Fire vs Paperwhite

Use this forum to discuss the Amazon's Kindle. This is the forum for you if you are deciding whether or not to buy a Kindle, deciding which Kindle to buy, or you already have a Kindle and need help doing something on it, need support or otherwise just want to talk about Kindles.
Sarah Stoflet
Bookshelf Size: 0

Fire vs Paperwhite

Post by Sarah Stoflet »

In case anyone is wondering, I have had the Kindle Fire HD 7 and the 8, and I now have the Paperwhite. I just wanted to let everyone know which is better, in my opinion.

The 7 and 8 are exactly the same except the 8 is thinner and longer. I dropped my 7 multiple times and it never cracked, but my 8 cracked simply being in my backpack, so make sure to get Some type of protective case. If you like to read in the sun, DO NOT get a fire. You cannot read it, whatsoever. This is much more of an inconvenience than you think. If you are getting this kindle for the purpose of having a tablet, then it is great. It is an all-around tablet. Complete access to the internet, apps to download, it is a fully functioning tablet. Keep in mind, the battery lasts for a couple of days with low use.

The paperwhite... as a major reader, this is the best e-reader I've owned. I LOVE my Paperwhite. I can turn the brightness up in order to read at night, and with the black and white resolution it is not as harmful for your eyes, or I can turn it totally off to read by the pool. It does have access to the internet, but it is kind of laggy and it is kind of hard to get to as it isn't just a button you can press on the main screen. It feels and looks a lot like paper, which I love, but the only thing I wish about the Paperwhite is that it had the feature the fire has where you can see the page fold, the Paperwhite just swipes.

So in the end, it all depends on what your purpose with your kindle is: reading or tablet or both. If you want a tablet or both, get the Fire. If you just want to read, definitely get the Paperwhite.
KottA Bear

Post by KottA Bear »

I personally prefer the kindle fire. I have the fire 7 and I bought a case for it I've had it for a little over 6 months now and it still runs great. I use it for school because the books are way cheaper through Amazon. But I do have some books that I occasionally read for fun. I would like to get a paperweight eventually though just so I have no distractions while reading...
Rya92
Currently Reading: Yesterday
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Rya92 »

I have never liked reading books on electronic devices. My dad has a nook and a tablet with the kindle app and I have the hardest time reading anything on them. I was totally a book in hand type of girl, that is until I saw my aunt's Kindle Paperwhite and I fell in love! I went home and ordered one and am in love. It looks like a real page of a book but, but it is so small and not as bulky as a real book. I take it with me everywhere and have so many books to choose from. I love that it doesn't have the same back light as tablets or other readers or phones have because that makes it difficult for me want to read. You can see the words in any light because you get to turn up or down the brightness as needed to help if your reading in low light or in the bright sun.
simonsayz
Currently Reading: Nightlord: Sunset
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by simonsayz »

I definitely prefer the Kindle. I have the Paperwhite and the Oasis.
The fire is a tablet that is good for watching videos. I do not even browse on it.
I love my Kindles, but Oasis is just expensive. I can't believe that I spent the money on it.
chinaqueen1

Post by chinaqueen1 »

I love the Paperwhite because of it's size and weight. At 73 my wrists and hands are unable to manage the larger, heavier readers. Sometimes even the Paperwhite becomes heavy, so I prop it on one of those pillows made for holding readers and that works wonderfully!
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

simonsayz wrote: 23 Apr 2018, 07:17 I definitely prefer the Kindle. I have the Paperwhite and the Oasis.
The fire is a tablet that is good for watching videos. I do not even browse on it.
I love my Kindles, but Oasis is just expensive. I can't believe that I spent the money on it.
I've never owned an eReader (gasp) until I started reviewing for the bookclub. Previously, as an editor, I always accepted word processor documents so never had a need for a reader. I rewarded myself after my first month's payments with OBC with an Oasis and I really love it!

Reading your comments though, I wonder if I wasted my money getting the newest version... :eusa-think:
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
Shaggy-Reads
Currently Reading: Bound in Flames
Bookshelf Size: 393
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shaggy-reads.html
Latest Review: A Kingdom Forgotten by Charles W. McDonald Jr.

