Does anyone have a kindle?

Use this forum to discuss the Amazon's Kindle. This is the forum for you if you are deciding whether or not to buy a Kindle, deciding which Kindle to buy, or you already have a Kindle and need help doing something on it, need support or otherwise just want to talk about Kindles.
Swathii
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Does anyone have a kindle?

Post by Swathii »

I have a kindle paper white and i love it. Most of my reading now is on kindle only. Make sure you buy Paper white as it is glare free and easy on the eyes. I made a mistake and first bought kindle fire and i got headaches and eye strain just after an hour of reading or so. I then went online and did some research and there were similar stories as mine. Not everyone goes through it but it think Paper White is the best choice.

I love books, the smell of the paper and sometimes when you buy it on a garage sale/second hand then the books come with a lot of memories, notes scribbled here and there. It feels wonderful. But kindle is practical and easy for travel and can store tons of books. Right now for me kindle has more or less replaced Books.
patrickt

Post by patrickt »

I feel rather foolish posting on a thread that was started almost six years ago but here it is. I waited for years for a standard ereader format so you could buy books from whatever source you wanted. I finally decided I was too old to wait. I am living in Mexico right now and I was tired of reading what I could find instead of what I wanted to read.

I looked at my options with my focus on who gave me the largest selection of books, especially in the genres I enjoyed reading. Kindle was the winner, hands down. At that time, 2009, some of the ereader providers did not serve Mexico.

I've had not regrets. The Kindle devices have matured nicely and my favorite now is the Paperwhite. If the Paperwhite, Voyage, and Oasis were all the same price I'd buy the Paperwhite. It's great to have choices.
papaya12
Currently Reading: Insurgent
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-papaya12.html
Latest Review: Protostar by Braxton A. Cosby
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by papaya12 »

I have a Kindle. I think it's great because since I travel a lot I can bring it and it's like i'm bringing thirty-six books for the weight of one thin paperback book. It doesn't replace the smell and feel of real books though.
Aakaraw
Currently Reading: The Invisible Man
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aakaraw.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Aakaraw »

I have been using the amazon kindle app for quite some time now and am very happy with it. You don't need to buy a separate device, instead just download the kindle app and get reading.
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
Kwilliams91
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwilliams91.html

Post by Kwilliams91 »

My husband purchased me a Kindle Paperwhite for my birthday and I love it! I was constantly carrying books with me or having to leave them at home because I didn't want them to be misplaced. I have two children so I am always carrying extra things, so a book was one more thing I had to keep up with. Not being able to carry my books with me limited my reading to only at home and as all of you know, you want to read more often than that. I am able to fit my Kindle in my small purse and read anywhere now!
Other than loving the pure convenience of the Kindle, there are a few other reasons to love it. Unlimited access to books and ability to read in the dark. I couldn't stand to be on a trip and finish up a book and being left without anything to read before bed to calm down or something to do while the kids are napping. I can easily download a new book and read it instantly, no waiting for shipping.
The only downside I have is not being able to easily share a book. I have a friend who reads actual books and turned me on to some great stories and I could then pass them on to someone else. You can't do that with the Kindle.
For those of you who love the smell of books, I do too, what about the amount of trees required to make the books, just being the devil's advocate.
bruin
Currently Reading: Cracking the Genome
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bruin.html
Latest Review: Havana 1995 -english version- by Ileana Gonzalez Monserrat

Post by bruin »

I have the very first Kindle but do not use it often. I end up using the kindle app on my tablet. I do like that the kindle battery lasts for a very long time. I use it about once a year when I know that I will be on the road, in an out of hotels, for a long trip.
Sparkletime
Currently Reading: The Tombs of Atuan
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparkletime.html
Latest Review: "The Protectors, The First Coming" by Jonathan Gregory Reed

Post by Sparkletime »

I have a first gen kindle fire and I love it. At first I hesitated because I love books in physical form but being able to carry 20 books with me on a trip can be so much better. I never have to worry about finishing a book and having nothing to read and it's light enough I can carry it in my bag and read while waiting on someone.
Latest Review: "The Protectors, The First Coming" by Jonathan Gregory Reed
Missylucy
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Missylucy »

I have a Kindle and have had one since they first came out. They are wonderful, user friendly, instant books.
Since Kindles are fairly cheap now, you could get one and see if you like it. If not, donate it to someone else who couldn't afford a Kindle.
I think that you have to get over the "must feel, hold, mark a book" syndrome and think of it as saving trees, all your books in one place, no shelves and boxes full of books and wondering where on earth you will put one more book. And, if you truly cannot stand it one more day without the smell of a book, go to the library and get your fill for a few hours.
The really best thing that you will get from Amazon Kindle is that you will have instant access to new books or old ones you've been meaning to read. Plus Amazon has programs where you can get free books. It is fantastic.
Take the plunge.
Lonetraveller504
Currently Reading: Urban Tantra
Bookshelf Size: 297
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Lonetraveller504 »

I was hesitant to go the kindle way because I loved the feel of a book in my hands while reading. My job requires a lot of travel and being away from home for weeks at a time. I finally broke down and got the kindle since I got tired of running out of reading material while travelling and how much space they took up in the suitcase. I now love my kindle, having my complete library available to me wherever in the world I am is great and as long as I can get a wifi connection I have easy access to a huge bookstore.
The one thing I dislike is that books with illustrations or graphic novels are almost impossible to enjoy properly.
LauraFC_

Post by LauraFC_ »

I was skeptical about getting a Kindle too, but the thing is that I don't really love books because of its smell, pages or anything like that. I love reading, but I don't love books I just like them. Of course, I do own books (a lot I might say) but I love lending them to friends or family and sometimes they keep them and I am totally okay with that.
The thing is I got a Kindle just to give e-books a try and it's been a great experience, they are cheaper and you are able to read an extract before spending your money on them . Besides, reading in other languages has become a relaxing experience because you can consult a dictonary to understand the meaning of a word in seconds and it doesn't distract you from the plot.
I really enjoy reading on my kindle, but of course it is a matter of tastes
southspain

Post by southspain »

I do and I love it...and I don't feel that I'm cheating on books :)
gurpreetkaur
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
fav_author_id: 26410

Post by gurpreetkaur »

No, I do not have a kindle :( but want to buy it soon . :idea:
shnasko1
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shnasko1.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by shnasko1 »

I have the Kindle app for my Ipod. I have grown out of reading physical books and got accustomed to reading with this app. I love it!
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Laughingsun
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ormwood</a>
Currently Reading: The Plan
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laughingsun.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Laughingsun »

I do love my kindle, but love the feel of a real book too. the problem is my hands don't like the real books as much lol

And as for the comment about kids above... my kids can ask for toys, or whatever and I'll almost always say no. but if they ask for a book, 99% of the time I say YES!! reading is fantastic and I'll support them in any way I can!!
Mtsweni Nelsy
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtsweni-nelsy.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Mtsweni Nelsy »

I do have a Kindle, but would prefer to read a hardcopy.

Return to “Kindle Discussion and Support”