Should the teachers do this?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2023 Book of the Month, "Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures" by Catherine A. Pepe
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=551491

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Re: Should the teachers do this?

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

I believe this is an interesting idea and helps acclimation for the new students. It also teaches the other students to get to know other students and to not just stick with their set groups or clicks.
Josephe-Anne
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 488
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

I believe it was actually Donny who was assigned a "Friend of the Week." Mary Grace's teacher asked Penelope to show Mary Grace around the school. There are pros and cons to this intervention. On the positive side, it helps new students to get adjusted and make new friends more easily. However, some may argue for a "tough love" approach so that the children can develop their social skills and figure things out on their own. If I were a teacher, I might wait a week or two and see if the new student is adjusting well, if not, then I would intervene like the teachers did in this story.
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

This is a thoughtful question and one that doesn't have a definitive answer as it can depend on a variety of factors, such as the age of the children, the specific situation, and the teacher's judgement.

Assigning a 'Friend of the week' can be a wonderful way to help a new student adjust to their environment, particularly if the child is introverted or shy. This approach can make them feel welcomed and help them to start building connections. Furthermore, this can also instill a sense of empathy and compassion in other students, teaching them to be inclusive and welcoming.

However, it's also important to remember that genuine friendships can't be forced. Teachers can certainly create opportunities for friendships to form and provide support, but they should also respect children's autonomy in choosing their friends. Moreover, it's essential for teachers to ensure that such programs don't lead to feelings of exclusion or pressure among the students.
Rodel Barnachea
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: The Unfakeable Code®
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rodel-barnachea.html
Latest Review: An Accessible Iliad by Emer Jackson
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by Rodel Barnachea »

I think this concept is quite good especially for kids since having social interactions, forming bonds with peers, and acquiring fundamental social skills are necessary for children their age. However, I do hope that the children and especially the adults around are more realistic and compassionate in understanding the fact that not every kid would get along and be friends. It is possible that children don't just get along, and there's nothing wrong with that. Let's always remember the upside of this activity: Kids forming bonds with some other kids and learning that being social is fun and important.
Kavita Shah
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

Josephe-Anne wrote: 27 May 2023, 02:51 I believe it was actually Donny who was assigned a "Friend of the Week." Mary Grace's teacher asked Penelope to show Mary Grace around the school. There are pros and cons to this intervention. On the positive side, it helps new students to get adjusted and make new friends more easily. However, some may argue for a "tough love" approach so that the children can develop their social skills and figure things out on their own. If I were a teacher, I might wait a week or two and see if the new student is adjusting well, if not, then I would intervene like the teachers did in this story.
You're correct, I guess I mixed Mary Grace's wish with her being assigned a friend.
Thank you for pointing it out and I really agree with what you've said.
I think making friends comes naturally but some help is always welcome. If we're meant to be friends we'll be and if not then we'll break apart.
Josephe-Anne
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 488
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

Kavita Shah wrote: 28 May 2023, 12:00
Josephe-Anne wrote: 27 May 2023, 02:51 I believe it was actually Donny who was assigned a "Friend of the Week." Mary Grace's teacher asked Penelope to show Mary Grace around the school. There are pros and cons to this intervention. On the positive side, it helps new students to get adjusted and make new friends more easily. However, some may argue for a "tough love" approach so that the children can develop their social skills and figure things out on their own. If I were a teacher, I might wait a week or two and see if the new student is adjusting well, if not, then I would intervene like the teachers did in this story.
You're correct, I guess I mixed Mary Grace's wish with her being assigned a friend.
Thank you for pointing it out and I really agree with what you've said.
I think making friends comes naturally but some help is always welcome. If we're meant to be friends we'll be and if not then we'll break apart.
Yes, indeed. :D
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
Sharill Rasowo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharill-rasowo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sharill Rasowo »

When children are still young, an activity like this would be quite useful. If the teacher makes it a fun activity and not just something imposed on the students, I would think it would be quite successful. As children grow older, it may not be quite as successful.
Leasa Ana Maria
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: The Devil Pulls the Strings
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leasa-ana-maria.html
Latest Review: 28 Disastrous Dates: A (Mostly True) Humourous Memoir by Poppy Mortimer

Post by Leasa Ana Maria »

I found that scene very touching. I like those types of teachers.
OTrain Disene
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flight Quack
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-otrain-disene.html
Latest Review: Mysteries by Graham Wilson

Post by OTrain Disene »

I think it is nice because some kids just don't know how to make friends. It's either they are shy, or they simply just don't know. So when or is a teacher who initiates the relationship, it helps to break that ice, and no one is forced to make the move. But if it doesn't work out, the teacher shouldn't insist because that would be infringing on the kids' lives.
Laney K
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laney-k.html
Latest Review: One If by Carol B Allen
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 44%

Post by Laney K »

I think the word friend is a bit much as true friendships can't be assigned. However, assigning a new student a guide to show them around is a nice idea to help the new student find their way around and adjust.
Laney K
Currently Reading:

Post by Laney K »

Shally Z wrote: 08 May 2023, 06:20 I think it's fine for teachers to introduce the kids to others in the class especially if they're shy. It might even make the classroom more welcoming for them. But whether or not they end up as friends is up to the children. You never know which personalities will blend together and which ones will clash...
I totally agree. Children won't become friends simply by trying to force them to be. But introductions are always helpful!
Laney K
Currently Reading:

Post by Laney K »

Sharill R wrote: 31 May 2023, 02:51 When children are still young, an activity like this would be quite useful. If the teacher makes it a fun activity and not just something imposed on the students, I would think it would be quite successful. As children grow older, it may not be quite as successful.
I agree! If this was tried at a high school or junior high I don't believe it would work out well. But with children that are younger it might depending on the kids.
Hubre De Klerk
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Currently Reading: Forged in Death
Bookshelf Size: 476
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hubre-de-klerk.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B075XP6ZZ4
fav_author_id: 3720

Post by Hubre De Klerk »

I believe it is fitting as it gives the new child the opportunity to bond with someone where she literally knows no one and she feels alone. If a friendship blossoms out of that opportunity, then it had a great result!!
Shally Z
Currently Reading: The Happiness Project
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shally-z.html
Latest Review: Things that bite in the Night by Deborah Tant
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Shally Z »

Laney K wrote: 03 Jun 2023, 06:05
Shally Z wrote: 08 May 2023, 06:20 I think it's fine for teachers to introduce the kids to others in the class especially if they're shy. It might even make the classroom more welcoming for them. But whether or not they end up as friends is up to the children. You never know which personalities will blend together and which ones will clash...
I totally agree. Children won't become friends simply by trying to force them to be. But introductions are always helpful!
I agree with you too Laney - introductions are really good to make you feel more comfortable in a new environment :)
Chimezie Agbata
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimezie-agbata.html
Latest Review: VROOM! Barry, Kari and the Power Boost! by William G Wilberforce III

Post by Chimezie Agbata »

i think its the duty of a teacher to ensure that kids get along with each other in a classroom. This could create friendship amongst them. I think it s a good idea as it would help new kids move along with others instead of feeling left out.

Return to “Discuss"Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures" by Catherine A. Pepe”