Kindle Unlimited Subscription, is it worth it?

Use this forum to discuss the Amazon's Kindle. This is the forum for you if you are deciding whether or not to buy a Kindle, deciding which Kindle to buy, or you already have a Kindle and need help doing something on it, need support or otherwise just want to talk about Kindles.
dtb
Currently Reading: A Darker Shade of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dtb.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Kindle Unlimited Subscription, is it worth it?

Post by dtb »

amypattenaude wrote: 28 May 2018, 00:20
dtb wrote: 24 May 2018, 09:09 I have just started a subscription and have no complaints, although I am not using it as much as I thought I would.
That's the same "excuse" I used 5 years ago when I cancelled my cable. :)
LOL. Exactly.
Atharva wadekar
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Atharva wadekar »

I like it tooo
FictionLover
Favorite Book: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictionlover.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by FictionLover »

Shaggy-Reads wrote: 11 May 2018, 13:03 I went this route and still paid for a ton of books. Most of those offered are already free or .99 books. There are a few that are 2-3 and the rare 4-5 dollar books. All in all it is waste of time, energy, and money. Any book you purchase for kindle is available on every device you own and register with the kindle app. With unlimited the books are borrowed so they have to be returned. Why pay for books you never can keep? And why pay for free or cheap books? The most popular books and publishing companies aren’t even part of the plan.
Thanks for your opinion. For me, I don't even prefer reading on a screen, it gives me a headache after awhile. But since joining this group, I have been wondering how to proceed to keep up with all the links to Amazon titles.

I don't like the idea at all, of paying to borrow a book. And a monthly fee to find indie/self pubbed books does not seem like a deal for my reading habits.--I am involved in a local book club which meets at my library, so I am borrowing from them regularly. For Free.
Shaggy-Reads
Currently Reading: Bound in Flames
Bookshelf Size: 393
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shaggy-reads.html
Latest Review: A Kingdom Forgotten by Charles W. McDonald Jr.

Post by Shaggy-Reads »

I visit 4 area libraries for most of my books and even have my name on their new release lists. That is one way I get to read the higher priced books for free. If I really like a book, then I purchase it for my collection. I like real books best but also enjoy the flexibility my kindle gives me when I'm out of the house. I can also get a headache from devices but have learned to adjust my screen brightness and text size for an easier read. I'm glad my information was helpful.
“Choice is always there even when there seems to be none; choose wisely. You are a product of those choices.” :lire4:
Dusamae
Favorite Book: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 116
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dusamae.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Post by Dusamae »

I just signed up for Kindle Unlimited and got 30-free trial. I used to read a lot of books but I was reading faster than my library could keep up so I started buying books. Books are great and I love them but they take up a lot of room, and they are not worth much for resale. I have to many hard back books that I refuse to part with but I have had some that were just not worth keeping.
Kindle has been great for me, so I think I am going to like the unlimited.
Mindy Conahye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindy-conahye.html
Latest Review: WIND by Ellen Dee Davidson

Post by Mindy Conahye »

I was wondering about the kindle unlimited. All of the feedback is very helpful. I love reading and am up for anything that makes it easier to obtain books. Thank you for all the info!
Mac :techie-reference:
chelhack
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelhack.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by chelhack »

Yes, I believe the Kindle Unlimited subscription is worth it. I haven't had much of any problems downloading the books and yes the book that one does download transfers from device to device very easily.
Chelsea N. Hackett
sarahmarlowe
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe »

polar_palm_tree wrote: 17 Mar 2018, 16:00 The other downer is that many of the unlimited books are of lower quality. You will rarely find a new best-seller on the list.
I have also noticed that Unlimited offers several books that are first installments of multi-book series. If you get hooked on a series, you may end up purchasing books anyway.
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
Theresa Moffitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-moffitt.html
Latest Review: Royal Gossip by Trisha Goodwin
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by Theresa Moffitt »

