To Kindle or not to Kindle?

Use this forum to discuss the Amazon's Kindle. This is the forum for you if you are deciding whether or not to buy a Kindle, deciding which Kindle to buy, or you already have a Kindle and need help doing something on it, need support or otherwise just want to talk about Kindles.
Netgirl
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netgirl.html

Re: To Kindle or not to Kindle?

Post by Netgirl »

You should go with the kindle fire. It's cheap, pretty decent, and honestly it's a well rounded tablet. The only thing you really end up having to buy/invest in is an SD card to expand the memory, but even then it's only like a $10 for a decent one. I had a friend buy me the Kindle Fire last year and it's been pretty steady. I mean the most it can do is play videos and I can read books on it, but that's all I really wanted it for anyway. I also just downloaded calibre so I could convert book files friends send me and slap them onto my e-reader.
Dondoug
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dondoug.html

Post by Dondoug »

Wow everyone. Thank you for your insights
Tamsyn
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamsyn.html

Post by Tamsyn »

What is the battery life like?
BarryEM

Post by BarryEM »

I have a Kindle Fire and it's okay for games and videos and I could use it for reading but the screen really isn't much good for reading. It's kind of grainy. I can see the individual pixels. It's just too low resolution to be a good reading device.

I realize a lot of people do read on them and there's no reason it can't be done but a regular Kindle, not a Fire tablet, has a much sharper screen and makes reading a lot better. Also the backlight on the Fire is a light shining straight into your eyes as you read so people who have problems with eyestrain will have a lot of problems with this.

Kindles have a front light that uses a coating over the screen to spread light evenly over the screen, pretty much the same way a lamp over your shoulder does. It makes a huge difference. All the Kindles except the very cheapest model have a front light.

By the way, battery life on the Fire is about average. I have a number of tablets and it doesn't need charging more often than the others. I've never actually measured it. I never turn mine off. It's the one that's always ready when I need a tablet at hand. I charge it about every other day. When I'm not using it it discharges less than most tablets. When I am using it it's about average.

Barry

Barry
dawn_1999_20

Post by dawn_1999_20 »

I love my kindle fire 7 and it was easy to set up.
Ciscobabey
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ciscobabey.html

Post by Ciscobabey »

I am addicted to my Kindle Fire, I have abused it and used it like crazy and if you are a hardcore reader I will always suggest it. When I am ready for another e-reader I am considering another one.
aquaticavioneous80

Post by aquaticavioneous80 »

I heard that amazon subscribers can read certain ebooks for free. Kindleabra
BarryEM

Post by BarryEM »

If you have an Amazon Prime account they have a rotating stock of about 1,000 books that are free. It's a new things so nobody knows how often the books change yet.

A Prime account is the account that gets you 2 day free shipping on purchases from Amazon. I live in a rural area and I don't have a car so I've had my Prime account for about a decade. And they keep adding new features to it. Thousands of movies and TV shows are free to stream or download. They've had a feature where you could read a free book a month for some years but only on an actual Kindle device, not on one of the apps. Now they've added this new 1,000 book thing. The selection doesn't seem bad. I read one book from it.

Barry
mhawki36
Currently Reading: Doing Time
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mhawki36.html

Post by mhawki36 »

I swore I would never succumb to the ereader fad. When I was given a Kindle Fire for Christmas, I just used its display for movies.
HOWEVER
I found myself purchasing the new (at the time) Kindle Paperwhite.
While I will never allow myself to use it more than reading print, it has come in handy.
It is small, and looks like an actual page.
I can't distract myself with other apps, etc. because it is just an ereader, not a tablet like the fire.
It is compatible with goodreads and I often look on my TBR list for inspiration for a purchase rather than buying a book out of impulse (as I often do with printed books).
I have limited space, so I like to get ebook forms of books which I would likely not feel inclined to keep.
Ebooks can sometimes be cheaper.
The ereader can go many places a book cannot.
Others cannot see the title or cover of the book.
The battery will last for days, if not weeks depending on how much it is used.

While never my first choice, I do like my ereader, but it is definitely an individual's choice for their lifestyle.
Aakaraw
Currently Reading: The Invisible Man
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aakaraw.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Aakaraw »

Kindle app is available for your mobile... So you can search your app store and download it on your phone itself if you don't want to buy kindle
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
Kwatson13

Post by Kwatson13 »

A Kindle is definitely on my wish list because I've been a voracious reader since my mom enrolled me in a book club when I was six months old. Little did she know that meant coping with hundreds of books a year from then on. A Kindle would be a dream come true because I could always have hundreds of books at my fingertips without exacerbating my carpal tunnel :wink2:
Beth Perry

Post by Beth Perry »

I bought the first Kindle when it was introduced in 2007. I don't know how I ever lived without e-readers. I used to carry loads of books with me on trips, in the car in case of a traffic jam, whatever. Now I just have my handy little Kindle and have 9000 books at my disposal (yes, 9000 - I am a bookaholic).

I have a kindle in my purse, a paperwhite by my bed, and a Fire by my chair in the living room. That's not counting the Kindle app on my phone. I looked at the Nook when it came out but it didn't seem to stack up to kindle.

Amazon has lead the way and continues to innovate in this area. I don't think you can go wrong with kindle or any of it's incarnations.

-- 13 Dec 2016, 19:52 --
Mike_Lang
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 50592">The Life and Times of The Thunderbolt Kid</a>
Currently Reading: Mississippi Noir
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mike-lang.html
Latest Review: "Justice Prevails" by Colin Lodder
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Mike_Lang »

If you are considering getting a Kindle now is a good time, Amazon has them on sale for the holidays.
Latest Review: "Justice Prevails" by Colin Lodder
Dcal22
Currently Reading: jab jab jab right hook
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dcal22.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Dcal22 »

I have the kindle fire hd and love it. It is great as a tablet but I love it for reading as well. I have used a paper white previously and loved that as well. As others have said I would agree if you are only reading get the paper white, but if you are looking for something that is multipurpose the kindle fire is great and low cost if you purchase from Amazon. It is nice to have all your books in one place (even though I love a real book) :)
rodidas
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rodidas.html

Post by rodidas »

I recently went through this debate myself. I knew I wanted an e-reading device but didn't know which one to get. My two choices came down to the Nook or Kindle. What sealed the deal on the Kindle was the fact that I am an avid Amazon shopper so I can get better deals on the e-books. Also, the kindle allows you to access reads on Kindle Unlimited if you choose to sign up for that program.

Return to “Kindle Discussion and Support”