Which do you prefer - anthologies or short stories? (Mar '23)

For March 2023, we will be reading anthologies and/or short stories.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Which do you prefer - anthologies or short stories? (Mar '23)

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Do you prefer to read anthologies or short stories? Why?

What makes one better than the other or do you feel the same toward both?

:techie-studyingbrown:
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I prefer short stories versus anthologies. When I read the next chapter of a book, I prefer it to be a continuation of the same story than a completely different tale. Sometimes, I want more of a text if it ends up being too short.
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Patty Allread
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Problems of Work
Currently Reading: Bird by Bird
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patty-allread.html
Latest Review: Hinduism by Dr Hiro G. Badlani

Post by Patty Allread »

My ideal scene is an anthology or collection of short stories! I enjoy short stories because, unlike an entire novel, the author has a brief opportunity to tell a story and bring characterization, scene setting and other elements into it. If the author is a talented writer and storyteller, a short story can strongly impact the reader.

An anthology can be simply a collection of completed work, or it can have only passages of work. I don't often encounter anthologies in my book reading, and I'm not aware of OBC having that category to choose from. I absolutely love short stories, and though there are occasional books of short stories on OBC, they don't have their own category. I thought the reason must be that there are few short story collections, even if written by just one author. I suppose a publisher would be the key operative in the collaboration of several authors in an anthology of stories.
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Patty Allread wrote: 12 Mar 2023, 15:23 My ideal scene is an anthology or collection of short stories! I enjoy short stories because, unlike an entire novel, the author has a brief opportunity to tell a story and bring characterization, scene setting and other elements into it. If the author is a talented writer and storyteller, a short story can strongly impact the reader.

An anthology can be simply a collection of completed work, or it can have only passages of work. I don't often encounter anthologies in my book reading, and I'm not aware of OBC having that category to choose from. I absolutely love short stories, and though there are occasional books of short stories on OBC, they don't have their own category. I thought the reason must be that there are few short story collections, even if written by just one author. I suppose a publisher would be the key operative in the collaboration of several authors in an anthology of stories.
Those are good points! I guess it does depend on the author's ability to write a short story with enough plot and character development to make it worthwhile.

I don't read many anthologies either. If I did, they would be a collection of short stories, but even then I don't think I've read very many. The books discussed here don't have to be exclusively OBC ones. There is one, though, that was featured as BOTD a few months that is a collection of short stories that I started and would like to finish it for this month.

Would you mind sharing a couple of your favorite short stories and/or short story collections here: viewtopic.php?f=282&t=289797 Maybe there will be one that I could try!

Thank you! :tiphat:
Heidi

Jackelyn Olayon Elgario
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jackelyn-olayon-elgario.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Jackelyn Olayon Elgario »

I preferred Short stories.
Tamara Bengesai
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamara-bengesai.html
Latest Review: Seeking... Finding... Healing... by Becky Lu Jackson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Tamara Bengesai »

I prefer short stories. Short stories usually give the author a chance to describe the characters and bring a story to life in short space of time. It's a summary of a story.
Patty Allread
Favorite Book: The Problems of Work
Currently Reading: Bird by Bird
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patty-allread.html
Latest Review: Hinduism by Dr Hiro G. Badlani

Post by Patty Allread »

Would you mind sharing a couple of your favorite short stories and/or short story collections here: viewtopic.php?f=282&t=289797 Maybe there will be one that I could try!
I'm most familiar with classic short stories and haven't read any new ones except the recent book of the day by James Hanna.
Ada Lacey
Currently Reading: The Buried Giant
Bookshelf Size: 37

Post by Ada Lacey »

Patty Allread wrote: 12 Mar 2023, 15:23 My ideal scene is an anthology or collection of short stories! I enjoy short stories because, unlike an entire novel, the author has a brief opportunity to tell a story and bring characterization, scene setting and other elements into it. If the author is a talented writer and storyteller, a short story can strongly impact the reader.

Exact same here! An anthology is a collection of texts. I think the question maybe referred to trilogies/series VS short stories?
I really enjoy short story anthologies. And I think short storie,s because of their limited space are so much more challenging to write than novels, for example.

Return to “March 2023 Genre Discussion”