Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Off-Topic » Public Suggestion Box

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Bringing back the BOTM vote

(Formerly the "Support, Feedback and Forum Announcements" forum.)
Please help us make Online Book Club even better! Please post suggestions, feedback and ideas for new features. Wild brainstorming and potentially 'crazy ideas' are super-strongly encouraged! :)

For new members (or old members who run into an issue), please make a post in this forum asking any questions you have about using the site and how it works that are not answered in the FAQ. Not only are we happy help you, but also we can use your feedback to make the site better for tomorrow's new member! A lot of the instructions throughout the site and answers in the FAQ are there because someone else pointed out that it wasn't clear before.

---

IMPORTANT: The Public Suggestion Box is NOT for discussing issues with the Review Team. If you are a reviewer and need help, please first check the Review Team Page and then if you still need help use the Review Team Support Forum. If you are an author and need help, please first check the Author Dashboard and if that does not resolve your issue use the private contact form. For reference, there is a contact link on every page of the website.

---

To ensure the above procedures are used, posts by new members in the Suggestion Box will be held for moderation.

There are over 240,000 members at OnlineBookClub.org. Following the proper procedures to get help or make suggestions actually helps us help you much faster.

Bringing back the BOTM vote

Post Number:#1 by Amagine
» 08 Sep 2017, 12:58

I've noticed that we don't really do the voting process for the BOTM anymore. I was wondering why it stopped. Maybe somehow we can revamp it and do it again. It'll be great for the community to vote on which books we want to read and discuss next.

Also, it would help to garner more of an interest in the books and get people to actually read the book rather than just reading the sample pages. So is there anyway we can bring back voting for the BOTM?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Amagine's Latest Review: "My Ladybird Story" by Magus Tor
Amagine
Bookshelves Moderator

Favorite Author: James Patterson
Favorite Book: The Summer I Turned Pretty
Currently Reading: Love and Fat-Free Cheese
Bookshelf Size: 714 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Fire HD 7 Tablet
2017 Reading Goal: 400 Books
Goal Completion: 45%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Bringing back the BOTM vote

Post Number:#2 by kandscreeley
» 08 Sep 2017, 13:12

I wonder if there just wasn't enough participation on that. Everyone maybe just voting for their own books? Still, maybe once every there or four months if there was a book of the month that was voted on, that would be cool.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader

Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 111 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 92%

Post Number:#3 by Amagine
» 08 Sep 2017, 17:18

Yeah, if it was stopped because there was no participation then we should bring it back for a trial basis. If no one is taking the time to vote or particularly care about it, then we can just go back to the way it is now.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

Amagine
Bookshelves Moderator

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#4 by hsimone
» 11 Sep 2017, 04:20

I agree on this as well. I used to read every BOTM regardless, but lately I've found myself not interested or invested in the most recent books. Also, I feel the posting contest is making people just say things and not read the books, which seems to defeat the purpose of BOTM and lowers my enjoyment of participating. So, maybe if we did a trial or every couple of months could be a book that the online community would choose, then that would bring back some of the joy BOTM once had (at least for me). Thank you for bringing this up, Amagine!
"Love is patient, love is kind." -1 Corinthians 13:4
hsimone's Latest Review: "Do Not Assume" by Kasey Riley
Publishing Contest ~ 27 Votes ~ View hsimone's Entry
hsimone
Lilimaster of Bookshelves

Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Currently Reading: Hunger: A Memoir of (My) Body
Bookshelf Size: 420 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle Paperwhite
2017 Reading Goal: 120 Books
Goal Completion: 80%

Post Number:#5 by Gingerbo0ks
» 11 Sep 2017, 06:32

I've only been here since April but I agree with hsimone really.
Might be an idea to bring back voting for the BOTM for some of the months? Maybe there's a way so people can't vote for their own as kandscreeley mentioned.
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
Gingerbo0ks's Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Gingerbo0ks

Currently Reading: All the Crooked Saints
Bookshelf Size: 168 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Post Number:#6 by Amagine
» 11 Sep 2017, 10:41

hsimone wrote:I agree on this as well. I used to read every BOTM regardless, but lately I've found myself not interested or invested in the most recent books. Also, I feel the posting contest is making people just say things and not read the books, which seems to defeat the purpose of BOTM and lowers my enjoyment of participating. So, maybe if we did a trial or every couple of months could be a book that the online community would choose, then that would bring back some of the joy BOTM once had (at least for me). Thank you for bringing this up, Amagine!

Thank you for agreeing with me! I haven't really had a strong interest in most of the BOTMS. When I saw the upcoming ones, I wasn't ecstatic at all. Also, I can tell that a lot of people aren't reading the books because they're not really interested in them either.

As Gingerbo0ks and kandscreely were saying, it doesn't have to be every month but every couple of months would be fine. It would make for some lively discussions and a stronger community feeling.

Amagine
Bookshelves Moderator

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#7 by Gingerbo0ks
» 11 Sep 2017, 10:51

I also think it would make discussions more relevant. We could discuss the plot, characters, writing, choices made by the author, the impact of the ending and do on. People can't participate in these if they haven't read the book and the topics in the discussion tend to be too general.
The last couple haven't appealed to me personally, but the next few look good. This is personal opinion though.
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
Gingerbo0ks's Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Gingerbo0ks

Currently Reading: All the Crooked Saints
Bookshelf Size: 168 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Post Number:#8 by Gravy
» 13 Sep 2017, 19:32

I have to agree, even if I understand the reasons for the non-member voted BOTMs. :(
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves

Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Neverwhere
Bookshelf Size: 901 books
2017 Reading Goal: 60 Books
Goal Completion: 93%

Post Number:#9 by klbradley
» 14 Sep 2017, 14:22

hsimone wrote:I agree on this as well. I used to read every BOTM regardless, but lately I've found myself not interested or invested in the most recent books. Also, I feel the posting contest is making people just say things and not read the books, which seems to defeat the purpose of BOTM and lowers my enjoyment of participating. So, maybe if we did a trial or every couple of months could be a book that the online community would choose, then that would bring back some of the joy BOTM once had (at least for me). Thank you for bringing this up, Amagine!

I definitely agree about the posting contest. Although I think it's great to have the discussions growing, it seems that some people are just posting random thoughts to get their count up.
"Every day is Halloween, isn't it? For some of us.. " -Tim Burton
klbradley's Latest Review: "Last Seen" by J L Doucette
klbradley
Bookshelves Moderator

Favorite Book: The Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 259 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab Nook Edition
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 84%

Post Number:#10 by Amagine
» 15 Sep 2017, 19:49

I confess that I would read the BOTM and come up with good discussion questions about it. However,I noticed that others were posting random questions that had nothing to do with the book and it was obvious that they hadn't read the book or put forth any effort. So I stopped putting in too much effort too. I still read the books but it's frustrating when I can tell that I'm one of the few. If more people were actually interested in the books, people would whole-heartedly participate in it. That's why I wish the community can go back to voting for the BOTM. It would make it more fun.

Amagine
Bookshelves Moderator

View Reviewer Page