Books from .com version of Amazon for non-.com Amazon users

Use this forum to discuss the Amazon's Kindle. This is the forum for you if you are deciding whether or not to buy a Kindle, deciding which Kindle to buy, or you already have a Kindle and need help doing something on it, need support or otherwise just want to talk about Kindles.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Books from .com version of Amazon for non-.com Amazon users

Post by Scott »

Some countries have a specific version of Amazon that they generally need to use instead of the .com version of Amazon. For instance members in the UK generally need to order from the .co.uk version.

However, I know some members who live in countries like the UK are still able to buy and download Kindle books from the .com version of Amazon. Can those members provide advice on how that is done for other members in a similar situation?

It's unfortunate Amazon chooses to make it so difficult, especially for digital books.

UPDATE (Sep 9, 2016) -- Here is a solution one of our members has provided:
Maggie Stancu wrote:Hey everyone. I'm from Canada and its super inconvenient that you can't easily shop on Amazon.com. However, there is a way to purchase kindle books and the like (other digital purchases, from my understanding) from Amazon.com even if you aren't from the States.

How I did it was I scrolled over my account (at the top right hand corner of the screen), and clicked on Manage Your Content and Devices. Once you click on that, you can go to your content, devices, or settings. Click on settings. Scroll down to Country Settings. It will allow you an option to "click here" for other Amazon sites you can shop at, so click on that. It will then give you a drop down menu explaining where you can shop. For me, it said Amazon.com, and asked me to click learn more, so I did. It will then give you the option to transfer over to Amazon.com :)

I don't know if this will work for other countries but it worked for Canada, and is worth a shot! Hope this helps! :D
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
Booky_BettyC
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 55482">Hex Hall</a>
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booky-bettyc.html
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel

Post by Booky_BettyC »

Good question. I am actually trying to track down the BOTM for September but it says it is unavailable to me for purchase. I'm not sure if it's a country problem or if I'm doing something wrong? Some of the books that are for review come up the same way also.
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Scott wrote:Some countries have a specific version of Amazon that they generally need to use instead of the .com version of Amazon. For instance members in the UK generally need to order from the .co.uk version.

However, I know some members who live in countries like the UK are still able to buy and download Kindle books from the .com version of Amazon. Can those members provide advice on how that is done for other members in a similar situation?

It's unfortunate Amazon chooses to make it so difficult, especially for digital books.
It is unfortunate, and it makes no sense regarding digital books. I live abroad and we don't have an Amazon store here. I opened an account on Amazon USA, and I buy Kindle books from them. I also bought my kindle from them. Still, there is some stuff I am not allowed to buy from them, like certain kinds of kindle covers and so on.

I think that each country can use a specific Amazon location, and one can't go around that. I can't buy kindle books (or kindle for that matter) from Amazon UK for instance, even though I have an account there as well.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Scott
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

I know it is possible because some members have been able to do it. Also, Amazon states it is possible here. But Amazon doesn't explain exactly how to do it.

-- 11 Sep 2016 10:23 am --

Here is a solution one of our members has provided:
Maggie Stancu wrote:Hey everyone. I'm from Canada and its super inconvenient that you can't easily shop on Amazon.com. However, there is a way to purchase kindle books and the like (other digital purchases, from my understanding) from Amazon.com even if you aren't from the States.

How I did it was I scrolled over my account (at the top right hand corner of the screen), and clicked on Manage Your Content and Devices. Once you click on that, you can go to your content, devices, or settings. Click on settings. Scroll down to Country Settings. It will allow you an option to "click here" for other Amazon sites you can shop at, so click on that. It will then give you a drop down menu explaining where you can shop. For me, it said Amazon.com, and asked me to click learn more, so I did. It will then give you the option to transfer over to Amazon.com :)

I don't know if this will work for other countries but it worked for Canada, and is worth a shot! Hope this helps! :D
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

Emma-Louise
Currently Reading: This Savage Song
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emma-louise.html

Post by Emma-Louise »

I followed all these instructions and still could not purchase any of the books. :/
Jeyran Main
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeyran-main.html
Latest Review: "Stalking The Shadows" by BJ Edwards

Post by Jeyran Main »

The instructions are correct. The only problem you may find later is that if you attempt to make any purchases in the future, it will all be in American.
Latest Review: "Stalking The Shadows" by BJ Edwards
vinsam
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by vinsam »

thanks for the god post and information
Laughingsun
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ormwood</a>
Currently Reading: The Plan
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laughingsun.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Laughingsun »

I'm in Canada, thanks for this post, it's very helpful.

Although the last book I 'purchased' for free for review was to be from the .com site, however when I went to the .ca site, it was free as well. If it ever is the case where it's not free at the .ca site, but is at the .com site, I'll use the advice in the first post to see if that works :)
JulieS
Currently Reading:

Post by JulieS »

Hello,

Is there a solution that does not involve switching my kindle between different countries? I am in France and don't wish to switch to US

Thank you in advance ....
gali

Post by gali »

JulieS wrote:Hello,

Is there a solution that does not involve switching my kindle between different countries? I am in France and don't wish to switch to US

I don't think there is another solution.
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
JulieS
Currently Reading:

Post by JulieS »

Hello Gali - thank you. I guess I'll have to give up then. I was looking forward to writing reviews.

Best

Julie
gali

Post by gali »

JulieS wrote:Hello Gali - thank you. I guess I'll have to give up then. I was looking forward to writing reviews.

Best

Julie
Most of the review books can be downloaded directly from the RT page. You could pick only those books.
A retired Admin/Mod

Scott
Site Admin

Post by Scott »

JulieS wrote:Hello,

@JulieS It is not necessary to switch your entire Amazon account to Amazon.com. You can use Amazon.com to get Kindle books and France's website for everything else.

JulieS
Currently Reading:

Post by JulieS »

@JulieS It is not necessary to switch your entire Amazon account to Amazon com. You can use Amazon com to get Kindle books and France's website for everything else.

I understand that I don't need to switch over my entire Amazon account to Amazon com - but I don't want to switch my Kindle account to Amazon com either. I see that you informed Gili about this support topic - however, this topic does not solve my problem.......

I am going to use your contact page to request that you deactivate my account. I can't use this site and I'm very keen to start writing book reviews, so I'll have to search for another review site. But I really do not want to receive any more unpleasant emails from you telling me that I have downloaded a free book when I have done no such thing.
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayoomisope.html
Latest Review: Absolute Truth by Joab Russo

Post by ayoomisope »

The solution provided here don't work for some countries like mine, Nigeria. I guess it's probably a restriction by Amazon. Not sure though. In addition, kindle unlimited doesn't work here.
“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.”
― Charles William Eliot

Return to “Kindle Discussion and Support”