Mary Grace's exit from California

Use this forum to discuss the May 2023 Book of the Month, "Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures" by Catherine A. Pepe
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=551491

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Brian Ruguru
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicroy.html
Latest Review: Sunshine Snow Snowbird by Kenneth Bainey

Mary Grace's exit from California

Post by Brian Ruguru »

After the experiences Donny and Mary Grace had, do you think they would be leave California upon their parents' return from Africa? Do you feel, based on the conclusion, the two would be happier/comfortable living with their grandparents? Did the experiences make the two siblings have a change of heart towards California?
Kavita Shah
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

They would be really reluctant after staying there for 2 years. And if they wish then maybe their parents would let them stay there for a while longer. And eventually they'll all go back to California.
Mary Grace did have a change of heart and Donny was already happy to have a new school and many new friends.
Josephe-Anne
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 488
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

I think Donny and Mary Grace will want to stay in California since meeting the Grandma Gang and making so many new friends. When their parents return from Kenya, they will probably face the same problems as when they were leaving Kansas. They won't want to move away from their grandparents, their school, and their friends.
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
Dauria04
Favorite Book: Daisy Jones and the Six
Currently Reading: The Mark of Athena
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dauria04.html
Latest Review: Musings of an Autistic Mind by Darryl Jefferson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Dauria04 »

I believe that they would try to convince their parents to stay in California, maybe not living in their grandparent's house but somewhere nearby so that they don't lose contact with all their new friends and new school.
"I had no interest in being somebody else's muse.
I am not a muse.
I am the somebody."

-Daisy Jones & The Six, Taylor Jenkins Reid.
Ivy_Nesty28
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivy-nesty28.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Ivy_Nesty28 »

Definitely! They will be reluctant to move from California and their grandparents. But they will not be ready to stay without their parents either. So yes it will be a difficult and emotional experience for them.
Christine Palmer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christine-palmer.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Classic Guide to Optimizing Your Performance and Building Your Best Fast by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Christine Palmer »

After two years, both kids will be settled in school with friends. They most likely will not want to return to their hometown. It will all depend on the church and their parents' jobs.
Leasa Ana Maria
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: The Devil Pulls the Strings
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leasa-ana-maria.html
Latest Review: 28 Disastrous Dates: A (Mostly True) Humourous Memoir by Poppy Mortimer

Post by Leasa Ana Maria »

I believe that they learned to love California, and it would be very hard for them to leave their grandparents.
Akangbe Opeyemi
Favorite Book: Qualify
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akangbe-opeyemi.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Akangbe Opeyemi »

I believe it would be hard for them to leave California. They have come to love the new environment, develop new friendships and become closer to their grandparents. The children are already very happy staying with their grandparents and might find it difficult to choose between going back with their parents and staying back in California.
Chinazo Anozie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 310
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinazo-anozie.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Chinazo Anozie »

Hmm, this is a tough one. I think they would have a difficult time moving back to Kansas. Two years is quite a long time and the book shows that they are already creating roots in California. I'm sure they'd be thrilled to see their parents, but they'll also miss their new friends and the Grandma Gang.
Ogunkoya Mayowa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogunkoya-mayowa.html
Latest Review: Why Did Buffy's Fur Go Flat? by Erin Hill and Dr. Russ Hill

Post by Ogunkoya Mayowa »

Mary and Donny can return to their home upon their parent arrival from Africa, and we can confirm that from all the letters Mary always wrote them that she couldn't wait to get back home. Although, after two years in California, it will not be easy because of the friends she and Donny would have made, they will still love meeting their old friends.
Samantha Barnes 3
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-barnes-3.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Samantha Barnes 3 »

I think Donny and Mary Grace will want to stay in California now that they have made some friends. I think that by the time their parents return from Africa, Donny and Mary Grace will consider California to be home.
Oluwasegun Timothy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluwaseguntimothy.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Oluwasegun Timothy »

It is my conviction that their parents would undertake a persuasive campaign to encourage them to remain in California, seeking an alternative living arrangement nearby rather than their grandparents' house. The intention behind this endeavor would be to ensure they maintain strong ties with their newly formed friendships and their current school, thus avoiding any disruption or loss of connection.
Catherine Radford
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catherine-radford.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by Catherine Radford »

I think they would want to stay - however it definitely would be on trend for them to leave!
Zainab Wasif
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainab-wasif.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by Zainab Wasif »

They would not want to go back from California. Mary Grace and Donny are pampered by their grandparents and everybody around including their teachers so I think it would be difficult to move back after two years!
Laura Helsel Goggin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-helsel-goggin.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Laura Helsel Goggin »

I think by the time two years have passed, Mary Grace and Donny will be settled in California and will not want to leave. Hopefully, the parents will understand how hard this has been on the children, especially Mary Grace, and will make plans to settle in California with their kids. This would be the best decision for the kids. I disagree with the parents leaving the kids with their grandparents for two years to pursue a mission. There are other ways to serve God without being separated from your kids for two years.

Return to “Discuss"Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures" by Catherine A. Pepe”