Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Books and Reading » E-Books and E-Readers » Kindle Discussion and Support

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

To Kindle or not to Kindle?

Use this forum to discuss the Amazon's Kindle. This is the forum for you if you are deciding whether or not to buy a Kindle, deciding which Kindle to buy, or you already have a Kindle and need help doing something on it, need support or otherwise just want to talk about Kindles.

Re: To Kindle or not to Kindle?

Post Number:#106 by Aakaraw
» 31 Jan 2017, 05:55

I have been using the amazon kindle app for quite some time now and am very happy with it. I don't think you need to buy a separate device for it, instead just downloaded the kindle app on your android phone and get to reading
Aakaraw

Currently Reading: The Invisible Man
Bookshelf Size: 14 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle Paperwhite
2017 Reading Goal: 20 Books
Goal Completion: 10%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Post Number:#107 by CZCampbell
» 26 Apr 2017, 13:33

I love my kindle paperwhite. My dad bought me my first kindle in 2009 and I refused to even turn it on for a year. I felt as though I was betraying books and book stores! I finally cracked when someone told me I could get my college textbooks on them for free - and it meant I didn't have to lug around all of those heavy books! Slowly textbooks turned into travel books which turned into something I have near me everyday. I really love the lack of a backlight, however it does cause problems when trying to read in bed while my fiance sleeps. Problem solved: bought a little mini book light - works like a charm.
CZCampbell

Currently Reading: Nighthawk: Sons of de Wolfe
Bookshelf Size: 45 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle Paperwhite
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 11%

Post Number:#108 by BarryEM
» 26 Apr 2017, 14:56

CZCampbell wrote: I really love the lack of a backlight, however it does cause problems when trying to read in bed while my fiance sleeps. Problem solved: bought a little mini book light - works like a charm.

You might want to look into the Kindle Paperwhite. It has a front light. That's entirely different than the light on a tablet which shines through the transparent screen and into your eyes, and disappears when you get out in the sun. The Paperwhite has an invisible coating over the front of the screen that evenly (very evenly) spreads light across the opaque screen so you're seeing reflected light, just as you are if you read by lamplight. It makes reading easy in the dark. I don't personally find that pleasant but a lot of people do it. And if you take it out in the sun it's still just perfect.

But even better, the light is designed to increase the contrast of the screen so it's easier to read, even in good light; hence the name Paperwhite.

You have to see it to understand how really well it works.

By the way, I'm not a Kindle shill. Kobo and Nook also have front lights and they're every bit as good. :)

Barry
BarryEM

Bookshelf Size: 0 books
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books

Post Number:#109 by HDoyle
» 29 Apr 2017, 12:38

I've had the Paperwhite for a while now and have no complaints. I love that I can read outdoors on my deck and don't have to deal with glare preventing me from being able to see the screen. The compact size makes carrying all my books around much easier - fits nicely in my purse and I can pull it out whenever I have time to spare (waiting for appointments, travel, etc.).
HDoyle

Currently Reading:
Goal Completion: 0%

Post Number:#110 by Day2cute
» 30 Apr 2017, 03:28

trace91 wrote:I am thinking of buying a Kindle but I have no idea which one I should get. I feel overwhelmed when I walk into a store and ask about the different models. Any help or suggestions would be great.

Hey 👋🏾!!! I have a kindle fire and personally I love it I can't travel with out it go to school or work with out it! The memory on it is phenomenal and I have over 1000 books on there. I don't no much about gaming on there the most I can endure is solitaire however if you want it for books to read or magazines to read the kindle fire is the one. The web browser sucks I know the new kindle browsers are better! I hope this help

Ddope
Day2cute

Post Number:#111 by csimmons032
» 01 May 2017, 15:45

I enjoy my Paperwhite Kindle a lot. I think it just depends on what you are looking to use it for. For example the Paperwhite Kindle that I have would only be used for reading, whereas you can play games and maybe even watch shows and movies on otherwise, although I am not sure of that one. I do know you can play games on other ones though. So it just depends on what your preferences are.
csimmons032's Latest Review: "Transforming Faith" by Fred Howard
csimmons032

Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 715 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#112 by kelly26
» 07 Jun 2017, 12:22

I have the kindle app on my phone so I can read whenever I want. I have my kindle but done use it too often but if your just looking for something with books then the paperwhite is the way to go.
kelly26

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#113 by Zoey
» 16 Jun 2017, 13:17

Certainly to Kindle :D When I first purchased my kindle, I was nervous. I did not understand how such a low priced tablet could hold such quality. It took me a matter of days to realize that it is worth MUCH more than you pay for it. The reading experience on the kindle is quite enhanced. The page turning leaves your eyes thinking it is a print book, yet you still have the ache for the feel of the soft pages. I am a very hands on gal :) Aside from the page turning, the built in dictionary allow for great aid when reading both on and offline- no download required. It is already there! I am more impressed with this kindle than I have ever been with my Ipad. It is half the price and twice as nice! If you are considering a kindle, I would say go for it! It is worth every penny!
Never judge a book by its movie.
Zoey

Currently Reading: Sharing Jesus
Bookshelf Size: 28 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 25 Books
Goal Completion: 68%

Post Number:#114 by FireFairy
» 26 Jul 2017, 11:52

I got my Kindle for Christmas in my junior year of high school. Before my dad got it for me I was completely appalled at the idea of e-books and e-readers. I was completely convinced that paper books are better, and truthfully I love paper books way more. All that being said, I absolutely love my Kindle! I can borrow books from the library with it as well as get more free books than ever before, and when I really love a book I get it in paper for my collection. I have a Kindle Fire and use it for way more than reading as well. I have games, apps, and access to all my social media platforms; it's very entertaining. Another thing I love about the e-readers is that along with reading a lot of regular books I also read a lot of comics and manga and I have way more access to the second two with the e-reader. There are so many apps dedicated to comics and manga and really anything you could want, so it's been really helpful for me who loves to read all types of things.

If you get a Kindle then don't think you're neglecting paper books, because I thought that's what would happen to me, but instead my library collection is bigger than ever and filled with books I know I love. I don't regret getting my Kindle and it has lasted for four years for me already and is still going strong. There have been a few glitches in the past, but they are rare and have only been happening in the fourth year I've had it. I'm considering getting a new one, but for now my current one still works great. I would definitely recommend the Kindle Fire if you want a e-reader that can do way more than just read. If you want a reader strictly for reading I would use a different model. Good luck with your search and with your decision! :)
FireFairy

Favorite Book: A Court of Thorns and Roses
Currently Reading: Deity
Bookshelf Size: 17 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Fire HDX 7

Post Number:#115 by Mario Vanesto
» 26 Sep 2017, 16:01

I'm glad I read this post. For a long time I was like what's the deal about kindle. But now I know better. Which is more expensive from all the typed mentioned above?
Mario Vanesto

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5 books

Previous