Kindle unlimited-If you're thinking of getting it

Use this forum to discuss the Amazon's Kindle. This is the forum for you if you are deciding whether or not to buy a Kindle, deciding which Kindle to buy, or you already have a Kindle and need help doing something on it, need support or otherwise just want to talk about Kindles.
Astr1d
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astr1d.html

Re: Kindle Unlimited Or No?

Post by Astr1d »

I had Kindle Unlimited for the first month, it was free. I don't like it now that I've used it. Not all books are on Kindle Unlimited, and there are some books that are available for a certain period of time. So, if you miss the book ... well, you're just going to have to buy it if you want to read it. Also I noticed, if the book is on unlimited it's usually about 0.99, and I believe that is a AWESOME price for the book. So I decided just to follow these books and authors I love, and just buy them for that great price. I read a lot, but there are also a LOT of books I like to read again. So, I love having them on my Kindle for a later read.
suzanneseidel
Currently Reading: Blind Assassin
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzanneseidel.html
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by suzanneseidel »

I agree with TrisNook. I'm working my way through my TBR list right now and living in the Dominican Republic (the closest public library is over an hour away and has a dismal selection) and so I was excited for another way to get quick access to ebooks. I signed up for the free trial of Kindle Unlimited and then searched 100+ of the books on my TBR list only to find ZERO were included in the Kindle Unlimited selection. I suppose that if you did not have any specific books in mind (which has definitely been my reading style for most of my life) then Kindle Unlimited would be cool. Otherwise it's just frustrating. Praise the Lord for those free trials!

Vermont Reviews - I LOVE Overdrive! If your library participates you can rent a bunch of books and audiobooks for free. You can even put books on hold and renew them and everything. You should be able to just google "Overdrive" or "Download Destination."
Miche11e_is_reading
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Miche11e_is_reading »

Thanks for the review. I've been wondering about KU and don't think I will get it now.
barb429
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barb429.html
Latest Review: "Tears That Changed a Nation" by Charles L. Tucker
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by barb429 »

Thank you so much for the review. I recently signed up for the free month of the Kindle Unlimited, but haven't had the opportunity yet to really try it out. It is helpful to get someone else's perspective on it.
Latest Review: "Tears That Changed a Nation" by Charles L. Tucker
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

I tried it for a month but decided not to renew it. I found that most of the selections that I wanted to try out were available as part of the prime members kindle owners library and that I could them free that way. Or they were available via my library online at no cost to me. I can see trying it out again during a heavy travel month, in which I have more time than normal to read and want easily accessible options.
RosalynJ1986
Currently Reading: The Power of Unlimited Faith
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosalynj1986.html
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by RosalynJ1986 »

I heard that there are better subscription services for Ebooks than Kindle Unlimited, but I haven't tried any of them. I believe that if you are a fast reader it might be worth it, but if not, I'd simply by a few well priced books for the same price as the subscription
LotusX
Currently Reading: Dune
Bookshelf Size: 667
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lotusx.html

Post by LotusX »

What I found it useful for is to be able to flip through things like craft books or cookbooks you're curious about, but aren't sure if it's something you'd buy. I was able to go through several books on crochet and sewing to weed out ones I thought I'd like, but that really weren't very good. Saved me from having to buy and return a lot of books.
marybethkwilliams
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marybethkwilliams.html

Post by marybethkwilliams »

I tried the first month free of Kindle Unlimited. I was disappointed that I was only borrowing the books, not buying them. Also, there was a limited time frame that I could access the books once I had downloaded them before I had to download them again. I unsubscribed after the free month.
thisbeliss
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by thisbeliss »

I'm a huge fan of Kindle Unlimited. As a speedy reader (I can read a book a day, no problem) it really saves me $$$ on books. I enjoy reading for my free time and it helps me justify always wanting to read new books. If your reading pace/usage exceeds the subscription price, it's a great deal! If you like to own your books forever or like to take more time on them, pass it up. They do have the first month free trial, so you can always give it a shot and see if you find it useful. I could literally spend hundreds of dollars on books a month (even with ebooks being cheaper than paper books) if I had the $$$. Kindle Unlimited gives me access to plenty of books without breaking my budget. I'm for it, but it all comes down to what's right for you individually.
BNicholson1181

Post by BNicholson1181 »

Interesting to read your opinions on this subject. I have had Kindle Unlimited for a few months and I'm still trying to decide if it's worth it. I am reading much more, but I wonder about the quality of the books vs those you buy. I find that much of what I read from them is what I would consider light reading.
allorah
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allorah.html

Post by allorah »

As an Apple user, I have found Kindle Unlimited to be a waste of money. The subscription is $10.59/month after taxes, and the "free books" that you are promised are all the books that are actually free for download in the iBook store. The apps are equally user friendly, and you can use iBooks as a download source for some online research papers if you are a student (via "view in iBooks").
Jessimer

Post by Jessimer »

No, for me. I tried Kindle Unlimited for a free trial, and although I found a couple of titles that I enjoyed, I do much better with Bookbub and searching on my own through interests.

I am glad that unlimited works out for so many, it just wasn't worth it for me.
Kmscds27

Post by Kmscds27 »

I'm in the middle of my kindle unlimited free trial. I read so much that I thought it might be worth it. You have some really good points though so I'm still on the fence. I've already read about 10 books in the first 10 days so it may pay for itself. I don't like the fact that I can only have 10 out at a time though. That just be a quirk of mine but when I see a book I like on it I just want to check it out instead I have to put it on my wish list. Which is fine but I'd prefer not to
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

LotusX wrote:What I found it useful for is to be able to flip through things like craft books or cookbooks you're curious about, but aren't sure if it's something you'd buy. I was able to go through several books on crochet and sewing to weed out ones I thought I'd like, but that really weren't very good. Saved me from having to buy and return a lot of books.

That's a great idea for cookbooks. I often have buyers remorse with them.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
StaceyB
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-staceyb.html

Post by StaceyB »

I have Kindle unlimited, but have only utilized it 4 times in the last year. That being said, I'm not willing to drop my subscription.

Return to “Kindle Discussion and Support”