This book is not what you think!

This is the June 2023 Book of the Month discussion forum. Use this forum to discuss the June 2023 Book of the Month, "The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity" by Christian Espinosa
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=487757

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
SWETA SATPATHY
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweta-satpathy.html
Latest Review: Chasing Dragons between Dimensions by Matthew Emmanuel Weinberg

This book is not what you think!

Post by SWETA SATPATHY »

Someone hacked into Linkedin's database in 2021 and sold the personal info of 700 million users. The person went by the name "God User." How do I know this! Does that matter? Can you even trust this post? You can't tell if a post is a post now or propaganda; you can't tell if what the post says is authentic or fake now, and you need to know if the camera on your device is shut off or not when you are reading this! We can't really know stuff now.
I know this because cybersecurity is a weird thing now. It is not so new as artificial intelligence that everyone wants to learn about. Also, it is not so old that it has lost its relevance. What it is, is heavily injected into our lives, so much so that we can lose our bread and butter, our job, our security, lives of our family members, if cybersecurity didn't exist. But I didn't realize how thousands of people are actively working to build a cyber-secure world. It was about the time when I read this book. The opening statement is one to cheer for. The book starts with the same naïve approach of the generation not born in a world with cyber threats. But it goes on to teach why that is irrelevant; you are now in a warzone, and realizing it when it's too late is unacceptable.
This book is not what it looks like at all. This book is not for an average person trying to get into essential cybersecurity or anyone who is a cybersecurity expert. This is no skilling course. This book is a word of advice to responsible people incapable of doing it themselves. If you are responsible for someone's security but don't know how to fight or save them from assault, you hire someone for you. Now being a person who doesn't have the first idea on how to protect someone, how do you judge the new guy? How do you understand that this guy is the right choice? You need someone from inside the field to suggest you a good guy, right? This book is that guy from inside the area. There are aspects of cyber security that you can know the bare minimum of and still make the right choices, and there are people skills you must know a lot about to protect the good stuff you have. I hope this book finds the people who need it and vice versa.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

It seems that this book didn't focus on technical aspects but as a whole. It seems that it teaches ways of handling cybersecurity not just technically but on a broader aspect.
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Tiffy B
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Tiffy B »

The author gives several cause and effect examples throughout the book about cyber security, but the way that he explains things are simplified enough to help the average person become aware of better life and work skills.
Rocky Ellery James Tumbelaka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 260
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rocky-ellery-james-tumbelaka.html
Latest Review: Under Nazi Noses by John Tepper Marlin (Translator), Erik Schaap (Dutch Author)

Post by Rocky Ellery James Tumbelaka »

The bare minimun was what work for me. As someone without knowledge at all in cybersecurity this book really help a lot.
Stephen Christopher 1
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: Photofinish
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephen-christopher-1.html
Latest Review: Sh*t Happens by Gavin L James.
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 44%

Post by Stephen Christopher 1 »

I'm with you 100% on this. The book is so much more than I expected. Cybersecurity is under threat, and this book is eye-opening about that aspect. I like how the book is multilayered, and yes, I know some cyber guys who match the personality that is most described in the book. One of my friends in the industry has issues with communicating with others and found this book extremely helpful.
Donna Walker
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Vitality System
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donna-walker.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Donna Walker »

SWETA SATPATHY wrote: 07 Jun 2023, 07:25 This book is not for an average person trying to get into essential cybersecurity or anyone who is a cybersecurity expert. This is no skilling course. This book is a word of advice to responsible people incapable of doing it themselves.
I completely agree with this statement. It is not a skill-building course and definitely not for cybersecurity experts.
Huini Hellen
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Conversing with Various Entities
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-huini-hellen.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Huini Hellen »

