Kindle App

Use this forum to discuss the Amazon's Kindle. This is the forum for you if you are deciding whether or not to buy a Kindle, deciding which Kindle to buy, or you already have a Kindle and need help doing something on it, need support or otherwise just want to talk about Kindles.
emcqueen1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6

Re: Kindle App

Post by emcqueen1 »

I agree 100%. I can use my Kindle app on many devices and on the go. I can read anywhere and everywhere. I tell everyone how awesome it is and they should try it out.
meadhbh
Currently Reading: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meadhbh.html
Latest Review: The Last Rite by Chad Morgan

Post by meadhbh »

I love the Kindle app. It's great both for reading Kindle books and PDF files. Honestly has made me want to buy a Kindle.
Emily M
Currently Reading: Swan Garden
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Emily M »

MY kindle broke. Does anyone know how to make the app the kindle you use on here so I can keep my shelves up to date ect ?
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Emily M wrote: 02 Feb 2019, 17:04 MY kindle broke. Does anyone know how to make the app the kindle you use on here so I can keep my shelves up to date ect ?
You can't add the App to the Shelf, nor is it necessary.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Smiley 25
Currently Reading: Individual Advantages
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smiley-25.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by Smiley 25 »

I have enjoyed the Kindle app tremendously so far. I downloaded it onto my IPad. I’m with KateNox....I love the dictionary and other options that pop up. It’s great to be able to highlight passages that you want to remember or go back to.

A question for seasoned users, or those smarter than myself :).......Have you encountered a book that doesn’t have page numbers? One of the books I’m reading has “location numbers” instead of page numbers. To reference a passage in the book do you write Loc 2534 of 4915? For some reason when I type in a location number it seems to go back to the page before where the location number is located. I just want to make sure I get it right when I am referencing any errors I note or any quotes.
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Smiley 25 wrote: 15 Mar 2019, 06:19 I have enjoyed the Kindle app tremendously so far. I downloaded it onto my IPad. I’m with KateNox....I love the dictionary and other options that pop up. It’s great to be able to highlight passages that you want to remember or go back to.

A question for seasoned users, or those smarter than myself :).......Have you encountered a book that doesn’t have page numbers? One of the books I’m reading has “location numbers” instead of page numbers. To reference a passage in the book do you write Loc 2534 of 4915? For some reason when I type in a location number it seems to go back to the page before where the location number is located. I just want to make sure I get it right when I am referencing any errors I note or any quotes.
Some books have “location numbers” instead of page numbers.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Chelsey Coles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsey-coles.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chelsey Coles »

I am a voracious Google user. Google Play Books has been my go-to for a while. After I broadened my horizons to Amazon Kindle...

It's better. Lol. The features it provides greatly exceed Play Books. The navigation is smooth. The notebook system is extremely helpful. However I don't understand why there are sometimes locations instead of page numbers. Otherwise, love it!!!
“It's far less important to me to be liked these days than to be understood.” :sad-teareye:
― Lionel Shriver, We Need to Talk About Kevin
tanner87cbs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanner87cbs.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by tanner87cbs »

I use the Amazon app on my Android devices and like it because I can play around with font, colors, and size of text. Sometimes the pages get mixed up if the book is not fully formatted right. I recently read a Kindle Unlimited book, the chapters were not defined in the download, and it was all counted as one chapter. That was pretty frustrating.
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

I had to excise the app from my phone due to storage constraints, but I downloaded it on my laptop for convenience. Now that I have a Fire 8, it's even more so because I don't have a case to take the tablet with me. I can read anywhere as long as I have a wifi connection so that I can perform the initial sync. It's really a smart thing to do, getting the app.

(Also, the number of free classics on Amazon that I can download to it because of public domain access makes me so happy. I finally have a copy of Treasure Island again.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Sinclairess wrote: 21 Mar 2019, 13:11 I am a voracious Google user. Google Play Books has been my go-to for a while. After I broadened my horizons to Amazon Kindle...

It's better. Lol. The features it provides greatly exceed Play Books. The navigation is smooth. The notebook system is extremely helpful. However I don't understand why there are sometimes locations instead of page numbers. Otherwise, love it!!!
Oh, that one I have an explanation for. Basically, it depends on the book, but some publishers don't provide page numbers for their books. So, the first thing to do is switch the read count, since it cycles between location, time left (chapter and/or book) and pages. If the pages aren't there, the publisher didn't provide it.

Smiley 25 wrote: 15 Mar 2019, 06:19 I have enjoyed the Kindle app tremendously so far. I downloaded it onto my IPad. I’m with KateNox....I love the dictionary and other options that pop up. It’s great to be able to highlight passages that you want to remember or go back to.

I don't really have a remedy for this one, but with the location number, if you copy the text from the app, it should give you the specific location of that bit. The location number you usually see is the general number for that page on the app, so copy and pasting helps to get more detailed than that.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Smiley 25
Currently Reading: Individual Advantages
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smiley-25.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by Smiley 25 »

Thank you Nisha Ward for your response!! That helps a lot.
janelwhite
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janelwhite.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B00C5W16B8

Post by janelwhite »

I just found this app about 2 months ago and I love it!! I put it on my iPad and was blown away when all my books were right at my fingertips without having my Kindle! It is so amazing! If you have a Kindle you have to use this app on your other devices!
vermontelf
Currently Reading: The faerie wand
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermontelf.html
Latest Review: The Follower by L. Hillis

Post by vermontelf »

I too, love the app. I have it on my phone (I also have audible on my phone) and on our tablet. While waiting for kiddos, I can always read a few pages. The fact that my devices automatically sync is super helpful!
Wanja Hannah
Currently Reading: From Liberty to Magnolia: In Search of the American Dream
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wanja-hannah.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Wanja Hannah »

I now have a Kindle app and I can read many book formats.
Wanja Kenya
happygirl37
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 509
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-happygirl37.html
Latest Review: Experiencia de vida by Clara limonta

Post by happygirl37 »

I absolutely agree. With the app I can read anywhere with my phone, even if I forget my kindle or physical book.

Return to “Kindle Discussion and Support”