What was a scene from the story that you found touching?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2023 Book of the Month, "Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures" by Catherine A. Pepe
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=551491

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Meghan Soderholm
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: The Smartest Person in the Room
Currently Reading: Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 10605
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meghan-soderholm.html
Latest Review: A God-Balanced Life by James Puckett Sr.
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Re: What was a scene from the story that you found touching?

Post by Meghan Soderholm »

The scene that had tears in my eyes was when Mrs. Li gave Donny the lucky #8 marble. I loved how sincere Mrs. Li was toward Donny and how she went out of her way to make him feel special. The only thing I could imagine was the smile on Mary Grace's face, which made me tear up.
“Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift and that is why we call it the present.” - Eleanor Roosevelt
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

Meghan Soderholm wrote: 25 May 2023, 12:12 The scene that had tears in my eyes was when Mrs. Li gave Donny the lucky #8 marble. I loved how sincere Mrs. Li was toward Donny and how she went out of her way to make him feel special. The only thing I could imagine was the smile on Mary Grace's face, which made me tear up.
Oh my, that scene was such a lovefest! :romance-heartstiny: I was impressed that Mary Grace knew what it meant immediately.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Kirsti Friesen wrote: 24 May 2023, 10:47 I think my favorite scene is when the lady from the ice cream stand remembered how to make penguin cones. I really wish I knew what that was, but it sounds so fun. It was super special that she remembered, and it made Donny so happy.
I also loved that she congratulated Donny on what a good teacher he was. She was a compassionate person. 🍦
Rosa Parks
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Omneya Shakeep wrote: 24 May 2023, 03:13
MsH2k wrote: 22 May 2023, 16:37
Mellino Itz wrote: 22 May 2023, 09:45 I was so touched by how Mary Grace tried to be a big sis for the sake of Donny. Holding back tears when she should cry so Donny would be happy. She was just a sweet little girl that deserves all the love in this world.
I also thought it was sweet when Donny came into Mary Grace's room to cheer her up after they got the news, and she let him play with her favorite toys. 🧸 I bet most of the stories in this book were true.
This was my favorite scene too, along with the one when Donny asked Mary Grace to play with him, but she couldn't and promised to do it later. And she actually did when she came back from her friend's house. She didn't just give him words to get him off her back; it was truly touching.
Yes, Mary Grace kept her word. That showed her integrity and how much she respected her brother.
Rosa Parks
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

NicRoy wrote: 25 May 2023, 06:09 I found it sweet when Donny insisted he would have loved Justin as his plus one. The character development was impeccable, and the lessons learned were gratifying.
NicRoy, I agree. The character development was indeed impeccable. It may have happened a little quickly, but it was appropriate given the length of the story. It sounds like they identified what Justin truly needed. He was a different person by the end.
Rosa Parks
Josephe-Anne
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading: Not Fishy Enough
Bookshelf Size: 484
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Philosophy from the Mud by Erik Quisling
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

I also found the airplane scene quite touching. Another sweet moment was when Mrs. Li gave Donny the paper lotus flower and the lucky marble. Donny hugged Mrs. Li and thanked her for the gifts. This scene showed how loving Donny was and how he and Mary Grace had made many new friends since moving to California.
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Josephe-Anne wrote: 27 May 2023, 02:03 I also found the airplane scene quite touching. Another sweet moment was when Mrs. Li gave Donny the paper lotus flower and the lucky marble. Donny hugged Mrs. Li and thanked her for the gifts. This scene showed how loving Donny was and how he and Mary Grace had made many new friends since moving to California.
That's a good point about how they now had new friends in California. It sounds like they found good ones.
Rosa Parks
Chimezie Agbata
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimezie-agbata.html
Latest Review: VROOM! Barry, Kari and the Power Boost! by William G Wilberforce III

Post by Chimezie Agbata »

I so much admired the innocence and the perspective Donny viewed the world. I was so touch by how happy he was when his parents were leaving him and his sister to Africa. He only sees the positive in everything due to his condition.
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Chimezie Agbata wrote: 04 Jun 2023, 19:38 I so much admired the innocence and the perspective Donny viewed the world. I was so touch by how happy he was when his parents were leaving him and his sister to Africa. He only sees the positive in everything due to his condition.
Mary Grace was always looking out for her brother, but I believe Donny's positive outlook (and Krug's :dog: companionship) helped ease her anxiety about the move.
Rosa Parks
Kirsti Friesen
Currently Reading: A wrinkle in time
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsti-friesen.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Kirsti Friesen »

I love when Mary Grace and Donny were talking on her bed and Mary Grace let Donny play with her prized stuffed animals. This was so endearing and touching for me because I have had younger brothers that always wanted to mess with my stuff. I never let them. Mary Grace showed how mature she was by letting him play with them.
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Kirsti Friesen wrote: 06 Jun 2023, 12:16 I love when Mary Grace and Donny were talking on her bed and Mary Grace let Donny play with her prized stuffed animals. This was so endearing and touching for me because I have had younger brothers that always wanted to mess with my stuff. I never let them. Mary Grace showed how mature she was by letting him play with them.
Mary Grace really did stretch herself in that scene. I think it brought their relationship closer--probably more from Mary Grace's perspective than Donny's.
Rosa Parks
Akangbe Opeyemi
Favorite Book: Qualify
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akangbe-opeyemi.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Akangbe Opeyemi »

There are so may situations that I find touching and it is usually revolving around whenever Mary Grace is paying extra attention to her brother. I like the part when Donny was found by Mary Grace due to how attentive she was about him after he went missing. I found how they all did the penguin dance at the zoo.
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Akangbe Opeyemi wrote: 08 Jun 2023, 12:40 There are so may situations that I find touching and it is usually revolving around whenever Mary Grace is paying extra attention to her brother. I like the part when Donny was found by Mary Grace due to how attentive she was about him after he went missing. I found how they all did the penguin dance at the zoo.
The penguin dance was great fun indeed. I loved how they became instant zoo celebrities. :penguin:
Rosa Parks
Chinazo Anozie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinazo-anozie.html
Latest Review: Sex and the Sixty Something Guy by Mr. X

Post by Chinazo Anozie »

Seeing Mary Grace take on responsibility for Donny and always looking out for him was very touching for me. Especially since she was only 10. Her sense of responsibility at such a young age really stood out for me.
Alida Spies
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alida-spies.html
Latest Review: The DrugTech Trilogy by Marcel Victor Sahade
2024 Reading Goal: 100
2024 Goal Completion: 42%

Post by Alida Spies »

I found it very touching that nobody was angry with Donny or rebuked him when he fell asleep on the bus at the zoo. Everyone was looking for him, even strangers had joined in the search. When he was found, everyone was just very happy that he was okay. I've often seen parents overreact when their children have wandered off e.g., in a supermarket, and are then found unharmed.

Return to “Discuss"Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures" by Catherine A. Pepe”