Petition to convert all books into kindle books

Use this forum to discuss the Amazon's Kindle. This is the forum for you if you are deciding whether or not to buy a Kindle, deciding which Kindle to buy, or you already have a Kindle and need help doing something on it, need support or otherwise just want to talk about Kindles.
Shaggy-Reads
Currently Reading: Bound in Flames
Bookshelf Size: 393
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shaggy-reads.html
Latest Review: A Kingdom Forgotten by Charles W. McDonald Jr.

Re: Petition to convert all books into kindle books

Post by Shaggy-Reads »

I have been told by a friend, who is an editor with a publishing company, that many companies are considering making all books available in e-book, audio, and paper in the near future. He said he knows it will take time to fully implement but several are already on the road to fulfillment. For me that’s amazing to even consider. We readers will get the best out of all worlds for any book we desire. I pray there is follow through as this will benefit all reading styles as well as the publishing companies and authors. The easier the content is to access the more money they all make and the more they make available to all of us.
amypattenaude
Favorite Author: Deborah Harkness
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 20
fav_author_id: 2676

Post by amypattenaude »

Well wendygoerl you made some fine points. I can say that I have had the same Kindle since about 2010 with no issues. It started as mostly a convenience for travelling as I could load up several new books to my Kindle, turn off the Wifi, and read all I wanted vs. carrying around large, bulky paperbacks, or even worse a heavy duty hardback. Not practical when you are jumping from one airplane to another.

That being said, Kindle versions of books (when purchased through Amazon) tend to be a lot cheaper than their physical counterparts. I have never owned another e-reader so I can't attest or even comment on other brands/styles/formats because I have never had the need to research them. And I am totally down with getting 5 books on sale in the Kindle shop for $20 as compared to just one copy of a physical book, especially when it comes to certain styles, authors, genres, etc... I save money, room, paper, the environment, and I have never had anything update automatically on me, mostly because I turn that function off on every device I own. And if your Kindle is not connected to the internet they cannot update your versions of the book. Not that I re-read a lot of books, so if they update it, not really a game stopper for me.

All that being said, I love books. Hardcover, paperback, trade versions with all their funky not pretty fonts and layouts. For particularly good series I have been known to shell out quite a good chunk of change to reserve and preorder a copy to be sent to me as soon as it's off the presses. I have also been known to rummage through garage sales, my library's sale shelves, thrift stores, and every clearance rack for every store I have ever walked into that sells books in any way! Which is why I have a huge collection at home, taking up walls and walls of shelf space. And I have tons of Kindle books. It's not a crime to swing both ways on this one!

On the one hand though, nothing is as irritating as getting a brand new book, one you paid so much for you could have ordered pizza for dinner instead. All pretty, shiny and new, crisp cover and spine (that you immediately ruin when you try to read it) and then you, or someone else spills a drink on it, or you drop it in the tub, or the dog chews it, or your coffee mug drips and leaves rings, etc etc etc. Now, it's not new, it may not even be readable. No one will want it as a hand me down, so it's hard to recycle. It's not worth keeping on your shelf because you dropped it in the tub and it looks like it's been dropped in the toilet. And there is no way to fix it. So, you go buy another, or you go to the library and see if it's available, check with some friends to see if you can borrow theirs. Or, if you have a Kindle, and something happens to said Kindle, you can send it in for repairs, replace it, upgrade. And if you, God forbid, are asked to factory reset it doesn't matter because all you have to do is download from your account. No harm no fowl. Especially since, if taken care of, it appears Kindles can last longer than most laptops.

Now I won't comment on the apps, and computers vs. iPhones etc because personally I hate to read a book on anything that resembles a computer screen. Backlit or what have you like a TV, small on an app? Bright colors and glass screens that are either impossible to read outside, or are so hard to find that sweet spot for outside reading that you end up getting a headache from squinting or a cramp from holding the device in a funny angle. Apps update left and right for everything else, so of course ereader apps are doing the same. The technology isn't that old.

And like most things, the decision to go e-reader, app, computer, book, or cave drawing is an extremely personal decision based soley on factors that no one can decide for you. So if you're a waffler and looking for someone to say pick this or buy that, good luck. No one can tell you what your eyes are most comfortable looking at, what your arms are most comfortable holding up, or how much room you can create in your carry on luggage for additional entertainment material!
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 406
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: LaBlance Fish Tales Two by Peter F LaBlance
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Pretty much agreed with you. I also prefer reading on my phone since taking books wherever I go is not practical. So I think it is good that every book can be published along with an e-copy
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Jchris23
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jchris23 »

Petition of converting all books to kindle books.

In my opinion all paperbooks should be converted to kindle books because there are many reasons how it will help people and the environment. First is for people because when books are turned to kindle books people will have an easy access to the books they do not need to go to bookstores or libraries anymore they can search the book online and read on their phones which is very beneficial to people plus they can also use an ebook reader when they have no time to read they can just listen to the story of the book. Second is the environment because when books are turned to kindle books there will be trees to be cut anymore saving the trees and preserving mother nature for the next generation plus it is low cost for there will be no piles of papers to be used in publishing the book, keeping the environment preserved and low expense.

That is why books should be converted to kindle books because it has many benefits easy access, easy to use, preserving nature especially it is low cost
Lily Ahulu
Currently Reading: Jet Girl
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Lily Ahulu »

Will support that

Return to “Kindle Discussion and Support”