Would you have told your parents about the bullying?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2023 Book of the Month, "Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures" by Catherine A. Pepe
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=551491

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Would you have told your parents about the bullying?

Post by Amy Luman »

My parents knew without being told. Everyone knew that I was different and that I didn’t really care. Maybe it wasn’t as intense when I was in high school, but we were, for the most part, expected to handle it ourselves.
Omneya Shakeep
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Catching Genesis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-omneya-shakeep.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by Omneya Shakeep »

Kavita Shah wrote: 25 May 2023, 10:27 That's really good if you can tell your parents. They'll always help you and you trust them.
If it was me I might hesitate a little but I would still tell if something like this happened. Not telling will only make the bullying problem big.
That is very true, Kavita. There is no shame in asking for help, especially from our parents.
"Those who feel grateful, and are eternally generous, experience life at its richest."
Rob White.
MsH2k
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

NicRoy wrote: 25 May 2023, 05:59
Kirsti Friesen wrote: 24 May 2023, 10:44 I think I would have told them in a different way. I think the fact that she waited and talked to them in a little more "mature way" showed how she had grown through the process as well. She seems very resentful for her parents going to Africa, so I think that her waiting really showed that she was accepting the change and not taking her anger out on them. I'm glad she deleted the message she was going to send.
I agree. And what would have have the parents done anyway? Fly all the way from Africa to deal with a situation Grandma could solve? Mary Grace was quite a wise girl.
You both raise good points. Deleting the message showed how she was maturing during this experience. I was proud of her too. She always thought of her brother's well-being, but now she was also thinking about her parents' well-being. She saw them as individuals with other circumstances besides caring for her and Donny. It took me a few more years before I realized that. :)
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Josephe-Anne
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 488
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

Growing up as an only child, I was very close to my parents. So, yes, I would have told them if someone was bullying me. I would have felt comfortable speaking to them about it and listening to the advice they had to offer. I don't believe that it shows a lack of maturity to tell your parents what is troubling you.
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Josephe-Anne wrote: 27 May 2023, 02:31 Growing up as an only child, I was very close to my parents. So, yes, I would have told them if someone was bullying me. I would have felt comfortable speaking to them about it and listening to the advice they had to offer. I don't believe that it shows a lack of maturity to tell your parents what is troubling you.
I agree that it is important to tell your parents what is troubling you. In this case, since Mary Grace’s parents were not there with her, I think it showed maturity that she told the adults her parents had entrusted to her care, her grandparents, and did not hide it from them. I also thought it showed maturity that she did not send the note with the other guilt-tripping comments that her parents had no answers for.
Rosa Parks
Josephe-Anne
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 488
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

MsH2k wrote: 27 May 2023, 18:26
Josephe-Anne wrote: 27 May 2023, 02:31 Growing up as an only child, I was very close to my parents. So, yes, I would have told them if someone was bullying me. I would have felt comfortable speaking to them about it and listening to the advice they had to offer. I don't believe that it shows a lack of maturity to tell your parents what is troubling you.
I agree that it is important to tell your parents what is troubling you. In this case, since Mary Grace’s parents were not there with her, I think it showed maturity that she told the adults her parents had entrusted to her care, her grandparents, and did not hide it from them. I also thought it showed maturity that she did not send the note with the other guilt-tripping comments that her parents had no answers for.
Ok. I understand what you mean now. Mary Grace was having a tough time accepting the situation, and she said some very hurtful things to her parents before moving to California. She did show maturity by restraining herself when she was tempted to do so again.
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
Ivy_Nesty28
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivy-nesty28.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Ivy_Nesty28 »

I would have said, so yes! For me, I'm really close with my mother, so I would have blurted it out. She would definitely feel bad because of that. If it was me, I would have told first to her, then to Grandma. Then when the Grandma Gang will help me, I will say this to my parents.
Rodel Barnachea
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: The Unfakeable Code®
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rodel-barnachea.html
Latest Review: An Accessible Iliad by Emer Jackson
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by Rodel Barnachea »

It depends on how you want me to interpret your question. If you mean that if I was being bullied and was faced to choose between having to tell my parents or not tell them about the situation I'm in, then I'm not going to tell them that I was being bullied. I know my parents would probably be disappointed in me and just tell me to "man up" when I'm being bullied. The bullying is bad enough, and my parents being unsupportive would just add fuel to the fire.

