Kindle ads - Pay 30-50 bucks or see ads?

Use this forum to discuss the Amazon's Kindle. This is the forum for you if you are deciding whether or not to buy a Kindle, deciding which Kindle to buy, or you already have a Kindle and need help doing something on it, need support or otherwise just want to talk about Kindles.

Would you rather pay more or see ads?

I have a Kindle and I chose the ad-free version.
31%
I have a Kindle and I chose the discount version with ads.
46%
I do not have a Kindle but I would prefer to pay $30-$50 more to not have ads.
6%
I do not have a Kindle but I would prefer to save $30-$50 and have ads.
17%

Total votes: 54

Ailla
Currently Reading: Grapes of Wrath
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ailla.html

Re: Kindle ads - Pay 30-50 bucks or see ads?

Post by Ailla »

Ads can be annoying, but Amazon wants you to buy their Kindle. Because they want you to buy they'll make it so that the ads do not interrupt your (their customer's) reading experience. I have a Kindle with ads. They only show when my Kindle is off and they're normally books that are on sale or something similar. One thing that I would take into account is whether or not you are an extreme impulse buyer as the ads might make you spend more. It's a personal choice.
viktbloggerskan
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-viktbloggerskan.html

Post by viktbloggerskan »

I don't own a Kindle yet (use my iPad with Kindle app) but am considering buying a real Kindle because it seems "sturdier" and more convenient when going to the beach for example. Herein Sweden we can buy both the ad-free and the ad version but I really don't know which one to get. If the ads only appear on the screensaver I guess they wouldn't bother me that much...
Ailla
Currently Reading: Grapes of Wrath
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ailla.html

Post by Ailla »

viktbloggerskan wrote:I don't own a Kindle yet (use my iPad with Kindle app) but am considering buying a real Kindle because it seems "sturdier" and more convenient when going to the beach for example. Herein Sweden we can buy both the ad-free and the ad version but I really don't know which one to get. If the ads only appear on the screensaver I guess they wouldn't bother me that much...
One really neat thing about having the ads as your screen saver is that you have exactly that a screensaver something to look at. I personally love some of the pictures that pop up if they are not having any sales because I've learned things about people I never would have known about otherwise. Kind of like when Google has their image set on famous people, either birthday or invention date. It's pretty neat.
asterdeaux
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asterdeaux.html

Post by asterdeaux »

I did not pay to remove the adds from my kindle fire. I didn't even know that was an option. I don't use it enough for them to bother me so I don't think I would have done anything different.
Gotta Book
Favorite Book: The Nickel Boys
Currently Reading: Godshot
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gotta-book.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B07X4GF8HS

Post by Gotta Book »

I have a Fire now and I don't think even now it is an option but it was an option on my basic kindle (that my husband uses now). I went cheap and got the ads. But neither one of us connects to the wifi so we never see them (and that way if you go a few days over on your library book or a lending book you still have it to read).
Catbook
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Catbook »

I think ads would not bother me in a sense I would be to focused on reading
Gotta Book
Favorite Book: The Nickel Boys
Currently Reading: Godshot
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gotta-book.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B07X4GF8HS

Post by Gotta Book »

You cannot see the ads while you are reading, it is only when you start up the kindle. And they are very small and unnoticeable, IMO.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

We got ours with the ads. Definitely worth the savings! There are only ads when the screen is unlocked, and to be honest, sometimes they're ads for things I end up being happy I saw an ad for! When they're not, they're not obscene or bad at all, and it doesn't slow down use or make unlocking any less easy. Totally a great way to save some cash :D
cmh627
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cmh627.html

Post by cmh627 »

The ads don't really bother me, they only come up when I turn my Kindle on or off.
offorsobianco
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-offorsobianco.html

Post by offorsobianco »

Uh-uh. If I'm buying a product, I rather not get the ads with it. These days whatever tablet or reader you buy, you HAVE to use their apps. Isn't that enough?
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

offorsobianco wrote:Uh-uh. If I'm buying a product, I rather not get the ads with it. These days whatever tablet or reader you buy, you HAVE to use their apps. Isn't that enough?
Sure, but $30-$50 is a lot of books :D Or apps... Or card packs in Hearthstone ;)

If the ads were intrusive, and I was working right now, I totally agree - if you're going to own something for years, and/or use it frequently, it's absolutely worth it to get the better version (we sprung for $20 extra on the version with more hard drive space). We just got lucky that, in this case, the ads are incredibly un-annoying (unlike, say, free internet ads back with dial up... Ugh... That was SO awful... Or not spending 99 cents on an app)
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
Tigger0719
Currently Reading: Elixir
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tigger0719.html

Post by Tigger0719 »

The ads are no problem for me. I only see them when I first turn on my Kindle. Almost like a screen saver. I'm happy to have that extra cash to spend on more books.
gatorgirl_823
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gatorgirl-823.html
Latest Review: "Slam" by Tash McAdam

Post by gatorgirl_823 »

I have a Kindle Fire HD and it does have the "special offers" on it. I don't find it distracting at all, they just show up on the main screen and once you swipe to your home screen, the ads are gone. It was worth it to me to get the "ads" Kindle and get a slight discount on price.
Latest Review: "Slam" by Tash McAdam
geno0157
Favorite Author: John Grisham
Currently Reading: Too Many Crooks Spoil the Broth
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geno0157.html
fav_author_id: 2455

Post by geno0157 »

I don't recall being given the option of ads or no ads. I've had mine for a few years so maybe it wasn't available at the time. I do not get any ads on mine. If given the option, I would save the money and gets the ads. I'm frugal that way. :D
kasi1215
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasi1215.html
Latest Review: "To Gen X, Baby Boomers and Millennials, with Love" by Francis T. Sganga

Post by kasi1215 »

I have the Kindle Paperwhite with ads. I really don't mind them and some times I actually end up getting the book or product they are suggesting.

This is a very interesting offer Amazon makes - Amazon is going to take over the world.
Latest Review: "To Gen X, Baby Boomers and Millennials, with Love" by Francis T. Sganga

Return to “Kindle Discussion and Support”