Books from .com version of Amazon for non-.com Amazon users

Use this forum to discuss the Amazon's Kindle. This is the forum for you if you are deciding whether or not to buy a Kindle, deciding which Kindle to buy, or you already have a Kindle and need help doing something on it, need support or otherwise just want to talk about Kindles.
Arrigo_Lupori
Favorite Author: Haruki Murakami
Currently Reading: A Short History of Nearly Everything
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arrigo-lupori.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2566

Re: Books from .com version of Amazon for non-.com Amazon users

Post by Arrigo_Lupori »

Actually, I find every free book of the day that is sponsored on here on Amazon.de (I use that one even though I live in Italy), so it's not a problem for me personally, although I understand the frustration for others.
"The abstract sensation of living a lifestyle that hasn't been fully understood."
- The epitome of taste in living disgrace.
morenikeji100
Currently Reading: Trip to Adele
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by morenikeji100 »

Am also having the same problem here in Nigeria, kindle unlimited isn't working here, I don't know what to do again.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

Well, in my country we have to use Amazon.in, and the BOTDs were free there as well and I could access them directly from the giveaway page link. However, once I made some purchases from Amazon, it took my address (instead of my kindle device as the destination) and afterwards whenever I clicked the link on BOTD page, it showed the book was not available for purchase. When I checked for the book directly in Amazon.in instead of going there through the BOTD page link, I found it was free and was able to download it for kindle app. I'll have to check again tomorrow to confirm this, though.
Omoye+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-omoye.html
Latest Review: Toxic Side Effect by Sandy Magner

Post by Omoye+ »

ayoomisope wrote: 18 Feb 2018, 07:40 The solution provided here don't work for some countries like mine, Nigeria. I guess it's probably a restriction by Amazon. Not sure though. In addition, kindle unlimited doesn't work here.
I am from Nigeria too. I get excited when I receive emails that there is free book available, but when I try to download, I can't download or see any download link on Amazon. The Kindle unlimited is a story for another. It makes me unhappy and make me visit this site less often now, because my review opportunity is critically hindered by the this amazon and KU unavailabity.
va2016
Favorite Book: The Vatican Protocol
Currently Reading: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance
Bookshelf Size: 716
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-va2016.html
Latest Review: The Mystery of the Hidden Cabin by M.E. Hembroff

Post by va2016 »

Hi,

The problem happens only when the book is free at Amazon.com
but not free at other Amazon sites.

One potential solution is for the author/publisher to provide the book
free of cost in the 5 or 6 Amazon country sites in addition to Amazon.com.

A free book is a free book irrespective of which country
the book is downloaded from, so the author/publisher should not
have any problems offering the book for free in all the
sites (except of course the manual work of adding the
book in the other Amazon sites).

I think the above approach is straight-forward and helps.

Transfering the account to Amazon.com may not be a good idea, as the
terms & conditions change from country to country.

My 2 cents.

Thanks.
Juanita700
Currently Reading: Anastasia’s Book of Days
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juanita700.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by Juanita700 »

I have an Amazon.com account and still could not download the book. Thanks for the advice.
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzaila.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Fu Zaila »

What I do is open the book's page on Amazon.com from Onlinebookclub.org links and then change over the URL address from '.com' to my country's URL, for example, from 'Amazon.com' to 'Amazon.in' and keep the rest of the address the same. It shows up options for buying it in my currency. Easy-peasy! :D
"Create your own identity. Let it be unique for yourself yet identifiable for others." :tiphat:
oge123
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oge123.html
Latest Review: Invisible Me by H M Irwing

Post by oge123 »

ayoomisope wrote: 18 Feb 2018, 07:40 The solution provided here don't work for some countries like mine, Nigeria. I guess it's probably a restriction by Amazon. Not sure though. In addition, kindle unlimited doesn't work here.
The Kindle App doesn't work for me too. I am also in Nigeria. It has limited my choices.

Very frustrating.
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayoomisope.html
Latest Review: Absolute Truth by Joab Russo

Post by ayoomisope »

oge123 wrote: 20 Sep 2018, 22:51
The Kindle App doesn't work for me too. I am also in Nigeria. It has limited my choices.

Very frustrating.
Hello. You can get the app from the web directly though. Just search for it. It is, however, unavailable on the playstore.
“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.”
― Charles William Eliot
edith38
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edith38.html
Latest Review: Of Illusions and Ink Spills by Divya Hirani
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by edith38 »

Thank you for the info. I followed the solution provided there and got one step further. Unfortunately, Amazon now tells me that "you attempted to purchase an item while in a different country/region than listed on your Amazon account." After I followed the instructions and added US address. It's frustrating and stilly that they do that with electronic books. The country could not matter at all. Just makes you want to bang your head to the table :S
Clorinda Donovan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clorinda-donovan.html
Latest Review: Please Don't Tell Cooper He's A Dog by Michelle Lander Feinberg

Post by Clorinda Donovan »

Same here, sadly a big majority of the books up for reviews are on kindle unlimited or amazon. Okay now I must run for my life because our master and commander is going to tell me "how off topic I am". :no-spoil:
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.

Confucius
Renu G
Currently Reading: Masters and Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Post by Renu G »

I have an Amazon account in my country with a kindle unlimited subscription. I did not wish to transfer it to amazon.com. So, I just opened another account, transferred it to amazon.com and use it to receive kindle book gift codes and audible book promo codes which won't work in my own country.
skindrukas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 284
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skindrukas.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO

Post by skindrukas »

In the instruction it says:
It will allow you an option to "click here" for other Amazon sites you can shop at, so click on that.
I don't see such option. It only gives me an option to change my address.

The problem is that in order to participate in today's BOTD I must download a free copy from Amazon. I didn't have any trouble doing that so far, only today.

Anyway, I changed my address to US. I used my aunt's address. Unfortunately, Amazon detects that I'm in Lithuania, even though I don't have my GPS on. It says:
you attempted to purchase an item while in a different country/region than listed on your Amazon account
And because of that I can't download today's BOTD. That means I'll lose all my points for participating in BOTD so far. If it was just a few poits, I'd not complain. But 600 is a lot...

Any advice?
The temple bell stops but I still hear the sound coming out of the flowers. --- Matsuo Basho
tanner87cbs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanner87cbs.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by tanner87cbs »

It looks like Amazon has updated its location settings. Now it will say USA (And Everywhere)
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: A Walk Through the Grapes by David Jackson

Post by Honest-reviewer »

Shrabastee wrote: 21 May 2018, 10:24 Well, in my country we have to use Amazon.in, and the BOTDs were free there as well and I could access them directly from the giveaway page link. However, once I made some purchases from Amazon, it took my address (instead of my kindle device as the destination) and afterwards whenever I clicked the link on BOTD page, it showed the book was not available for purchase. When I checked for the book directly in Amazon.in instead of going there through the BOTD page link, I found it was free and was able to download it for kindle app. I'll have to check again tomorrow to confirm this, though.
Hey! How do you leave an Amazon review if you don’t find that book on Amazon.in ??

Return to “Kindle Discussion and Support”