However, if you mean that if I were specifically in Mary Grace's position in the story, then I would choose to be brave enough to tell my parents about the bullying. Since the Grandma Gang are already helping me, I know that Mary Grace's parents are bound to believe her.
Dauria04
Favorite Book: Daisy Jones and the Six
Currently Reading: The Mark of Athena
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dauria04.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Dauria04 »

I don't think I would have. I actually related to Mary Grace in that scene, I try to solve my problems on my own, and I think I would react like her in a situation like this.
"I had no interest in being somebody else's muse.
I am not a muse.
I am the somebody."

-Daisy Jones & The Six, Taylor Jenkins Reid.
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Rodel Barnachea wrote: 28 May 2023, 06:59 It depends on how you want me to interpret your question. If you mean that if I was being bullied and was faced to choose between having to tell my parents or not tell them about the situation I'm in, then I'm not going to tell them that I was being bullied. I know my parents would probably be disappointed in me and just tell me to "man up" when I'm being bullied. The bullying is bad enough, and my parents being unsupportive would just add fuel to the fire.

However, if you mean that if I were specifically in Mary Grace's position in the story, then I would choose to be brave enough to tell my parents about the bullying. Since the Grandma Gang are already helping me, I know that Mary Grace's parents are bound to believe her.
I actually meant the latter situation, but I understand your “man up” mandate. When I was in middle school and high school, the girls were the ones fighting at school, not the boys. It seemed to be happening mainly in my class. My mother did not want me to feel intimidated, so she told me I had her permission to defend myself physically if anyone touched me. This was an unusual allowance, but my mom was a teacher, and I think she may have known what was possible in my class. It was freeing, and while I certainly did not go looking for a fight, I was prepared. But no one bothered me.
Rosa Parks
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Dauria04 wrote: 28 May 2023, 14:17 I don't think I would have. I actually related to Mary Grace in that scene, I try to solve my problems on my own, and I think I would react like her in a situation like this.
You and she are thoughtful daughters. :romance-heartstiny: Plus, with the Grandma Gang backing her, she couldn't lose!
Rosa Parks
Catalina Isabel
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catalina-isabel.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Catalina Isabel »

I think if it was me, I would have told someone other than my parents such as a close friend. That is just me though, I never wanted to bother my parents as a child/teen. Being the eldest I was usually the one solving other's problems instead.
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Catalina Isabel wrote: 29 May 2023, 03:19 I think if it was me, I would have told someone other than my parents such as a close friend. That is just me though, I never wanted to bother my parents as a child/teen. Being the eldest I was usually the one solving other's problems instead.
I am the eldest too (actually elder--there were only two of us :) ). I bet you could relate to Mary Grace's diligence in caring for her younger brother.
Rosa Parks
Sharill Rasowo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharill-rasowo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sharill Rasowo »

I would have told my parents as they have always believed what I say. They would also go to bat for me and ensure the situation is resolved. I also think parents would like to be informed if their child is suffering lest something bad happens and they are caught unawares.
Catalina Isabel
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catalina-isabel.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Catalina Isabel »

MsH2k wrote: 30 May 2023, 18:40
Catalina Isabel wrote: 29 May 2023, 03:19 I think if it was me, I would have told someone other than my parents such as a close friend. That is just me though, I never wanted to bother my parents as a child/teen. Being the eldest I was usually the one solving other's problems instead.
I am the eldest too (actually elder--there were only two of us :) ). I bet you could relate to Mary Grace's diligence in caring for her younger brother.
Yes definitely! I am the eldest of four girls so the little ones have always come to me for advice etc.

Return to “Discuss"Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures" by Catherine A. Pepe”