Clinical1 wrote: 08 Mar 2018, 10:35 I can answer this for you. I am an avid reader. I read for work and for pleasure. I owned a nook for several years and found that I was reading on my nook app more than the nook itself. When my husband opened an Amazon account for the 2 day shipping it came with a free month of Kindle Unlimited. I was in love. I am in my 3rd year of membership and cannot count the number of books I have downloaded and read.
I use my kindle app on my phone, MS surface and my laptop. Some books automatically sync, and some do not. When they sync it's awesome, but when they don't it is only a few seconds of inconvenience.
I use the multiple devices totally interchangeable based on my location. In my home office, I typically read work information from the laptop. I use my surface when sitting on the sofa or on a plane, and I use my phone in bed, in the car or doctor's offices, etc.
I often have 2 or 3 books in progress, so that would work well for your children and you. The only downside I would see to sharing your account with the kids is that all users might be able to see all downloaded books. You might want to be careful what you download if you don't want the kids to see what you are reading.
I strongly support kindle unlimited for a reading family.
Have fun with it.
Thank you for the information. It is very helpful I have been trying to decide about kindle unlimited. It’s so hard to decide. This information is very helpful. Thank you for your post
Daylight31
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Daylight31 »

I absolutely believe Kindle Unlimited Subscription is worth. I am constantly falling in love with the books. I read so much it is cheaper to have all those books then going and buying each and every new book I want to read. I also love that you can download several at once so on long road trips or airplane rides you won't run out of books. My whole family uses Kindle Unlimited at it has kids books for my younger siblings.
Mackethan
Currently Reading: The Immune
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Mackethan »

I use mine constantly. I do have the kindle so I read on it almost exclusively. You can turn syncing on or off, so if your kids both want to read the same book, it won't sync across devices to pick up where the other left off. There is a limit of 10 at a time though, so if still in picture books, you may reach that limit quickly (I'm almost always at the limit with my waiting to read list and it's just me as my kids have the free time library). Not sure about sharing with just kindle unlimited, but with the free time, you can pick and choose which books to share with them and all of the books that come with that subscription are kid friendly and age sorted.

Like others said, there is a lot of self published authors and many books do have a few errors in spelling and grammar. I've found many really good books on there that I wouldn't have otherwise read (I enjoy sci-fi and dystopian). I do find most of mine from ads on Facebook, though. I find it hard to find new books on their site.
Rangerkay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rangerkay.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Rangerkay »

I think the real way to determine if it will be better for you or not is to look at how many Kindle books you buy a month. Do you buy 5 or more? With an average of $2.99 per Kindle book, it would be worth it for your family to use the Kindle Unlimited Subscription.

In fact, many authors are moving to this service because we can get a higher amount of royalties from this.

For me, it wasn't worth it at the time that I purchased the service. I was working 50 hours a week and have my writing career on the side. That left me with barely any time to read for pleasure. I did subscribe to it this month to see if now that I'm only working 40 hours it would be worth it for me.
Brandy C
Currently Reading: A Discovery of Witches
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandy-c.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Brandy C »

Hello,

I personally love Kindle Unlimited. It works well for me but I understand it doesn’t work for all! I will give you my pros and cons.

Pros:
I tend to read a couple of books a week so this saves me money.
My 17 year old also uses it for school.
The app is interchangeable with different devices.
Kindle Unlimited has a variety of Genres and Authors.
Cons:
You are only allowed to borrow so many books at one time.
You may not find the specific book your looking for on KU, not all authors allow it.
You do have to pay each month and if you don’t read many books it may not be worth it.

For me the Pros outweigh the Cons! I hope this helps.
mamilla93
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamilla93.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by mamilla93 »

I got the subscription after becoming a member of onlinebookclub and now I have multiple books on it. It is very useful and I am getting a lot for the cost of the subscription. Definitely recommend.
Renu G
Currently Reading: Masters and Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Post by Renu G »

I think it is worth it. I've read several books which otherwise I would not have purchased.

Return to “Kindle Discussion and Support”