Should the teachers do this?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2023 Book of the Month, "Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures" by Catherine A. Pepe
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=551491

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Should the teachers do this?

Post by Kavita Shah »

Donny and Mary Grace had different time adjusting in California and school. Mary Grace's teacher made something special for her by assigning a 'Friend of the week'. What do you think about this?
Should friendships be made by teachers for new kids or they should not interfere with the children's friendship?
Patty Allread
Favorite Book: The Problems of Work
Currently Reading: Bird by Bird
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patty-allread.html
Latest Review: Hinduism by Dr Hiro G. Badlani

Post by Patty Allread »

I think this is okay, but I wouldn't call the person a "friend" because it implies a level of relationship that may not be real to the children. I think assigning a "buddy" or "guide" might be better until the student acclimates.
Eleni Antonopoulou
Currently Reading: Assassin's Apprentice
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eleni-antonopoulou.html
Latest Review: Story, Story by Alicia Marsland

Post by Eleni Antonopoulou »

I think a nudge in the right direction will always be helpful for a new kid. I think a welcome party would also be a great idea!
:text-welcomeconfetti:
When you can't beat the odds... Change the game. ๐Ÿ–คโ™•โ €โ €โ €โ €โ €
No mourners. No funerals. ๐Ÿ’ฐ ๐Ÿ—ก๏ธ ๐ŸŽฒ ๐Ÿ’ฃ ๐Ÿฅž ๐Ÿบ
โ €โ €โ €โ €โ €โ €โ €โ €โ €โ €โ €โ €โ €โ €โ €โ €โ €โ €โ €โ €โ €โ €โ €โ €โ €โ €โ €โ €
Carlos Mata Saenz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carlos-mata-saenz.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Carlos Mata Saenz »

I think the use of the word friend is understandable in the context, when you are 5 every colleague at the school is a friend. I think is a good idea.
Shanesha Sammerson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 234
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shanesha-sammerson.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak

Post by Shanesha Sammerson »

While it's natural for teachers to want to help new students settle in and make friends, it's important for them to strike a balance between guidance and interference. Teachers can create a welcoming environment by encouraging classroom activities that foster positive interactions and teamwork, but ultimately, the responsibility of forming friendships should be left to the children themselves.

Interfering too much in children's friendships may actually have a negative impact, as it can create dependency and prevent children from developing social skills and problem-solving abilities on their own. Teachers can provide guidance and support when needed, but ultimately it's important to let children develop and navigate their own social relationships.
Anil G
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anil-g.html
Latest Review: UNEMPLOYABLE by Alysia Edith Silberg

Post by Anil G »

I think for kids, it's okay if teachers do this because when we go to college or higher studies class, no one tells us to be friends. Some might give suggestions so that a weak one be with a strong one to balance and learning purpose. For new kids, if the teacher is making friends on behalf of kids just to make sure they get company or do not feel left out then I agree with it.
A great author communicates to readers through books. - Anil Gupta
Shally Z
Currently Reading: The Happiness Project
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shally-z.html
Latest Review: Things that bite in the Night by Deborah Tant
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Shally Z »

I think it's fine for teachers to introduce the kids to others in the class especially if they're shy. It might even make the classroom more welcoming for them. But whether or not they end up as friends is up to the children. You never know which personalities will blend together and which ones will clash...
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

Shanesha Sammerson wrote: โ†‘07 May 2023, 19:47 While it's natural for teachers to want to help new students settle in and make friends, they need to strike a balance between guidance and interference. Teachers can create a welcoming environment by encouraging classroom activities that foster positive interactions and teamwork, but ultimately, the responsibility of forming friendships should be left to the children themselves.

Interfering too much in children's friendships may actually have a negative impact, as it can create dependency and prevent children from developing social skills and problem-solving abilities on their own. Teachers can provide guidance and support when needed, but ultimately it's important to let children develop and navigate their own social relationships.
I agree with you, Shanesha. Let them make friends and develop their social skills.
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
CrossK
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crossk.html
Latest Review: Re-Making the American Dream by David Vaught

Post by CrossK »

I do not think that friendship is something which can be artificially imposed as it should not be feigned. The teacher should have allowed her to mingle with her mates naturally and in the course of doing that friendships would be formed and blossom.
Rocky Ellery James Tumbelaka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 260
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rocky-ellery-james-tumbelaka.html
Latest Review: Under Nazi Noses by John Tepper Marlin (Translator), Erik Schaap (Dutch Author)

Post by Rocky Ellery James Tumbelaka »

I don't think the teacher made friends for the new kids. I think that the teacher chose a supporter for the new kid to settle down better in the new school. Wether they became friends in the end is wholly up to them. That is my opinion about 'Friend of the week', I guess.
Olivia Bird Whitworth
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olivia-bird-whitworth.html
Latest Review: This May Be Difficult to Read by Claire Rubman

Post by Olivia Bird Whitworth »

Patty Allread wrote: โ†‘07 May 2023, 12:30 I think this is okay, but I wouldn't call the person a "friend" because it implies a level of relationship that may not be real to the children. I think assigning a "buddy" or "guide" might be better until the student acclimates.
This is a great idea! I definitely think teachers should help new students acclimate to the environment if possible. I was pretty shy though, and I don't think I would've wanted someone to be assigned as my buddy. I think a teacher should have specific guidelines to follow for the "buddy," like they just show the new student how to do the assignments that are new or how to get to the bathroom/playground, etc. for the first few days. That way if the student doesn't want to have a "buddy" then they could still be mostly left to their own devices.
Olga Markova
Currently Reading: The Postscript Murders
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olga-markova.html
Latest Review: The DrugTech Trilogy by Marcel Victor Sahade

Post by Olga Markova »

I think it is good for a teacher to ease the bonding by assigning a weekly friend. I think a "friend" is the right title because unlike other roles e.g. guide a "friend" is an equal and not a leader. As long as the teacher does not overdo it and monitors the chemistry between them, it is really helpful I think.
Dauria04
Favorite Book: Daisy Jones and the Six
Currently Reading: The Mark of Athena
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dauria04.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Dauria04 »

I think it is an excellent idea to make the new kid feel welcomed and to erase the awkward stage of taking the first step of talking to someone new. I know I would've appreciated something like this when I was little.
"I had no interest in being somebody else's muse.
I am not a muse.
I am the somebody."

-Daisy Jones & The Six, Taylor Jenkins Reid.
Romeo Aiyabei
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-romeo-aiyabei.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Romeo Aiyabei »

I think it is a good idea but it should be more like a buddy than a "friend" if the buddy becomes friends with the new kid great but I don't think there should be pressure for the new kid to befriend someone randomly assigned to them. It could help too, if the teacher does activities or even a welcome party which could encourage the kids to interact more and help the new kid find someone they will click with.
Sarah Sonbol
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-sonbol.html
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Sarah Sonbol »

I think it's a nice idea. Sometimes, it is hard to blend in a new environment, and a small help or a gesture of kindness would make it much easier to adapt. This does not mean that this "imposed" friendship would last for long if the two characters are totally different, but it would be a good start in the new place.
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June

Return to โ€œDiscuss"Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures" by Catherine A. Pepeโ€