To Kindle or not to Kindle?

Use this forum to discuss the Amazon's Kindle. This is the forum for you if you are deciding whether or not to buy a Kindle, deciding which Kindle to buy, or you already have a Kindle and need help doing something on it, need support or otherwise just want to talk about Kindles.
bookworm68
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookworm68.html

Re: To Kindle or not to Kindle?

Post by bookworm68 »

I just bought the Kindle Fire about a month ago, and I love it. I switched over from Nook.
Pinkrose353
Currently Reading: Of Faith and Freedom
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pinkrose353.html
Latest Review: "The Covert Messiah" by J R Lankford
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Pinkrose353 »

I got tired of lifting all the heavy book boxes every time we moved, so I asked my kids for a Kindle as a Christmas present :D They pooled their money and got me the Kindle Touch paper-white along with the the lamp that I can flip open at bedtime. No need for a bedside lamp anymore!

The battery charge lasts at least a week for me.

I presently have about 350 books on my Kindle, all sorted into 12 different categories...and they all fit into my small purse?

Two other features I love:
1.The "search" function, where I can either search one book, or my whole library.
2. The dictionary in the background: I just highlight the word in question, and voilà, the definition pops right up as a small window, that I can quickly close after I read it.

All in all, I love my Kindle so much, I hardly ever read a paper book anymore.
Latest Review: "The Covert Messiah" by J R Lankford
Mike_Lang
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 50592">The Life and Times of The Thunderbolt Kid</a>
Currently Reading: Mississippi Noir
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mike-lang.html
Latest Review: "Justice Prevails" by Colin Lodder

Post by Mike_Lang »

Just got the entry level Kindle. The basic e-reader (8th generation) without the light. So far I'm very happy with it.

Prior to getting my Kindle I read e-books on my 10-inch screen tablet which was okay, but it kind of negated the whole portable option to be carrying that big thing around. Several people warned me I should get the paperwhite but I wasn't 100% sure I would like the kindle experience so I went with the less expensive option.
MrsW611
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by MrsW611 »

I currently have a Kindle Fire, it's great for traveling as it is basically a tablet. I can watch tv shows and go on pinterest or Facebook. However the one I have doesn't seem to have much space on it for storing books, if you are looking to purchase a Kindle specifically for reading I would look into another model, like the paper white. The paper white has a touch screen that is easier on the eyes than all other models of the Kindle. Hope this helps!
Muhammad Nadeem
Favorite Author: Paulo Coelho
Currently Reading: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient
Bookshelf Size: 456
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-muhammad-nadeem.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 2451

Post by Muhammad Nadeem »

I have Kindle Paper White and it's good.
Lauren M
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lauren-m.html
Latest Review: "Everything I Need to Know About Love I Learned From Pop Songs" by Laura Roberts

Post by Lauren M »

I agree, they have a bunch of Kindle models to choose from. The previous posters have said it all well. Kindle Fire is more of a tablet and the Kindle Paperwhite (which i own) is the best for reading with it's built in backlight. Also, I opted to pay more for the kindle WITHOUT special offers. I don't know what the offers look like, but in general I don't like ads and soliciting on my personal devices. It was $20 more and well worth it to me.
Latest Review: "Everything I Need to Know About Love I Learned From Pop Songs" by Laura Roberts
Endless Whispers
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-endless-whispers.html

Post by Endless Whispers »

I do jave a kindle and i love it. Its an older one, dont think they make those anymore, but i love it because i can store a lot of books and cary one thing when on vacation instead os a stack of books. Its lighter too. I still prefer paperback copies tho, even over the hardcover ones. So i would say kindle for travel, paperback anywhere else.
BarryEM

Post by BarryEM »

I have most of them. I have a Paperwhite, actually 3 of them, one of each generation. I have a Voyage. I have 4 different generations of the Fires. They're all good. The Fires are useful for a lot of things but the new models are just so-so as tablets. If you want a tablet there are better choices.

If you want something for reading any of the lighted Kindles are excellent. For indoor reading they're better than the Fires. For outdoor reading they're as good as they are indoors, maybe better, while the Fires become difficult to use.

If reading is what you want to do I suggest either a Paperwhite, Voyage or Oasis. Actually I don't have the Oasis but it has the same screen and features as the others. I do worry about it's small internal battery though. That's why I don't have one.

The Paperwhite and the Voyage are both excellent. They're the state of the art in reading. I also have the latest Nook and an earlier Kobo ereader, all of which are good, but the kindles are better. And they have the Amazon book store.

