help is much appreciated!
This seems to be an ongoing issue with some members' shelves.
I'll tag @Scott so he sees this.

Meanwhile, have you tried viewing them in an incognito tab? If so, does it still happen?
You're nobody's rainbow.

You're nobody's doorway but your own, and the only one who gets to tell you how your story ends is you.

Scott
Site Admin
2019 Reading Goal: 52
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 19
2018 Reading Goal: 52
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 7
2017 Reading Goal: 36
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 25
Favorite Author: Voltairine de Cleyre
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 2660

Post by Scott » 13 Apr 2019, 14:04

@yasminehaddi, sorry for the trouble. You mention that the error occurs when you try to update your shelves. Do you mind if I ask you to be even more specific? Like in what sense exactly are you trying to update your shelves?

Can you walk me through step-by-step what you do that creates the problem? The more we can backtrack the steps that lead to the issue, the better.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid

yasminehaddi

Post by yasminehaddi » 19 Apr 2019, 04:56

Thanks for replying! Sorry I wasn't too specific. Basically, everything on the website works fine, it's just that whenever I click on 'Your shelves', the page is stuck loading and I get an error 'Page is unresponsive' after a few minutes. I can still see the page, but I can't click on anything. This has been a problem for over a week now. Mind you, I have tried this on an incognito tab and had similar issues.

yasminehaddi

Post by yasminehaddi » 19 Apr 2019, 05:05

Hey! I finally got it to work. I used firefox's private tab rather than chrome's incognito tab and was able to acess the page. I don't know if that helps or anything.

Gravy

Post by Gravy » 19 Apr 2019, 20:29

I'll tag @Scott back in so he sees this. :tiphat:
You're nobody's rainbow.

Scott
Site Admin
2019 Reading Goal: 52
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 19
2018 Reading Goal: 52
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 7
2017 Reading Goal: 36
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 25
Favorite Author: Voltairine de Cleyre
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 2660

Post by Scott » 20 Apr 2019, 13:39

yasminehaddi wrote:
19 Apr 2019, 05:05
Hey! I finally got it to work. I used firefox's private tab rather than chrome's incognito tab and was able to acess the page. I don't know if that helps or anything.
@yasminehaddi

Does it work if you don't use private/incognito browsing?

It sounds like an adblocking feature is interfering with the page.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid

Return to “Public Suggestion Box”