Would you have told your parents about the bullying?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2023 Book of the Month, "Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures" by Catherine A. Pepe
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=551491

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Re: Would you have told your parents about the bullying?

Post by MsH2k »

Sharill R wrote: 31 May 2023, 02:44 I would have told my parents as they have always believed what I say. They would also go to bat for me and ensure the situation is resolved. I also think parents would like to be informed if their child is suffering lest something bad happens and they are caught unawares.
Yes, even if there is not a lot they can do about a situation for whatever reason, I think parents ultimately want to be informed about their child's well-being. I'm sure Mary Grace's parents got the full story from the latest member of the Grandma Gang once the case was solved.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
MsChet Cherry
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mschet-cherry.html
Latest Review: Snippets from a Twisted Mind by Sean O’Banion

Post by MsChet Cherry »

It depends on the circumstances. If my parents were away just like in the story, I may not bother them with that, especially since I have my grandparents tackling it.
But, if they were around, I would definitely let them know.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

I would have told my parents for sure. My mother has an amazing way of getting the truth out of me and my siblings. I would have definitely confided in them.
Leasa Ana Maria
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: The Devil Pulls the Strings
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leasa-ana-maria.html
Latest Review: 28 Disastrous Dates: A (Mostly True) Humourous Memoir by Poppy Mortimer

Post by Leasa Ana Maria »

Yes, I would have. I knew my parents were the type to reach out to the school and the other party's parents. If they did something wrong, I was not ashamed to expose them, even if it was in front of everyone.
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Ferdinand_Otieno wrote: 02 Jun 2023, 11:55 I would have told my parents for sure. My mother has an amazing way of getting the truth out of me and my siblings. I would have definitely confided in them.
Mothers do have an amazing way of getting the truth out of their children. It's like having a 6th sense. :)
Rosa Parks
Chimezie Agbata
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimezie-agbata.html
Latest Review: VROOM! Barry, Kari and the Power Boost! by William G Wilberforce III

Post by Chimezie Agbata »

For me, I would definitely tell my parents if that will make them come back to me. I do think no one who have my back in such situation like my parents.
Youngreader720-OluwabukunmiWilliamsOso
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-youngreader720-oluwabukunmiwilliamsoso.html
Latest Review: Swoosh! Shooting the Perfect Shot by Wajeedah Bilal

Post by Youngreader720-OluwabukunmiWilliamsOso »

I have never experienced bullying and cannot know what my exact reaction would have been in Mary Grace's shoes. I'd like to think that I would have told my parents because I usually told them everything growing up.
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Youngreader720-OluwabukunmiWilliamsOso wrote: 05 Jun 2023, 08:32 I have never experienced bullying and cannot know what my exact reaction would have been in Mary Grace's shoes. I'd like to think that I would have told my parents because I usually told them everything growing up.
It is indeed hard to know how you would react when you haven't been in a particular situation. It's easier to avoid issues in a text or email, but even if my grandparents were handling the situation, I would have had a hard time not telling my parents in a phone or video call.
Rosa Parks
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Ms Chet wrote: 02 Jun 2023, 03:10 It depends on the circumstances. If my parents were away just like in the story, I may not bother them with that, especially since I have my grandparents tackling it.
But, if they were around, I would definitely let them know.
Yes, having her parents so far away made her reconsider her initial reaction to tell them. Thankfully, she had caring and responsive grandparents and friends to help her. Who better than the Grandma Gang to help with such a case! :)
Rosa Parks
Theresa Moffitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 295
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-moffitt.html
Latest Review: Royal Gossip by Trisha Goodwin
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 35%

Post by Theresa Moffitt »

its important to have a relationship with your parents or an adult that you feel comfortable discussing difficult issues like this. keeping everything inside can be overwhelming, especially for young people.
Kendal Low
Currently Reading: As Good As Dead
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendal-low.html
Latest Review: Ten Percent by D.L. Bruin

Post by Kendal Low »

I don't think I wouls until it was over so I knew they wouldn't worry. However, if it was really bad I know my mom would be heartbroken that I didn't tell her because I know she'd do everything in her power to help me.
Joy Enny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy-enny.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Joy Enny »

Although I should have, I never did because I didn't feel they could help. I preferred to deal with it my own way which worked sometimes. Parents also need to be more alert to signs of bullying.
Jane Honda
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jane-honda.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Jane Honda »

It actually depends on the relationship between the mum and child and the level of attention. But for me I will tell my mum.
Alice Fu
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: What Every Teen Should Know About Money, Accumulating Wealth and Becoming a Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-fu.html
Latest Review: The Caroler by Liza Martini

Post by Alice Fu »

If it were me, I wouldn't tell my parents about the bullying because I don't really tell them any of my issues that I have socially
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Kendal Low wrote: 07 Jun 2023, 02:18 I don't think I would until it was over so I knew they wouldn't worry. However, if it was really bad I know my mom would be heartbroken that I didn't tell her because I know she'd do everything in her power to help me.
Yes, this seems to have been Mary Grace's dilemma. Her parents did "everything in their power" well by choosing such a capable and attentive couple to care for her and Donny while they were gone. As a parent, sometimes that is the best you can do.
Rosa Parks

Return to “Discuss"Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures" by Catherine A. Pepe”