SWETA SATPATHY wrote: 07 Jun 2023, 07:25 Someone hacked into Linkedin's database in 2021 and sold the personal info of 700 million users. The person went by the name "God User." How do I know this! Does that matter? Can you even trust this post? You can't tell if a post is a post now or propaganda; you can't tell if what the post says is authentic or fake now, and you need to know if the camera on your device is shut off or not when you are reading this! We can't really know stuff now.
I know this because cybersecurity is a weird thing now. It is not so new as artificial intelligence that everyone wants to learn about. Also, it is not so old that it has lost its relevance. What it is, is heavily injected into our lives, so much so that we can lose our bread and butter, our job, our security, lives of our family members, if cybersecurity didn't exist. But I didn't realize how thousands of people are actively working to build a cyber-secure world. It was about the time when I read this book. The opening statement is one to cheer for. The book starts with the same naïve approach of the generation not born in a world with cyber threats. But it goes on to teach why that is irrelevant; you are now in a warzone, and realizing it when it's too late is unacceptable.
This book is not what it looks like at all. This book is not for an average person trying to get into essential cybersecurity or anyone who is a cybersecurity expert. This is no skilling course. This book is a word of advice to responsible people incapable of doing it themselves. If you are responsible for someone's security but don't know how to fight or save them from assault, you hire someone for you. Now being a person who doesn't have the first idea on how to protect someone, how do you judge the new guy? How do you understand that this guy is the right choice? You need someone from inside the field to suggest you a good guy, right? This book is that guy from inside the area. There are aspects of cyber security that you can know the bare minimum of and still make the right choices, and there are people skills you must know a lot about to protect the good stuff you have. I hope this book finds the people who need it and vice versa.
In today's connected society, cybersecurity is unquestionably a major issue. The potential privacy issues connected with mobile phones and other smart gadgets are becoming more well-known as a result of their widespread usage. This book asks the proper questions on why we should be worried about being spied on through the camera and microphones of our mobile phones.
The mind adapts and converts to its own purposes the obstacle to our acting. The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way. - Marcus Aurelius
Sofia Monteiro
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sofia-monteiro.html
Latest Review: Impromptu by Reid Hoffman
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Sofia Monteiro »

Definitely agree with this. The book was not what I was expecting, not in a misleading way, as you could clearly feel the author's expertise, but an exciting one. Every day, the general population has access to more and more ways in which cyberspace can be a dangerous place to be in. Not even when your data and personal information is given to a somehow well trusted company such as LinkedIn, as was exemplified above, are we safe. Thus, it makes total sense that people in all areas have to know how to improve matters within Cybersecurity, for professional or personal purposes.
Shanesha Sammerson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 234
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shanesha-sammerson.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak

Post by Shanesha Sammerson »

In my opinion, cybersecurity is generally regarded as a positive force that protects individuals, organizations, and societies from cyber threats. However, it is essential to balance security measures with privacy, ethical considerations, and awareness of their limitations to ensure a well-rounded approach to cybersecurity.
Pauline Parnell
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Beyond the Clouds, the Sky is Blue
Bookshelf Size: 517
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pauline-parnell.html
Latest Review: One Jesus, One Way by The Proving Jesus Group

Post by Pauline Parnell »

Cybersecurity is a very important factor in our daily lives, as most of our activities are either on-line or will soon be on-line. Yet how many of us take the necessary precaution to protect ourselves? Just a few. We need to be constantly reminded that protecting ourselves is our responsibility.
Saima Rahman
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saima-rahman.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Saima Rahman »

I wholeheartedly agree that it is a book of advice. As a person who has limited knowledge of cybersecurity myself, I was surprised and in awe of the matter in the book.
Shelby Ayres
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelby-ayres.html
Latest Review: The Wrong Side of the Room by Norman Mathews

Post by Shelby Ayres »

The book has many causes and effects of cyber security, and the author describes everything so that the average person can understand it.
Lisa8806
Currently Reading: Stolen Remains
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa8806.html
Latest Review: The Smartest Person in the Room by Christian Espinosa

Post by Lisa8806 »

I definitely thought this was going to be a book about how to avoid getting hacked, scammed, etc. The subtitle especially gave me this idea, but I realized it doesn't teach about cybersecurity at all. It tends to talk more about why cybersecurity isn't as effective as it should be; the reason boils down to issues with the people working in the industry.
Jakub Bystrowski
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jakub-bystrowski.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Jakub Bystrowski »

I thought the book was about how to wvoid getting scammed. When I started reading, I was in awe of what i saw. It talks about why cyber security isn't as strong as it sould be. I legut recommend this book to all.
B Sheila Holt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: One Christmas Eve
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-b-sheila-holt.html
Latest Review: Open Heart by Akil Taher

Post by B Sheila Holt »

This book is very interesting and informative. It’s not as complicated as I thought it would be, talking about cybersecurity and how it’s not as strong and as good as it needs to be. How we need to be far more careful with ur online information and privacy than we are. I found the book one that I would want to share with others to help them.

Return to “Discuss "The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity" by Christian Espinosa”