Fell asleep on my Kindle! = BROKEN.

Use this forum to discuss the Amazon's Kindle. This is the forum for you if you are deciding whether or not to buy a Kindle, deciding which Kindle to buy, or you already have a Kindle and need help doing something on it, need support or otherwise just want to talk about Kindles.
RheaGrey
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rheagrey.html

Fell asleep on my Kindle! = BROKEN.

Post by RheaGrey »

Hello all,

Just thought I should share my experience with my Amazon Kindle (4th Gen Basic) considering I had a sad experience with mine and I'm hoping I could try and prevent the same thing happening to you.

I had the '4th Gen Kindle Basic', the one that doesn't light up and can only access Amazon's website. I kind of feel like Amazon should have known that I, like most others, would be reading in bed before I fall asleep. I use 'reading' as my way to wind down at night and sometimes, I tend to doze off while reading. Well... that wasn't a good idea. I'm not sure if I should have never started reading in bed, or if I should have bought some sort of cover/protector-thingie? But needless to say, I fell asleep. I awoke in the morning with my Kindle under my pillow (which you'd think would've protected it) with a cracked screen. Nooo! (dramatically act like I'm dying). Not sure if the kindle was originally under my body and got cracked and then slid up under my pillow? Or if my head is THAT heavy where I cracked it... even though it was protected?

I don't know if the newer kindles are more hardy, or if you can buy decent covers to protect it? I just use the Kindle App on my phone now, and it works alright.

Just thought I would give those of you planning on getting a Kindle, or those currently with one, a heads up. I can't imagine how angry I would've been if it would have been a more expensive model!
SparklingOne
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: A Breath of Snow and Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 163
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparklingone.html
Latest Review: "I AM GOD" by Shawn Dall
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by SparklingOne »

How old was the Kindle at the time? Did you have the extra warranty. During the first year Amazon may have replaced it. After that if you bought the extra warranty square trade would have replaced it.
Our lives are defined by opportunities, even the ones we miss.
The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button by F. Scott Fitzgerald.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

This isn't funny at all, but for some reason, I just giggled after I read the topic title.
Are you a very violent sleeper or something? I'm kidding. That sucks about your screen!
I've broken a kindle screen before, but it was a first generation kindle, years and years after it came out. Plus I dropped the thing so many times, it's a miracle that it lasted as long as it did.
I always use a cover protector case thingy, but only because I usually read while I am traveling on trains. After the first time I dropped it on the train, I got the case and haven't had any problems. I don't know how it would hold up if I fell asleep on it...
booklovingolfer
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklovingolfer.html

Post by booklovingolfer »

I guess the only good thing about a broken Kindle is getting to upgrade to the newest version!
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

booklovingolfer wrote:I guess the only good thing about a broken Kindle is getting to upgrade to the newest version!
That is one way to look on the bright side!
My bank account tends to be a pessimist, however...
Good thing I don't have to replace a kindle any time soon! (I hope I didn't just jinx myself here)
patrickt

Post by patrickt »

I broke a Kindle. It was only few weeks old and I was reading and it slipped from my hand. The drop wouldn't have hurt it but I grabbed for it and managed to slap it like a handball into the tile wall of the bathroom. Broke the screen. I knew it wasn't under warranty but sent Amazon an email anyway and they gave me a nice discount on a new Kindle.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

patrickt wrote:I broke a Kindle. It was only few weeks old and I was reading and it slipped from my hand. The drop wouldn't have hurt it but I grabbed for it and managed to slap it like a handball into the tile wall of the bathroom. Broke the screen. I knew it wasn't under warranty but sent Amazon an email anyway and they gave me a nice discount on a new Kindle.
That's awesome! Let's hope this one has a better fate than the last one!
Don't go throwing it into any bathroom walls now! 8)
SparklingOne
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: A Breath of Snow and Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 163
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparklingone.html
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by SparklingOne »

All these broken Kindles. Makes me feel eternally lucky. I keep mine in a case and it's fallen down flights of steps several times but survived unscathed. I have to admit that I make sure I put mine on a bedside table when I get drowsy now. I had never thought about rolling on it during my sleep until reading this.
Our lives are defined by opportunities, even the ones we miss.
The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button by F. Scott Fitzgerald.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

I can't even imagine falling asleep while holding something...
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

I have the kindle paper white. I have also fallen asleep on it a couple times. It never fails to wind up under my pillow along with my phone. So far it hasn't broken but who knows, it's time could be coming.
dina s
Currently Reading: Taken - A Many Lives Story
Bookshelf Size: 440
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by dina s »

oh no, sorry to hear. My grandson sometimes falls asleep with his too and used to do same with laptop. They can get too hot too.
Celticlady
Currently Reading: Josephine Baker's Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 3435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-celticlady.html
Latest Review: Betrayal in Blue by Mark M. Bello
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Celticlady »

Sorry to hear about this. I have a Kindle Fire on a stand that attaches to my bed. This really helps because holding it would be difficult for me over a period of time. I also love to watch tv shows on Netflix, Hulu etc. So this not only is beneficial to me so I don't have to hold the device but it keeps it safe. Hope you can get another one.
proudbookworm
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-proudbookworm.html

Post by proudbookworm »

Thanks for sharing this story. I'm sorry that happened to you. I will be really careful when I own a kindle.
CatlynnHighlights
Currently Reading: Infinite Jest
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catlynnhighlights.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by CatlynnHighlights »

I've fallen asleep holding my Kindle Touch plenty of times, but it hasn't broken in the 7 years I've owned it. I hope that reading this review hasn't jinxed it.

Return to “Kindle Discussion and Support”