To Kindle or not to Kindle?

Use this forum to discuss the Amazon's Kindle. This is the forum for you if you are deciding whether or not to buy a Kindle, deciding which Kindle to buy, or you already have a Kindle and need help doing something on it, need support or otherwise just want to talk about Kindles.
twinsmom2
Currently Reading: Deadly Sixteen
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-twinsmom2.html

Re: To Kindle or not to Kindle?

Post by twinsmom2 »

I love all the Kindles. I have been getting them since they came out. They are so convenient when you are out and about.
robby12345uk
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robby12345uk.html

Post by robby12345uk »

I really enjoyed my Kindle until my younger son dropped it and smashed the screen but to be honest using a Kindle app on another device works every bit as well.
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

I got the Kindle paperwhite after swearing off all ereaders and I absolutely love it! It's much easier to read on and I don't get a headache from glare because there is none! :)
dda0615
Currently Reading: Little Women
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by dda0615 »

I have a soft spot for actual books, whether I read them or not. I like the feel, the smell, and the older the book, the better. However, I am finally considering getting a Kindle. I like the idea of having an unlimited supply of books with me at all times, but I was wondering if anyone could tell me if it is more cost effective? I was looking at Amazon and the eBooks seem to be only $1 or $2 cheaper than the paperbacks at my local bookstore. Is it really worth getting?
Maral1487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maral1487.html

Post by Maral1487 »

I had a hard time with this transition to. It's so hard to let go of that feeling of just opening up a brand new adventure. It's not the same to read it from a screen. I admit, the Kindle is very convenient. It's great to not have to wait especially if you are on a series. You can jump into the next book right away. However, I just have the old school love of walking around the bookstore and searching for that one stand out cover.
mimilyell09
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mimilyell09.html

Post by mimilyell09 »

I do not have a kindle but would love to have one. I read my kindle books from my kindle app on my phone. Are the kindles worth getting?
alfiesroll
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alfiesroll.html

Post by alfiesroll »

I have the cheapest Kindle, and i'm all happy about that! But I love to read physical books too... I don't know.
PeterTRoth
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by PeterTRoth »

Get an amazon fire tablet. they have all the features built in and they are only about $50
Chee2215

Post by Chee2215 »

I received a kindle fire as a gift and I must admit after giving it the old college try its sat on a shelf for the past three months. I'm a traditionalist. I like the feel of turning a page, a soft cover in my hands on the beach, the crack of the binding when you first open a hard cover book. Even the use of whatever scrap paper or junk mail I find to use as a book mark still brings me back to the days of being a kid and reading those first "chapter" books. I feel like the kindle is great if your traveling for a longer period whereby you can't bring the bulk of several books or can't handle the extra weight in a bag but otherwise for the daily I'm all about the hand held, page turning book.
Jess96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jess96.html

Post by Jess96 »

If you basically want a tablet with the capacity to read books, then a Kindle Fire HD is good. I have one, and I use it for games and online stuff along with the actual books.

That being said, if you just want to read, I would recommend Paperwhite. Its battery lasts longer; plus (and this is a big issue for me), it's a whole lot easier to read outside because the glare from the sun isn't nearly as pronounced as your typical touch screen.
WinterSugar3

Post by WinterSugar3 »

I purchased an IPad and downloaded the kindle and nook app. Then when purchasing an e-book, I can see if one or the other is cheaper. I tend to lean more towards the kindle these days seeing that I have the Unlimited Kindle book subscription.
vaughn2015
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by vaughn2015 »

A traditional reader, several years ago I finally let my children talk me into getting a Kindle. We discussed it and I made it clear that I didn't want anything with bells and whistles--just a reader! I am easily overwhelmed by too many stimuli, especially involving technology, and at the time I had almost no Internet skills or experience. I got a Kindle Paperwhite. On it, I can read books. I had the Kindle for many months before even opening it. Then I hit a patch of my life when I couldn't afford to keep buying books, even paperbacks, and was out of reach of a library. Out came the Kindle, and during that time I relied on it entirely for my reading life.

Today I try hard to only purchase books I know I will reread or use as references and I am within an easy walk of a branch library. I choose one or the other of those options almost always. If the book I want isn't 95% certain to become a valued permanent possession or if there is ice on the sidewalks, I consider ordering it for the Kindle.

There is nothing in this world that compares to the sheer sensual pleasure of a real book--the heft in my hand, the feel of the cover and the pages, the smell if it's an older volume. I still find it nearly impossible to curl up with my Kindle.

The Kindle is convenient and, in the absence of other options, a lifesaver. I don't think it will ever be my first choice.
Karen M
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Karen M »

I have a Kindle touchscreen. It's not a tablet; it's simply an e-reader. As a reading teacher, I prefer paperback books when I'm teaching. They are easier to thumb back through to look at passages. For strictly pleasure reading, and especially for traveling, I love my Kindle. Many public libraries have online books for borrowing! Get connected and get reading! :techie-studyingbrown:
Nicole638

Post by Nicole638 »

I wanted the Kindle Fire HD for a long time and then I managed to get a hold of the Kindle Fire. I loved it, and I've had it now for three years, and it hasn't broken in any way. However, my sister managed to get the Kindle Fire HD and it kept crashing and breaking every few weeks. She looked it up and apparently it happens often with the Kindle Fire HD.
Booky_BettyC
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 55482">Hex Hall</a>
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booky-bettyc.html
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel

Post by Booky_BettyC »

I just put my order in for the Kindle Paperwhite. Very excited to receive it in a few weeks. When I read up on the differences between the models, the Paperwhite seemed to definitely be the best choice.
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel

Return to “Kindle Discussion and Support”