Kindle books are now available at some libraries!

Use this forum to discuss the Amazon's Kindle. This is the forum for you if you are deciding whether or not to buy a Kindle, deciding which Kindle to buy, or you already have a Kindle and need help doing something on it, need support or otherwise just want to talk about Kindles.
robfarren
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Kindle books are now available at some libraries!

Post by robfarren »

this is such an awesome thing! i have been borrowing books on my sony reader now for a while!
A24

Post by A24 »

Kindle versions of e-books are now available at my local library, but it seems the selection is very limited so far. The few I've tried to get aren't even out there. I have a few downloaded from Amazon that will keep me busy for a while. Not to mention, all the paper and hardback books on my TBR pile!
“The Bible is worth all the other books which have ever been printed.”
~Patrick Henry
Paulsoninvest

Post by Paulsoninvest »

wow. It's realy cool. kindle in libraries
RHYW

Post by RHYW »

ReadHowYouWant an online bookstore provides ePub for iPad, Kindle and mobi pocket reader.
DaveOl

Post by DaveOl »

I have the aforementioned e-reader also. When I look at the books available at the internet store I use they usually give you an option to download a sample of the book. I have done it a number or times. It is usually the first 20 or so pages of the book. It's a great option and it's free.
Elainegr9
Favorite Author: Nicholas Sparks
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elainegr9.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 2460

Post by Elainegr9 »

That is wonderful. Who knew technology would go so far. I love the kindle my friend bought the Kindle fire but I am still adjusting to the regular one. I am going to have to check out my library about this.
KrystenRB

Post by KrystenRB »

i wonder if they do it at my public library how would i find out?
Maud Fitch
Favorite Author: Jasper Fforde
Favorite Book: The Eyre Affair
fav_author_id: 4856

Post by Maud Fitch »

In Australia you can download free e-books from most public libraries and read them on most devices. If this is available in other countries, the quickest way to find out is to log on to a local library website and browse through
their catalogue.
"Every story has three sides to it - yours, mine and the facts" Foster Meharny Russell
Kenile
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenile.html

Post by Kenile »

That sounds fantastic! I will have to check that out! Thanks for the post!
jlynn810
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jlynn810.html

Post by jlynn810 »

I have the Kindle Fire and just an Android Tablet with the Kindle App downloaded I was able to go to my local library get a card and they gave me a booklet on how to use the Kindle App online to rent from the library. LOVE IT!!! Free is GOOD!!
TJsSweetHome

Post by TJsSweetHome »

That's great to know! Although I love visiting the library I have gotten away from going lately. I'm sure a lot has changed, lol! I will have to let my hubby know about that for his Kindle. Thanks for the heads up!~TJ
MelStokes

Post by MelStokes »

Does the library include only the free kindle books? Or are the kindle books normally for purchase available to check out as well?
booklvr62
Favorite Author: Richard Preston many
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... >Dandelion Wine</a>
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by booklvr62 »

MelStokes wrote:Does the library include only the free kindle books? Or are the kindle books normally for purchase available to check out as well?

No they are not Kindle Freebies. The libray has regular and top seller-list books in Kindle Edition, and more and more are becoming available all the time. Don't forget to click on "I'd like to read this book on Kindle" when looking at a book for reviews at Amazon when you notice that it doesn't have that edition.
I've read several books on Kindle from my library and one I reserved just came in.Also cool is the site 'BookLending' where you can borrow and lend your Kindle books,check it out!
9bit
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: 1984
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by 9bit »

I'm struggling to understand the concept of "renting" eBooks. It baffles me really.

You have to rent physical books because there is a limited supply of them. But eBooks are essentially infinite in number. It's just data. It can be copied forever.

Is it because the library (or someone else) somehow makes money off this renting thing? That I can understand. Gotta make money. But it's just... renting data... it's crazy. :)
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

9bit wrote:I'm struggling to understand the concept of "renting" eBooks. It baffles me really.

You have to rent physical books because there is a limited supply of them. But eBooks are essentially infinite in number. It's just data. It can be copied forever.

Is it because the library (or someone else) somehow makes money off this renting thing? That I can understand. Gotta make money. But it's just... renting data... it's crazy. :)
You have a point but there is still copyright law as it relates to original work .... authors do need to eat occasionally too! It hardly seems fair that someone spends, in some cases, years working on a book to have it copied ad infanitum with no benefit to them. I presume you would like to be paid for your work and so also with authors.
That said IMO publishers are creaming it off & electronic versions should be significantly cheaper given the miminal costs involved in their production and distribution. I also have issues with ownership of a electronic copy of a book. IMO if I have paid for the book (in whatever format), it should be mine to lend but I agree with restrictions on copying it. I also have issues with the length of copyright ... for example James Joyce died in 1941 and yet some of his works only came off copyright in 2011.
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James

Return to “Kindle Discussion and Support”