Amazon Kindle

Use this forum to discuss the Amazon's Kindle. This is the forum for you if you are deciding whether or not to buy a Kindle, deciding which Kindle to buy, or you already have a Kindle and need help doing something on it, need support or otherwise just want to talk about Kindles.

is the Amazon Kindle worth buying?

yes
86%
no
14%

Total votes: 22

ChrisSamsDad
Bookshelf Size: 0

Amazon Kindle

Post by ChrisSamsDad »

Has anyone got one? What do you think of it? I'm considering buying one now that they're available in the UK, once the connection issues are sorted out. Is it going to be just another gadget I'll use for a short while then stick in the gadget drawer to get bit-rot?

The books do seem to be pretty expensive. You'd think that they would be half the price of a real book, as they don't have to do all that expensive printing, distributing and adding the shop's markup.

Any thoughts welcome.
hartmanr1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hartmanr1.html

Post by hartmanr1 »

I don't find them that expensive and KINDLE has a free books section for you. AND you can, via Amazon, publish your own book on KINDLE and other e-reader formats.
hartmanr1
A24

Post by A24 »

I think the convenience alone makes it worth it. And, yes, there are lots of free books available for the Kindle. Personally, I always check my library first for the actual book (free!). If I really want to read it and cannot wait, then I'll get it on Kindle. It is great for when you travel as you don't have to lug around books. I have the Kindle app on my phone as well and will sometimes continue my book on my phone if I don't have my Kindle with me. My Kindle conveniently "syncs" to where I need to be in the book! Love it!!
“The Bible is worth all the other books which have ever been printed.”
~Patrick Henry
cynde11

Post by cynde11 »

I have a Nook color and love it. I also have the kindle app on my phone but have been considering getting a Kindle Fire for better storage of the free books I get from the internet. Still deciding ..... ?
mcorley
Favorite Author: Jean M. Auel
Favorite Book: The Clan of the Cave Bear
Currently Reading: The Hobbit
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mcorley.html
Latest Review: "The Walker on the Cape" by Mike Martin
fav_author_id: 3709

Post by mcorley »

The kindle is a definitely a good investment to make. Many books are free, and amazon has good deals sometimes on kindle books. Usually the kindle version is at least somewhat cheaper than the actual book itself.
Latest Review: "The Walker on the Cape" by Mike Martin
mississippigirl13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mississippigirl13.html

Post by mississippigirl13 »

I have a Kindle and love it. I can't stay off of it.
mcs1040
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mcs1040.html
Latest Review: "Somewhere Upriver" by Patrick Loafman

Post by mcs1040 »

There are now 3 types I think. Which is the best Amazon Kindle and why?
Latest Review: "Somewhere Upriver" by Patrick Loafman
Totoro
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-totoro.html
Latest Review: "The Crystal Heart Volume 1" by Anthony Swinsinski

Post by Totoro »

mcs1040 wrote:There are now 3 types I think. Which is the best Amazon Kindle and why?
I would strongly suggest going to an electronics store and playing with them a bit. I have both a Kindle 2 and an iPad. I do not like reading on the iPad because of the glare. I have not played with the paperwhite, but I would prefer one with a mat screen.
Latest Review: "The Crystal Heart Volume 1" by Anthony Swinsinski
Tigania
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tigania.html
Latest Review: "The Boy who Lived with Ghosts" by John Mitchell

Post by Tigania »

I have only owned the Kindle Paper White. I really like it! As mentioned, tons of free books (I have over 300 and haven't paid a dime!), it's lightweight, the storage is good, and I don't find any problem with glare or speed of downloading. I love the fact that I can adjust the lighting, and the font size as well.
Latest Review: "The Boy who Lived with Ghosts" by John Mitchell
Gloriannes
Favorite Author: John Lange
Favorite Book: Gor Heart of Darkness Alamut
Currently Reading: Fever and Rise of the red shadow
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gloriannes.html
Latest Review: "Brother Willy's Traveling Salvation Show" by W. Scott Mitchell
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S
fav_author_id: 8763

Post by Gloriannes »

Many uses for a fire, not just reading, Calendar, movies, email, keeping track of my diet, Skype, record lectures, monitor the web cam from bed, keeping kids busy, Text books, music, GPS and reading. I have cut down the amount of junk I carry just by getting a kindle fire.

but best of all...my 12 year old is having a hard time with reading. It's more of a fear still for her she tells me. The teacher and I want her to keep up with everyone in class and has given me the ok to send a old kindle to school with her so she can listen and follow the book. She will do this at home with the text to speech and has great comprehension (knows the story and asks great questions of where it's going) and when I can sit with her and read she enjoys that time too. well it has been a great assistant in getting her excited about reading more.
Jenn+books
Favorite Author: Anne Tyler
Favorite Book: Jane Eyre
Currently Reading: Always a Shakespeare
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenn-books.html
fav_author_id: 6534

Post by Jenn+books »

For me, the Kindle has definitely been worth the money. Kindle books are cheaper generally than print, there are a lot of old books available to buy for free, there are a lot of new books available to borrow for free, and I have been able to rent a lot of academic books on the Kindle that I needed for school for pennies on the dollar of what it would have cost to buy them. I don't buy all my books on Kindle. (Used books are often still the cheapest option.) But the Kindle has been a great option and has saved me a lot of money over the couple of years I've had it.
Gloriannes
Favorite Author: John Lange
Favorite Book: Gor Heart of Darkness Alamut
Currently Reading: Fever and Rise of the red shadow
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gloriannes.html
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S
fav_author_id: 8763

Post by Gloriannes »

Jenn I think I've spent more money but only because I have enjoyed reading again. I love that most of the new writers on amazon have Facebook pages and are so willing to friend and join in conversations. But all in all I love being free of having a book at my side at all times.

my husband has no clue how to turn on the kindle or ipad. I feel sorry for him, I think he will never learn....says he can't find the buttons.
Jenn+books
Favorite Author: Anne Tyler
Favorite Book: Jane Eyre
Currently Reading: Always a Shakespeare
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenn-books.html
fav_author_id: 6534

Post by Jenn+books »

Gloriannes--If your husband won't use your Kindle, then you don't have to worry about him stealing it. More time for you! :)
m_buckner
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-m-buckner.html

Post by m_buckner »

My Kindle Fire was a gift that I would not have purchased for myself. I prefer traditional books. However, I became a quick convert. I use it all the time, but I’m sure I under-utilize the capabilities.
lincolnp

Post by lincolnp »

I love my Kindle :D . I have read and enjoyed many of the free classics - the size of the book is no longer an intimidation. I tend to read 2 or 3 books at the same time... Much easier with a Kindle. I always have another book ready to go...

Return to “Kindle Discussion and Support”