Problem: Kindle App won't open .mobi file (Solved)

Use this forum to discuss the Amazon's Kindle. This is the forum for you if you are deciding whether or not to buy a Kindle, deciding which Kindle to buy, or you already have a Kindle and need help doing something on it, need support or otherwise just want to talk about Kindles.
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12472
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Re: Problem: Kindle App won't open .mobi file (Solved)

Post by Dolor »

Meggie Lou wrote: 14 Dec 2017, 22:27 I have attempted to download the book Sigfried's smelly socks! by Len Foley onto my computer and my phone but no matter what I do the book opens with the images too big for the screen, or only half of the page loads. I have attempted all three proposed solutions and none of them have worked.
Have you checked your computer's settings?
Meggie Lou
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meggie-lou.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by Meggie Lou »

I have, and I’ve also tried different devices with no luck. I think it may be a file issue.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Dolor
Currently Reading:

Post by Dolor »

Meggie Lou wrote: 15 Dec 2017, 09:06 I have, and I’ve also tried different devices with no luck. I think it may be a file issue.
Are you using Kindle?

Try downloading free eReader Prestigio app on Google Play Store. This is what I am using since Kindle is not available here in Saudi Arabia. Maybe it will work well with your mobile too.
eshkomy
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by eshkomy »

I put the file with extension .mobi
in the kindle folder but still can't open it. there is no folder named book in the kindle directory.
what can I do now?
Angel0809
Currently Reading: The Nobel Prize
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Angel0809 »

The file is a mobi file and after I downloaded the file it will not open in the Kindle app on my my smartphone. Whenever I try I get an error message saying there isn't an application available to open the file. I even reinstalled the Kindle app.
Dolor
Currently Reading:

Post by Dolor »

Angel0809 wrote: 17 Dec 2017, 12:55 The file is a mobi file and after I downloaded the file it will not open in the Kindle app on my my smartphone. Whenever I try I get an error message saying there isn't an application available to open the file. I even reinstalled the Kindle app.
Try downloading free eReader Prestigio app on Google Play Store. It's what I am using. It works well with my smartphone. I had 3 successful volunteer reviews without any problem in downloading.
Dolor
Currently Reading:

Post by Dolor »

Angel0809 wrote: 17 Dec 2017, 12:55 The file is a mobi file and after I downloaded the file it will not open in the Kindle app on my my smartphone. Whenever I try I get an error message saying there isn't an application available to open the file. I even reinstalled the Kindle app.
You may try Scott's suggestions:

The solution to this problem is to move the file into the books directory of your kindle app. Most devices download the file to a downloads directory first, so you need to move it from the download directory to the books directory.

How do you do that?

Option 1 - You can use a file manager on your device. Your device may already have one pre-installed even if you have never used it. You can also download a free one from the appropriate app store.

Option 2 - You can plug the phone into your computer and move the file from your phone's download folder to your the books folder for your Kindle app.

Option 3 - You can download the book to your computer, plug your phone into your computer and then move the file from your computer to your Kindle app.
AmandaM
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by AmandaM »

I have the kindle app but when I hit download on the page on onlinebookclub it shows pages of codes and no option to download to a certain area
Kadzo mae
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 68272">The Everett Exorcism</a>
Currently Reading: The Hunted
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kadzo-mae.html
Latest Review: "Sigfried&rsquo;s Smelly Socks!" by Len Foley

Post by Kadzo mae »

I have tried to open this book both in Kindle where it is stored in the library and on EReader. In both cases I get the same result is only the front page has downloaded. I've tried re-downloading with the same result. I've tried all options mentioned above with the same result. As I was to review this book I'm at a loss as to what to do. I can't report the error because I haven't successfully downloaded the book. Where do I go from here. Has anyone managed to download this book successfully?
Kadzo mae
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 68272">The Everett Exorcism</a>
Currently Reading: The Hunted
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kadzo-mae.html

Post by Kadzo mae »

The above post related to the book Sigmund's Smelly Socks. Apologies for not Indicating the title.
Dolor
Currently Reading:

Post by Dolor »

Kadzo mae wrote: 19 Dec 2017, 12:51 I have tried to open this book both in Kindle where it is stored in the library and on EReader. In both cases I get the same result is only the front page has downloaded. I've tried re-downloading with the same result. I've tried all options mentioned above with the same result. As I was to review this book I'm at a loss as to what to do. I can't report the error because I haven't successfully downloaded the book. Where do I go from here. Has anyone managed to download this book successfully?
If you have downloaded the first page, you need to update the status on RT page. Click the successful download option. Then click the option that you don't want to continue the review. You will then be asked the reasons behind dropping the book.

You have the option to send private messages to Scott or Gali.

I hope that helps.

Dolor ♡
Insightsintobooks729
Currently Reading: Meet your soul
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks729.html
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks729 »

I tried to download it. I tried the tip you provided. I even tried the prestigo app. When I send it from my email to kindle I get a message that days file unsupported. Its supposed to be a mobi file. (It days its a .mobi file) when I tried in prestigo it says wrong file type or file unsupported.

This is in reference to the book entitled, "Book Blueprint".
"I cannot live without Books" - Thomas Jefferson
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
Dolor
Currently Reading:

Post by Dolor »

Insightsintobooks729 wrote: 19 Dec 2017, 21:10 I tried to download it. I tried the tip you provided. I even tried the prestigo app. When I send it from my email to kindle I get a message that days file unsupported. Its supposed to be a mobi file. (It days its a .mobi file) when I tried in prestigo it says wrong file type or file unsupported.

This is in reference to the book entitled, "Book Blueprint".
I think, downloading books to be reviewed from OBC can be done only once. You have unsuccessfully downloaded it already. Go to Review team page. Click the update button then the option of a successful download. After that, click from the option that you don't want to continue. You will be asked your reasons of dropping the book. Then you can state that you got problem downloading the book.

You can send private messages to Scott and Gali.

Dolor ♡
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Author: Sydney Sheldon
Favorite Book: Spanky
Currently Reading: Culture Man
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-wright.html
Latest Review: Gods Whisper Always Near by Sharon Williams
Reading Device: Android

Post by Rosemary Wright »

Hello Scott,

I just downloaded "Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!" by Len Foley for review. The book is in mobi format. I've opened it in my eBook reader but the pages are blank. I can only see the cover page. What should I do?
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Author: Sydney Sheldon
Favorite Book: Spanky
Currently Reading: Culture Man
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-wright.html
Latest Review: Gods Whisper Always Near by Sharon Williams
Reading Device: Android

Post by Rosemary Wright »

Rosemary Wright wrote: 20 Dec 2017, 12:09 Hello Scott,

I just downloaded "Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!" by Len Foley for review. The book is in mobi format. I've opened it in my eBook reader but the pages are blank. I can only see the cover page. What should I do?
It's okay now. I just opened the file in my kindle app and I can read the book. I did as you instructed. I went to my phone file manager, copied the file from my browser download, pasted it on kindle, closed file manager, opened my kindle app and opened the book.

Thanks.

Return to “Kindle Discussion and Support”