Should the teachers do this?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2023 Book of the Month, "Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures" by Catherine A. Pepe
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=551491

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Jane Honda
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jane-honda.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Re: Should the teachers do this?

Post by Jane Honda »

If the child is finding it difficult to blend in I see nothing bad for the teacher to help find a friend that suits the child, even though it is rare.
Vidhi Adhikari
Currently Reading: True Teryn
Bookshelf Size: 280
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vidhi-adhikari.html
Latest Review: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless by Mitzi Perdue

Post by Vidhi Adhikari »

Shanesha Sammerson wrote: 07 May 2023, 19:47 While it's natural for teachers to want to help new students settle in and make friends, it's important for them to strike a balance between guidance and interference. Teachers can create a welcoming environment by encouraging classroom activities that foster positive interactions and teamwork, but ultimately, the responsibility of forming friendships should be left to the children themselves.

Interfering too much in children's friendships may actually have a negative impact, as it can create dependency and prevent children from developing social skills and problem-solving abilities on their own. Teachers can provide guidance and support when needed, but ultimately it's important to let children develop and navigate their own social relationships.
Agree with you on this. While the teachers can certainly help, a lot of it has to come naturally through children as well.
Jorge Leon Salazar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jorge-leon-salazar.html
Latest Review: The Artificial Intelligence Rights and Responsibilities Act” by Alton Booth

Post by Jorge Leon Salazar »

It would be a good proceeding to help children who have trouble fitting in, but I think that was not the case for Mary Grace. She seemed to be very sociable.
Akangbe Opeyemi
Favorite Book: Qualify
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akangbe-opeyemi.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Akangbe Opeyemi »

I don't think there is a problem with a teacher introducing someone to a new student to develop relationships. Most times, as a new student you will be too shy and feel out of place due to just coming into the new school. Though we can not call them friends just because they related to each other, friendship doesn't come in a day but it helps to build a bridge to longer communication with each other.
Chinazo Anozie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 309
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinazo-anozie.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Chinazo Anozie »

I think it's a good way for a new kid not to feel too alone. I know that feeling of being the new person whether in school or at the office, it's never fun. It's also a great way for them to strike up a friendship, which never hurts.
Ogunkoya Mayowa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogunkoya-mayowa.html
Latest Review: Why Did Buffy's Fur Go Flat? by Erin Hill and Dr. Russ Hill

Post by Ogunkoya Mayowa »

I think assigning a friend to kids can still work, but when it comes to adults, assigning a friend will not be a friend but a helper.
Chimomaebuka Ejimchi
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimomaebuka-ejimchi.html
Latest Review: The Guardians of Earea by E.J. Denman

Post by Chimomaebuka Ejimchi »

I think what the teacher did was right. It's left for the children to determine their relationship with each other. I don't think the child should be pressured into becoming a friend to another kid recommended by the teacher.
Mellino Itz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mellino-itz.html
Latest Review: Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude by Anthony A. Morris

Post by Mellino Itz »

Sometimes kids can find it difficult to bond with other kids and I think it is important teachers help with that. It is their responsibility to ensure that the learning environment is conducive for every pupil or student.
Sam Ibeh
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: The vampires: Sodom and Gomorrah by Levănt DuPrae

Post by Sam Ibeh »

Teachers are supposed to be sensitive to the needs of the kids they teach. I do not think that suggesting a friend for a child who needs it is a bad idea. However, there a lot to consider. First, decisions like this require the consent of a parent or guardian. Secondly, the children must also be seen to be willing to be friends with each other. I do not support imposed friendship.
Caroline Anne Richmond
Currently Reading: The Little Book of Bad Intentions
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caroline-anne-richmond.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Caroline Anne Richmond »

This actually happened to me as a child in primary school. I was asked to look after a girl who was struggling making friends and with some of her classwork. In my experience this was great as we are still friends thirty years later. I imagine it may not always result in success and sometimes pushing people together can cause undue pressure.
Caroline Anne Richmond
Currently Reading: The Little Book of Bad Intentions
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caroline-anne-richmond.html

Post by Caroline Anne Richmond »

This actually happened to me as a child in primary school. I was asked to look after a girl who was struggling making friends and with some of her classwork. In my experience this was great as we are still friends thirty years later. I imagine it may not always result in success and sometimes pushing people together can cause undue pressure.
Dalia Chf
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dalia-chf.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust

Post by Dalia Chf »

Kavita Shah wrote: 07 May 2023, 01:18 Donny and Mary Grace had different time adjusting in California and school. Mary Grace's teacher made something special for her by assigning a 'Friend of the week'. What do you think about this?
Should friendships be made by teachers for new kids or they should not interfere with the children's friendship?
I remember in middle school I was “assigned” to the new guy for a couple of weeks just to catch him up on what we had studied up until he arrived. They never told us we had to be “friends”, but with time we developed a great friendship.
I think the fact that the teacher assigned me to him was a very smart move, because he was very shy and introverted and he would have found it very difficult to make friends in our class.
I think teachers don’t HAVE TO do anything to make the students’ lives easier, but if they do, kudos to them. It’s the humane thing to do
Rosandra Hosein
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 164
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosandra-hosein.html
Latest Review: A Voice from Heaven by Alexander V Girman & Cynthia J Girman

Post by Rosandra Hosein »

Honestly, the idea of a teacher assigning a "Friend of the week" for a new student like Mary Grace can have both positive and negative aspects to consider. On one hand, it can be seen as a helpful initiative by the teacher to facilitate social integration and create a sense of belonging for the new student. This approach may help alleviate some of the initial challenges that come with adjusting to a new environment and making friends.

On the other hand, we can argue that friendships should be allowed to develop naturally without interference from teachers. Creating forced friendships may not necessarily lead to genuine connections or long-term relationships. Children should have the freedom to explore and form relationships based on shared interests, values, and personal compatibility.

Ultimately, the approach taken by teachers may vary depending on the specific circumstances and the needs of the students involved.
Rosandra Hosein
Fredrick Felix Mnjala Maneno
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Of All Faiths & None
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredrick-felix-mnjala-maneno.html

Post by Fredrick Felix Mnjala Maneno »

I think it's a noble gesture. Most children do not know how to integrate in a new surrounding and this can be a good boost in the right direction.
Real courage is when you know you are licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and see it through no matter what! (To kill a Mockingbird - Atticus Finch) Harper Lee.
Ava Marie Williams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ava-marie-williams.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Ava Marie Williams »

Wow, I just read about Mary Grace's teacher assigning a 'Friend of the week' for her in California. 🌟 That's such a sweet gesture! It can be tough for new kids to adjust, especially when it comes to making friends. Having someone designated as a special friend for a week can really help them feel included and supported. Kudos to that teacher for thinking outside the box! 👏👏

Now, I know some people might say that friendships should be left to happen naturally, and I get that perspective too. But hey, sometimes a little nudge in the right direction can go a long way, right? It's all about finding the balance between creating a welcoming environment and giving kids the freedom to form their own connections.

Return to “Discuss"Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures" by Catherine A. Pepe”