"Your Shelves" Won't Load

So that we can provide faster and better support, this forum (the "Public Suggestion Box") has been retired. Instead, please send any suggestions you have to us using the official website contact form.

This allows us to streamline our support system so that we can get to your message much faster. Instead of our support staff having to check three different places (support forum, suggestion box, and contact form messages), they know can respond to all message through one method, with that one method being the official website contact form.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

crsz10
Favorite Book: The prince of tides
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crsz10.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

"Your Shelves" Won't Load

Post by crsz10 »

Whenever I click on "Your shelves" through the navigational menu, the page never loads. Sometimes, the page does load but becomes unresponsive and I have to exit the tab. Most definitely, the page becomes unresponsive when I attempt to click on any of the links. I have only been able to add books to the shelves through other links. However, I am unable to actually view.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you. :tiphat:
"Man wonders but God decides
When to kill the Prince of Tides.
"

~ Pat Conroy :character-megaman:
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I just added a book to my Shelf and had no trouble adding it or clicking on its links.

When a book is already on the Shelf, the system won't let you add it anew. Can you give some examples to books you tried to add?
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

I'm having basically the same problem with "YOUR SHELVES" becoming unresponsive when I am attempting to add books. I have been able to add some but for the most part it goes unresponsive regardless of what I am attempting to do such as: add a cover to a book or move a book from one shelf to another.
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Is it all pages on Bookshelves, or just your shelves?

Have you tried accessing them while logged out? Does it work better when you're logged out?

Have you tried to access them with an incognito tab? If so, does it work better?

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
yasminehaddi
Currently Reading: Far from the Madding Crowd
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yasminehaddi.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by yasminehaddi »

Hi, I'm a new member that joined recently (actually just now haha) and I've been having problems with the 'your shelves' tab. The rest of the site works just fine but whenever I try to update my shelves, it won't reload or respond. The page basically freezes and nothing works. I tried closing my browser and reloading the site but nothing seems to work for me. I'm dying to display all the great novels I've read these past years rather than sticking with the same soulless shelves so any help is much appreciated!
Gravy

Post by Gravy »

yasminehaddi wrote: 11 Apr 2019, 13:31 Hi, I'm a new member that joined recently (actually just now haha) and I've been having problems with the 'your shelves' tab. The rest of the site works just fine but whenever I try to update my shelves, it won't reload or respond. The page basically freezes and nothing works. I tried closing my browser and reloading the site but nothing seems to work for me. I'm dying to display all the great novels I've read these past years rather than sticking with the same soulless shelves so any help is much appreciated!
This seems to be an ongoing issue with some members' shelves.
I'll tag @Scott so he sees this.

Meanwhile, have you tried viewing them in an incognito tab? If so, does it still happen?

Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

@yasminehaddi, sorry for the trouble. You mention that the error occurs when you try to update your shelves. Do you mind if I ask you to be even more specific? Like in what sense exactly are you trying to update your shelves?

Can you walk me through step-by-step what you do that creates the problem? The more we can backtrack the steps that lead to the issue, the better.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
yasminehaddi

Post by yasminehaddi »

Thanks for replying! Sorry I wasn't too specific. Basically, everything on the website works fine, it's just that whenever I click on 'Your shelves', the page is stuck loading and I get an error 'Page is unresponsive' after a few minutes. I can still see the page, but I can't click on anything. This has been a problem for over a week now. Mind you, I have tried this on an incognito tab and had similar issues.
yasminehaddi

Post by yasminehaddi »

Hey! I finally got it to work. I used firefox's private tab rather than chrome's incognito tab and was able to acess the page. I don't know if that helps or anything.
Gravy

Post by Gravy »

I'll tag @Scott back in so he sees this. :tiphat:

Scott
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

yasminehaddi wrote: 19 Apr 2019, 05:05 Hey! I finally got it to work. I used firefox's private tab rather than chrome's incognito tab and was able to acess the page. I don't know if that helps or anything.
@yasminehaddi

Does it work if you don't use private/incognito browsing?

It sounds like an adblocking feature is interfering with the page.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

crisleem
Currently Reading: Signs of Life
Bookshelf Size: 813
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crisleem.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by crisleem »

I'm new as well. Did anyone figure this out? Using Chrome. I don't want to use another browser. When going to the 'bookshelves' page the page will load somewhat but all links are unusable. Can't click on anything. Chrome asks if I want to wait on the page and that it is 'unreponsive.' Reading above I see that ad blocker might be an issue. So, I turned it off for this site then reloaded. The cursor now shows as if you can click the links but nothing happens. It returns again to 'unresponsive.' Does the site just not work with Chrome? I can't get past that one page on either my laptop or phone. I can't even see the one book I already downloaded to review. I can still of course read it and post my review...I suppose. But I'd love to actually be able to use the bookshelves. I was hoping there's a feature to add all your books like in goodreads by linking your Amazon account. But I've yet to be able to use it.
crisleem
Currently Reading: Signs of Life
Bookshelf Size: 813
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crisleem.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by crisleem »

I see the same problem happening in Edge...not that I want to use Edge. I want to use Chrome.
Gravy

Post by Gravy »

I will tag @Scott for you.

Hopefully you can provide some helpful info. :tiphat:

Scott
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

crisleem wrote: 04 Jun 2019, 11:12 I'm new as well. Did anyone figure this out? Using Chrome. I don't want to use another browser. When going to the 'bookshelves' page the page will load somewhat but all links are unusable. Can't click on anything. Chrome asks if I want to wait on the page and that it is 'unreponsive.' Reading above I see that ad blocker might be an issue. So, I turned it off for this site then reloaded. The cursor now shows as if you can click the links but nothing happens. It returns again to 'unresponsive.' Does the site just not work with Chrome? I can't get past that one page on either my laptop or phone. I can't even see the one book I already downloaded to review. I can still of course read it and post my review...I suppose. But I'd love to actually be able to use the bookshelves. I was hoping there's a feature to add all your books like in goodreads by linking your Amazon account. But I've yet to be able to use it.
The website works with Chrome but not with adblockers.

The point of having you try a different browser is to help troubleshoot the problem; it's not with the expectation that you will always have to use that browser.

Do all the other pages besides the "Your Shelves" link for you?

What happens if you disable ALL your addons/extensions in your browser? Does it work then?

Return to “Public Suggestion Box (Retired)”