Were there any characters you wish had been developed a bit more?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2023 Book of the Month, "The Magician's Secret" by Charles Townsend
Forum rules
Only people who purchase and read the book can post in this forum. If you purchased the book, please upload a copy of your receipt at:

https://onlinebookclub.org/verify-purch ... ook=536190

If your purchase of a previous Book of the Month was already marked verified, you will already have access to this forum.
J Bishop
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-bishop.html
Latest Review: One Hand Two Hearts by S.K. Alfstad

Were there any characters you wish had been developed a bit more?

Post by J Bishop »

I ask because my favorite character was Grybald. I liked his personality and little eccentricities, like how he would always correct people when they called him Grimbolt. The one thing I wanted more of, though, was backstory for the character to make his arc feel more rounded out. Were there any characters you felt similar about?
Olga Markova
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Postscript Murders
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olga-markova.html
Latest Review: The DrugTech Trilogy by Marcel Victor Sahade

Post by Olga Markova »

I would love to have more of Freda, Delvin's rabbit - in the story she is only a mostly caged animal Delvin carries everywhere and protects her from soup bowls and casseroles. But it all being magic everywhere, it would be fun to read what her take was on the events unfolding around her and maybe even her very rabbity advice to Delvin on what he should and should not do - even conspiring with Delvin on his pranks maybe...:)
Laura Ismajli
Currently Reading: Keys to Healthy Communication
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ismajli.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Laura Ismajli »

J Bishop wrote: 21 Mar 2023, 23:21 I ask because my favorite character was Grybald. I liked his personality and little eccentricities, like how he would always correct people when they called him Grimbolt. The one thing I wanted more of, though, was backstory for the character to make his arc feel more rounded out. Were there any characters you felt similar about?
I also loved Grybald! I felt like he had so much potential. Thinking about it though, the only character we really get any backstory on is Delvin. I would also have liked to see why Princess Jarla became so fierce. I think backstories add layers to the characters' decisions, giving us a bit more clarification as to their motivations. I think Grybald certainly would have been an awesome character to learn more about!
Amy Toria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-tor.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Amy Toria »

I think the author did well in character development. However, sometimes I wish I could get more from Freda. A bit more concentration and action in Freda's role would have made a lot of difference and this will give a unique touch to the storyline.
“So please, oh please, we beg, we pray, go throw your TV set away, and in its place you can install a lovely bookshelf on the wall.”

Roald Dahl
Francis Ignacio
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimaobi-ignatius-egenti.html
Latest Review: Jack by J.S.Parker

Post by Francis Ignacio »

For me it'll be Borlock. Even though he died in the course of the story, I'd have wished that more background story was given of him. He was my favourite character in the book.
Latest Review: Jack by J.S.Parker
Jakub Bystrowski
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jakub-bystrowski.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Jakub Bystrowski »

It is a coin toss betweek Borlock and Jarla for me. I would have to go with Jarla as she had so much untapped potential. I believe the author has great plans for her in the subsequent books.
Abdul-Malik Hassan
Favorite Author: Linnea Tanner
Currently Reading: How to jumpstart your faith in 21 days!
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abdul-malik-hassan.html
Latest Review: “Wisdom Of The Men” by Clint Arthur
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 79732

Post by Abdul-Malik Hassan »

I like Delvin's encounter with Princess Jarla. Those are two of my favorite characters. As far as character development is concerned, I think Grybald could have played a bigger role. His character had so much potential in the storyline.
Ekaete Bruno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekaete-bruno.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick

Post by Ekaete Bruno »

Mine would most definitely by Borlock. I didn't feel like he needed to die like that. I wished he had stayed longer before dieing and ghat we got to see more of him.
Abiodunakinola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abiodunakinola.html
Latest Review: Mystery in the Metaverse by Nick Airus

Post by Abiodunakinola »

Sincerely, the author did well in characters development, but I felt Grybald need a little inprovement.
Ophiohonren Hiram
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Hate U Give
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ophiohonren-hiram.html
Latest Review: Symposium of the Reaper by Andrew Adams

Post by Ophiohonren Hiram »

I think that characters like Grimbolt and Borlock would have had really interesting developments, but I can't help but feel as though they could steal the protagonist spotlight.
Allison Beard Vion
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allison-beard-vion.html
Latest Review: Launchpad Republic by Howard Wolk and John Landry

Post by Allison Beard Vion »

Yes! I agree with you about Grimbolt, though I thought in terms of character quirks he was one of the better developed characters. I could really get a sense of his personality and his responses always felt authentic.

I honestly wish all of the characters had been developed more, especially Delvin. As the main character I felt he fell short. He was a sweet, optimistic chap but, beyond that, pretty drab. Perhaps I wish he would have been more thoughtful and intelligent. He always felt a step behind, and not in the way that books often make you, as the reader, feel a step ahead. It’s not that I felt a step ahead, it’s that he felt behind - like he was just a leave on the surface of a swift stream. It made me feel disappointed consistently, and in the end a little bored.
Carlos Mata Saenz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carlos-mata-saenz.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Carlos Mata Saenz »

J Bishop wrote: 21 Mar 2023, 23:21 I ask because my favorite character was Grybald. I liked his personality and little eccentricities, like how he would always correct people when they called him Grimbolt. The one thing I wanted more of, though, was backstory for the character to make his arc feel more rounded out. Were there any characters you felt similar about?
I agree 100%. And I really hope it will happen in a future. It's the kind of character that could also have its own book.
Oceegee Chika Oroke
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oceegee-chika-oroke.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Oceegee Chika Oroke »

Yeah, I did feel Delvin was developed to meet certain personal comditions and taste of mine. And just right now, you just brought my attention to the character Grybald. I like Grybald's personality, and I think I have similar expectations from him as you.
Park Cherri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-park-cherri.html
Latest Review: The Eavesdropper by Peter Wise

Post by Park Cherri »

Like you just said, Grimbolt seemed to be a minor character. I would have loved that the author fully developed Fionella. She was displayed as a pretty damsel in distress. We didn’t know where she came from and all of that. She was just part of the team.
Flourish Sunday
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flourish-sunday.html
Latest Review: 9 Rules to Dominate Your Money and Learn What 67% of Adults Don’t Know by Finley Lewis

Post by Flourish Sunday »

I like how Delvin meets Princess Jarla. Two of my favorite characters are those two. In terms of character growth, I believe Grybald might have had a bigger part. His potential as a character in the plot was enormous.

Return to “Discuss "The Magician's Secret" by Charles Townsend”