Should the teachers do this?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2023 Book of the Month, "Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures" by Catherine A. Pepe
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=551491

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Smrithi Arun
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Girl On The Train
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smrithi-arun.html
Latest Review: Derrick of Death by Malvina Lerma
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 6%

Re: Should the teachers do this?

Post by Smrithi Arun »

It sounds like a good idea as long as the child is open to it. Some children may not like the idea of being forced to speak to someone or befriend them. At such a time, communication helps.
Reading is dreaming with open eyes
Abu_Aisha1
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abu-aisha1.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by Abu_Aisha1 »

For me, there is nothing wrong with it. The teacher did that to help the student bond and perhaps, be friends. Again, apparently, it will help new students like Mary Grace quickly acclimatize to the new environment.
Mbali Qalinge
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: He
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbali-qalinge.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by Mbali Qalinge »

Assigning a student to a new kid would be very helpful for the new student as then they have someone to rely on for help when it comes to adjusting to the school. Whether the two students form a friendship is totally up to them and how well they get along.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

A child should be allowed to enter into relationships with other children. However, assigning them a 'friend of the week' is a good idea if they don't show progress! Kudos to the teacher for thinking of this idea!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Savina Visintin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-savina-visintin.html
Latest Review: Love and Resistance by Marie J. Mond

Post by Savina Visintin »

I think this can work, but it depends on the "friend of the week." You have to be lucky enough to find someone you can get along with, otherwise it can become a curse. For this reason, perhaps it is best not to interfere. There is too much responsibility.
Roy Nick
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 323
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roy-nick.html
Latest Review: East of Troost by Ellen Barker

Post by Roy Nick »

Growing up, forced friendships were not a real thing. In fact, I was surprised when the teacher assigned Mary Grace a potential friend I was curious to know if It'd work.
Roy Nick
Currently Reading:

Post by Roy Nick »

Smrithi Arun wrote: 13 May 2023, 13:06 It sounds like a good idea as long as the child is open to it. Some children may not like the idea of being forced to speak to someone or befriend them. At such a time, communication helps.
I agree it helps with communication. Interacting with one person is not the same as conversing with a group of people. You have a fair share of being confident when interacting one-on-one with a single person. I think it was a good idea.
Roy Nick
Currently Reading:

Post by Roy Nick »

Savina V wrote: 19 May 2023, 06:16 I think this can work, but it depends on the "friend of the week." You have to be lucky enough to find someone you can get along with, otherwise it can become a curse. For this reason, perhaps it is best not to interfere. There is too much responsibility.
I know right! Imagine getting a bully as the "friend of the week." This ruins your morale to study, interact, and play with new people. Being a new student can be quite problematic.
Roy Nick
Currently Reading:

Post by Roy Nick »

Brenda Creech wrote: 18 May 2023, 18:00 A child should be allowed to enter into relationships with other children. However, assigning them a 'friend of the week' is a good idea if they don't show progress! Kudos to the teacher for thinking of this idea!
You have to be really lucky to have the "friend of the week" as a kind and genuine person. Otherwise, imagine having communication issues and then landing a bully as the "friend of the week."
Roy Nick
Currently Reading:

Post by Roy Nick »

Abu_Aisha1 wrote: 17 May 2023, 00:12 For me, there is nothing wrong with it. The teacher did that to help the student bond and perhaps, be friends. Again, apparently, it will help new students like Mary Grace quickly acclimatize to the new environment.
True, being assigned a friend may help a new student become acquainted with unfamiliar surroundings. Sounds reasonable that the teacher took such an initiative.
MsH2k
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

I thought it was a brilliant idea to help Donny. It wasn’t clear how old he was, but he was younger than Mary Grace, who was in the 5th grade, and I don’t think younger kids understand the various levels of friendship. Donny’s teacher seemed to be in tune with what the students in her classroom needed, and it certainly made Donny happy. Interestingly, Donny’s closest friends ended up being older kids that shared his interests, not any of the Friends of the Week.

Mary Grace’s teacher was more subtle in how she chose the person to “help Mary Grace find her way around and get settled.” She had a hunch that Penelope and Mary Grace had some things in common, and the girls gradually became friends: they both seemed to open up because of this pairing, and it did not feel rushed or forced.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Rowan The-First
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rowan-the-first.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Rowan The-First »

Starting out in a new school is something that is not so easy and I believe that this was really necessary and teachers should do this to give newbies a quick start in there new environment.
What's the reason for your creation, Who really created you and why. Kind regards, That's Rowan of Islam. :?: :tiphat:
Ivy_Nesty28
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivy-nesty28.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Ivy_Nesty28 »

I think that when a child enters a new school, they will have difficulty adjusting to the new surroundings. So assigning a friend would really help the kids. So I think what the teacher did was right.
ViviVivid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivivivid.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by ViviVivid »

Sometimes, it's hard to go up to other kids and ask them to be your friend when you are in a new setting. A slight help from the teacher is not that bad in this situation. The child may not become friends instantly but at least it will help open up to others.
Omneya Shakeep
Favorite Book: Catching Genesis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-omneya-shakeep.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by Omneya Shakeep »

I think what Mary Grace's teacher did was okay. It's alright to give a small nudge in the right direction, but major interference will mostly cause undesirable outcomes. Children should find friends with whom they feel comfortable and who are compatible with their character. This sharpens their social skills.
"Those who feel grateful, and are eternally generous, experience life at its richest."
Rob White.

Return to “Discuss"Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures" by Catherine A. Pepe”