Post by Shaggy-Reads »

I can’t leave home without my fire. I have never had an issue reading outside either. We travel to the beach a few times a year and my fire performs well on the beach. I protect every device we own with screen protection and cases/covers. They are investments so I tend to expect anyone who uses one to be respectful and not mistreat the device. To read outside you need to adjust your settings and then off you go. I have no glare or other issues when outside.
book_worm 101
Currently Reading: See How Small
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-worm-101.html
Latest Review: The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by book_worm 101 »

I never thought I'd enjoy reading e-books, but after I got an offer for a free book on Amazon, my life's never been the same. Don't get me wrong, I still love reading books in print, but now I believe e-books are just so much more convenient. I've never considered getting myself a paperwhite, but after you talked about it like you was the best thing in the world, I might just look into it.
sarahmarlowe
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe »

I love my Fire! When I started looking at e-readers, I considered several. Since I'm a die-hard Amazon customer, I wanted to go with a Kindle product. I decided to go with the Kindle instead of the Paperwhite so that I would be able to check emails and even play a quick game when I wanted. I am very happy with my decision!
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
pastorlarry
Favorite Author: E.E. Isherwood
Currently Reading: First Wave
Bookshelf Size: 37
fav_author_id: 84150

Post by pastorlarry »

I really tried to like the Fire. However, the battery drain was such a huge turn off for me. Of course, I only use such items to read. My son loves his Fire but he also utilizes it to it's fullest potential. I guess it really just depends on how you use it. I DID watch a movie on my Fire ONE time and I did enjoy the experience.
bonniesagastume
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by bonniesagastume »

I have the Kindle Fire 7 and I find that it pulls double duty at my house. I am an avid reader and my 6 year old son has inherited this love. However he has a very short attention span so he can read for a bit and if he gets overly bored can easily switch to some game apps I have downloaded, just for that purpose. It is very durable, I have found, as my son has dropped it multiple times with no damage.
KS the Dreamer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ks-the-dreamer.html
Latest Review: Aluria by Tyler Cook

Post by KS the Dreamer »

I have to admit I love my paperwhite. I know you cant use apps etc, but for me that's part of the appeal. I also find the Paperwhite has no screen glare compared to the Fire which I couldn't read in bright lighting. Also, I like the battery life. The one thing I feel the paperwhite is missing though, is text to speech. When I am driving I usually take the fire and listen to the book as I drive, but that is the only negative on my list.
Latest Review: Aluria by Tyler Cook
nanglada
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nanglada.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by nanglada »

KS the Dreamer wrote: 09 Dec 2018, 10:15 I have to admit I love my paperwhite. I know you cant use apps etc, but for me that's part of the appeal. I also find the Paperwhite has no screen glare compared to the Fire which I couldn't read in bright lighting. Also, I like the battery life. The one thing I feel the paperwhite is missing though, is text to speech. When I am driving I usually take the fire and listen to the book as I drive, but that is the only negative on my list.
I find that not being able to use other apps is what makes the Paperwhite so great. It saves from all the distraction that brings online apps and games and helps me focus on reading, the reason I bought my Kindle in the first place.
Zora C Penter
Currently Reading: Every Ghost Has Its Story
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zora-c-penter.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Zora C Penter »

I currently have a Kindle Fire and have been wanting a Paperwhite. Thank you for the informing comparison!
Chelsey Coles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsey-coles.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chelsey Coles »

Sarah Stoflet wrote: 10 Mar 2018, 19:20 It feels and looks a lot like paper, which I love, but the only thing I wish about the Paperwhite is that it had the feature the fire has where you can see the page fold, the Paperwhite just swipes.
Thank you for your review of the tablet. I am currently heavily considering getting a Paperwhite, but I am SO SAD that it doesn't have the page turn feature! How could they not add it? If I can do it on my smartphone, why not the Paperwhite? Thanks for your insight.
“It's far less important to me to be liked these days than to be understood.” :sad-teareye:
― Lionel Shriver, We Need to Talk About Kevin

Return to “Kindle Discussion and Support”