My suggestion is to get the Voyage if you can easily afford it and if it's a stretch get the Paperwhite. The differences in them are small. Small but nice. The Voyage is smaller and lighter in your hand. Other than that they're pretty much the same. Oh yeah, the Voyage has a self-adjusting light which I find doesn't ever quite fit my tastes so I keep that turned off and set the light where I want it. And the Voyage has Page Press, which is a kind of simulated page turn button system, which does work very well but I don't see much need for it so I also keep that turned off.

There's a basic Kindle for $80 but it has no light. Other than that it has the same features as the Paperwhite although the screen isn't as sharp. Once you try the lighted e-ink reader you'll never want to use one without the light. The light is nothing like the light on a tablet. It actually shines down on the surface where the tablet light shines up into your eyes from behind the screen. The e-ink screen is totally opaque.

Barry
Peggys+Place54

Post by Peggys+Place54 »

My kids decided that I needed a Kindle because I read so much. But I was not buying it. I love the feel of the book in my hands as I read. They got me a basic Kindle for my birthday and I'll have to say that I use it more than I thought I would. I still read an occasional book, but mainly the Kindle. It's easy to stick in my purse and I have a variety of books on it so I can chose what fits my mood.
Celticlady
Currently Reading: Josephine Baker's Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 3435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-celticlady.html
Latest Review: Betrayal in Blue by Mark M. Bello
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Celticlady »

I have a Kindle Fire 7, I really like it because I can do more on it than just read. If all you want to do is read on a Kindle then get the Kindle Paperwhite. But for the money I would get a Kindle. Not only can you get the Kindle app, but there are other apps as well. I have some books that require a different reader.
ebeth
Currently Reading: The Color of Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebeth.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Reading Device: B0097BEFA4

Post by ebeth »

You might want to even look into getting an Ipad. I have heard wonderful things about them. As for the kindles, I owned once that lasted only a little over a year and so did my best friend. So just really do your research.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Eleahy_07
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eleahy-07.html
Latest Review: "Achieve Your Dreams" by Scott Hughes and A. Lynn Powers and Adam Buongiovanni

Post by Eleahy_07 »

I have always said I'm a physical book owner and not a digital one but the idea has always tempted me. How much does the paperwhite cost???
Latest Review: "Achieve Your Dreams" by Scott Hughes and A. Lynn Powers and Adam Buongiovanni
BarryEM

Post by BarryEM »

ebeth wrote:You might want to even look into getting an Ipad. I have heard wonderful things about them. As for the kindles, I owned once that lasted only a little over a year and so did my best friend. So just really do your research.
I live in a retirement home and I've bought every new model Kindle since early 2009. I've had more than one of some models. I give or sell my old ones to other tenants living here. All of them, without exception, are still being used regularly. None has ever had a problem.

Also a number of other tenants here have bought Kindles of their own and I've helped them get started with them. None of them has ever had a problem. Kindles last if you take care of them.

Anyone can get unlucky and it sounds like you did but that's not the norm.

I've also had a few Ipads as well as Android tablets. All of them have held up well. The difference is that Kindles with their e-ink screen are much nicer for reading and give much less eyestrain. However a lot of people read on tablets and enjoy them. They're good enough if the backlight doesn't give you eyestrain when you read. Kindles are better for reading and for your eyes, but they're pretty useless for anything else.

Barry
eBurns10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eburns10.html

Post by eBurns10 »

I prefer to stick to paper books because I love to turn the pages and feel the book in my hands. Kindles and even the app on my phone are hard for me to use. I don't get as interested in the book and I find they take me longer to read. Unfortunately it's usually cheaper to read via kindle versus a "real" book unless you are getting them from the library.
Mike_Lang
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 50592">The Life and Times of The Thunderbolt Kid</a>
Currently Reading: Mississippi Noir
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mike-lang.html

Post by Mike_Lang »

Eleahy_07 wrote:I have always said I'm a physical book owner and not a digital one but the idea has always tempted me. How much does the paperwhite cost???
They currently go for about $120, that's with the special offers (when you're not using it advertisements and suggestions for other books pop up on the screen - it doesn't interfere with the reading at all), without the special offers it's $20 more. You can buy one with the special offers and then pay the extra later to have them removed if you decide you don't want them.

Sometimes they will have special one day price reductions or flash sales, especially around the holidays, and you can get it much cheaper.

As I posted earlier, I wasn't sure I would like the kindle so I got the cheaper one - without the light - now I wish I had went ahead and got the Paperwhite.

Return to “Kindle Discussion and Support”