Problem: Kindle App won't open .mobi file (Solved)

Use this forum to discuss the Amazon's Kindle. This is the forum for you if you are deciding whether or not to buy a Kindle, deciding which Kindle to buy, or you already have a Kindle and need help doing something on it, need support or otherwise just want to talk about Kindles.
Gedion Sunday
Currently Reading: Banished Threads
Bookshelf Size: 143

Re: Problem: Kindle App won't open .mobi file (Solved)

Post by Gedion Sunday »

I cannot download the book. I have clicked on No I Cannot Download the Book button several times. I still receive the message that my status is not updated. I was unable to download the book at all.
rffree
In It Together VIP
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by rffree »

I have been unable to download a book.
Richschic

Post by Richschic »

I tried downloading it to my Galaxy Tab; got it opened, read 10 pages was getting into the story then I had nothing but blank pages. My machine said the file was corrupted and needed to be removed. I then needed to do a virus scan. I will not download the file again.
Eric Kisiangani

Post by Eric Kisiangani »

Thanks for sharing with me the solution on how to access the ebook. I am going to try the options and will come back to you. I am using a laptop.
Bookworm39
Favorite Book: To Tempt a Knight
Currently Reading: to seduce a knight
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookworm39.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Bookworm39 »

I have downloaded .mobi items before on my iPad. This time I can't download the book Yesterday. I made the commitment to reading and reviewing the book Yesterday. I clicked on the .mobi and now I wish I had downloaded the pdf version. Can I get the pdf version? I tried to do option 3 and it says that I can't do it. So what do I do now?
ahputnam

Post by ahputnam »

I get a very specific error message on both the Kindle app on my laptop and on my Kindle: "This book could not be opened (on the Kindle it adds that the book is registered to another user). Please remove the book from your device and re-download it."

I've tried re-downloading the file, but I get the same error message. Any thoughts?
Daklipp
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by Daklipp »

I didn’t successfully download the full file.
LCThomas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by LCThomas »

I followed all the questions and answered them on the day I signed up. Couldn't download the book to any app that I could read it from. The book was a PDF file and I usually send them to my IBooks app but it would not work. At this point I just want to cancel my membership/subscription, whatever, because I have sent for help, never got an answer and keep getting emails that I will be penalized for not updating yada-yada ......just cut me loose, PLEASE!!
Tajmagica
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Tajmagica »

Hi! I downloaded the book
Cant open the mobi file
Did try Option 1
Have kindle
Can't get file from download to books
lydse3

Post by lydse3 »

It won't even allow me to download a copy of the book and now I'm being prompted to review?
Tebzola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Tebzola »

Dear Scott,

I get a network error message when I try to install the Kindle App on my PC.
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

@Scott I have selected a book to review. The download format is using Kindle gift. When I go to Amazon to download it I am told that the Kindle book is no longer available, but I can receive an Amazon gift card instead. So the issue isn't that I can't open the file but that I can't even get it in the first place.

This is what shows up:

Title no longer available
The title you have been gifted is no longer available in the Kindle Store.

We're pleased to offer you an Amazon.com Gift Card of equivalent value good towards thousands of other Kindle books and millions of other items on Amazon.com.

Click to request a gift card from customer service now.
Juliet+135

Post by Juliet+135 »

Hi, I have a problem trying to open the download it says' file can't open'. I have tried using option 1 of the solution provided but no help. What's the way forward?
Bookworm39
Favorite Book: To Tempt a Knight
Currently Reading: to seduce a knight
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookworm39.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Bookworm39 »

When I clicked on the icon, it said that it cannot copy item. The device has either stopped responding or has been disconnected. I have been asking for help. I was supposed to click on my update yesterday but I can't update it. I can't download my book.
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

Kat Berg wrote: 18 Feb 2018, 18:26 @Scott I have selected a book to review. The download format is using Kindle gift. When I go to Amazon to download it I am told that the Kindle book is no longer available, but I can receive an Amazon gift card instead. So the issue isn't that I can't open the file but that I can't even get it in the first place.

This is what shows up:

Title no longer available
The title you have been gifted is no longer available in the Kindle Store.

We're pleased to offer you an Amazon.com Gift Card of equivalent value good towards thousands of other Kindle books and millions of other items on Amazon.com.

Click to request a gift card from customer service now.
And here are the answers to the 5 questions.

1. Did you try the solution above? Which one(s)--Option 1, Option 2, or Option 3? NO. I cannot even get the file in the first place from Amazon. It says it is no longer Available in the Kindle store. None of those options would have been at all helpful to me.
2. Do you get some kind of specific error message? What does it say exactly? See above.
3. What device are you using? I am trying to download it from the Amazon website using my computer.
4. Have you ever been able to open a mobi file in the Kindle App on that device? Every single time. I have, however, had a difficult time when using Kindle gift. The last time it was for an audiobook, however.
5. What other details or information can you provide to help troubleshoot? Any other details are helpful. :) When I reported the problem to Amazon they sent a message that they have given me a gift card to replace the book. They have not actually done that. I checked. Multiple times. I figured I could just get the book that way. The book page numbers do not match between Amazon and what was stated when I selected the book, so I do not know if this is an updated version, as there are more pages listed in the OnlineBooks blurb.

Return to “Kindle Discussion and Support”