Is the Kindle Paperwhite worth it?

Use this forum to discuss the Amazon's Kindle. This is the forum for you if you are deciding whether or not to buy a Kindle, deciding which Kindle to buy, or you already have a Kindle and need help doing something on it, need support or otherwise just want to talk about Kindles.
DesireeRose
Currently Reading: The Blood of Winter
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desireerose.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Re: Is the Kindle Paperwhite worth it?

Post by DesireeRose »

I love my Paperwhite. It's much easier on your eyes than a normal screen, and it's pretty lightweight. Another thing I love about the Kindle Paperwhite is the fact that there are no distractions. On a normal Kindle, you can access the internet and receive emails and all that glam. It can be quite distracting when you simply want to read a book.

However, I still prefer to read physical books :)
DeborahCupples
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DeborahCupples »

I like Paperwhite for actual reading because it has a non-glare screen.

I like Fire for audio books but I don't read on it because I think that glare screens are bad for your eyes.
sarahmarlowe
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe »

Lauren M wrote: 23 Sep 2016, 16:26 Surprisingly is isn't bright like a phone, but has a soft light that doesn't strain your eyes.
What a very important detail! This could be a selling point for me. I always thought that the Paperwhite would have a glaring white light.
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
sri varshini303041
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sri-varshini303041.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by sri varshini303041 »

I am saving money to buy a kindle. I am from India. there are no service centres from Kindle here. some reviews on Amazon scares me. They claim that their kindle screen was dark when they received it. some just stopped working after 3 months and just wouldn't on.what if my kindle gets sick? how can I fix it without a service centre?
Viewbooksmoney19
Currently Reading: Forgiven
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Viewbooksmoney19 »

I missed an update I think because I didn't see email warnings..... now it doesn't behave, works slow, sometimes can't see pages of books I have downloaded..... and hard to turn on besides
OpinionatedEducator
Currently Reading: Pachinko
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-opinionatededucator.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by OpinionatedEducator »

I've heard the Paperwhite is easier on the eyes.
Louanne Piccolo
Currently Reading: A Judegement in Stone
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-louanne-piccolo.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Louanne Piccolo »

Obviously I don't know what your mom has said, but I have had the Paperwhite since 2014 and I love it.
It's easy and practical to use. It reads like a book asks is small enough to be held in one hand. If my house was burning, it'd be one of the things I grab on the way out.
It's likely I will die next to a pile of things I was meaning to read - Lemony Snicket
nicolelong_
Currently Reading: Cynthia and Dan
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by nicolelong_ »

For me it’s a 100% yes! It’s so simple to use and really convenient to bring around. The battery life is great too :D
Chelsey Coles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsey-coles.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chelsey Coles »

Lauren M wrote: 23 Sep 2016, 16:26 I love my paperwhite! I've had the kindle 2 and 3 versions. Most of the time when I read is at night and being able to have the built in light is amazing. Surprisingly is isn't bright like a phone, but has a soft light that doesn't strain your eyes. I highly recommend it. Even if you are reading during the day, the light is adjustable and can enhance your reading experience.
Thank you for this! I read during the day, & I love to sit on the patio in the afternoon in the sun to read, but the glare on my current tablet sucks! Definitely considering Paperwhite now.
“It's far less important to me to be liked these days than to be understood.” :sad-teareye:
― Lionel Shriver, We Need to Talk About Kevin
Luna0210
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Luna0210 »

I was also wondering about the Kindle Paperwhite. I've been wanting to have a dedicated device for reading. I am glad I saw this forum. Looks like I know what my first Kindle will be.
Maria Esposito
Favorite Book: The Panhandler and the Professional
Currently Reading: Live from Death Row
Bookshelf Size: 438
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-esposito.html
Latest Review: WHY ARE THERE MONKEYS? (and other questions for God) by Brooke Jones

Post by Maria Esposito »

It definitely is! It's very light and has a built-in adjustable light that allows you to read pretty much anywhere you want. Including in the dark, in the sun and in places where you can't adjust external lighting to your liking (for example, in public transportation).
aruntr2001
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aruntr2001.html
Latest Review: Theatre of Racial Conflict by Bunmi Popoola

Post by aruntr2001 »

Does this version support coloured pictures?
docfatima
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19764">The Duke's Holiday</a>
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-docfatima.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by docfatima »

Have been using paperwhitw sixth edition last three years. Just love it.
even miracles take a little time. :angelic-blueglow:
Black Jewel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-black-jewel.html
Latest Review: The Game by Molly Perry

Post by Black Jewel »

I have my older kindle touch, and a gen 7 kindle paperwhite... and I have to tell you, I much prefer the touch over the paperwhite. Biggest reason is battery life. Even with the light all the way off, the battery on the paperwhite dies in about the quarter of the time of my kindle touch. The 'print' on my touch is also quite a bit sharper than the paperwhite, which is extremely fuzzy for some reason.
Kennethvitus
Currently Reading: Chameleons
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Kennethvitus »

Have been using paperwhitw sixth edition last three years. Just love it.

Return to “Kindle Discussion and Support”